Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Installing RCM Client on an MP C4504ex

I just ran into this yesterday and today; I thought I’d share.

I was tasked with installing the RCM client software on an MP C4504ex. “RCM” stands for “Ricoh Content Manager”, and is the new version of Document Mall. The customer just got a new MP C4504ex a few weeks ago to replace their older 03 model.

Same database on the back end, but RCM is a significant improvement in the user interface.

Simple, right? Nope Nope Nope Nope.

I went to download the client files for it from the RCM site. Right off, I saw an issue. The Java files only go through Java 11.x, and this machine is Java 12.x.

After making a few calls, I found nobody who had installed RCM on an SOP2 machine, or even an SOP1. Documentation is non-existent. There is a Word doc you can download along with the Java files, but it only covers installing the client...nothing more.

I called Support, and was told the 11.x version should work.

I was skeptical, but it does.

The goofy part was that at first I couldn’t find the RCM app on the screen. Turns out it was sitting there, all by its lonesome, on the last app page.

Pressing and holding the button down allowed the app to be moved to the home screen.

It’s also possible to use ICE to scan to RCM, that offers a few more features, but ICE requires a paid subscription, of which there are several options. The machine ships with a 60 day trial of ICE pre-installed...don’t let that fool you into thinking it’s already there. It is, until the trial period expires. And good luck on finding any kind of dates as to just when that is, or when the clock started. The ICE version is an Android app, which works in native mode, whereas the Java app lives in compatibility world.

This has been a public service announcement.
    Last edited by KenB; 04-19-2018 at 04:06 AM.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins