Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Printing issues with IBM AS/400 and MP3554 with smart OP

Have a customer with an AS/400 that is having issues printing to their MP3554. It's been an intermittent thing since they got it about a year or two ago. It is currently setup to print use host print transform with manufacturer set to RICOHMP2352 on port 9100.

There are times where it will just stop printing between jobs, or stop printing after a period of time. Today I had the machine off for about an hour to do a 120k pm on it and after turning it back on the AS/400 would not print to it again. Generally stopping the print service on the AS/400 and starting it again solves the problem, but not permanently.

I've already disabled the controller sleeping using SP 5191.

Any other suggestions?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Printing issues with IBM AS/400 and MP3554 with smart OP

Is the customer OK with other printers attached to the AS/400? Do they have the same issues?

If they have problems, too, it could be an AS/400 issue. Maybe the spooler is having problems.

I know that, just like Microsoft, IBM frequently release patches for the AS/400, although I don't remember what they call them.

Sometimes changing the protocol makes a difference.

I don't remember if the AS/400 can perform LPR natively or not; it may be worth a shot. If it does, and allows a port name, use "lp". If it only allows a port number, use port 515.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Is the customer OK with other printers attached to the AS/400? Do they have the same issues?

If they have problems, too, it could be an AS/400 issue. Maybe the spooler is having problems.

I know that, just like Microsoft, IBM frequently release patches for the AS/400, although I don't remember what they call them.

Sometimes changing the protocol makes a difference.

I don't remember if the AS/400 can perform LPR natively or not; it may be worth a shot. If it does, and allows a port name, use "lp". If it only allows a port number, use port 515.
    I believe this is the only printer having an issue. They may even have other Ricoh printers that they print to from it but if they do they are much older MP2550B

I think they are up to date patch wise.

As far as Protocol I think they are using PJL but honestly I'm not sure. It looks like the printer should be able to handle LPR PJL and SNMP so I was thinking about a suggestion to change to a different one.

It's the local county government for a low population county that doesn't have a lot of money so things can be a bit.... haphazard. I'm not even sure if the printer and AS/400 are on the same VLAN, because while I was there yesterday one of their two IT people had me switch the IP address and subnet of the machine to something different.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Does the MP 3554 have the PostScript3 Unit Type M12 EDP code 417079 installed? The free PS3 emulator that is part of the PDF direct print does not always with IBM AS/400 Health Information systems.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Are you printing via SCS (Simplified Command Set) or via IPDS (Intelligent Print Data Stream)?

Is there like an Axis 570e 3rd party IPDS box in your configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Does the MP 3554 have the PostScript3 Unit Type M12 EDP code 417079 installed? The free PS3 emulator that is part of the PDF direct print does not always with IBM AS/400 Health Information systems.
    No post script.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Are you printing via SCS (Simplified Command Set) or via IPDS (Intelligent Print Data Stream)?

Is there like an Axis 570e 3rd party IPDS box in your configuration?
    They are printing using Host Print Transfrom. The printer does not have the IPDS option.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

IPDS (Intelligent Print Data Stream) uses a different character set (EBCEDIC) than does PCL; PCL uses ASCII.

Most printers can't understand EBCEDIC, unless they have the right interpreter in place, such as the IPDS option in this case.

That is what Host Print Transform (known as "HPT") does on the AS/400 side; it converts EBCEDIC to ASCII.

IO Corporation makes boxes that do this, commonly known as an "IPDS Gateway", so do a few other companies, such as Axis, as mentioned.

There is also software available that runs on a PC to make the translation.

The AS/400 points its IPDS output to the gateway or application, the data gets converted, then sent to the non-IPDS printer.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins