Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Ricoh MP C4000 - Scan to Folder issue

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Turning SMB V1 back on you may expose the computer to unwanted Malware. Turning this on ANY customers PC opens you and your company for legal problems down the road. As this was a MS security update NOT Recommended

Used filezilla server or scan to email or update firmware on machine to support smb 2 or 3

Windows 10 tip: Stop using the horribly insecure SMBv1 protocol | ZDNet

Most likely after a future MS 10 update that feature as well as smb1 will be removed and permanently disable
    bsm2, Which firmware update will provide support for SMB V2 and/or V3.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esabet View Post
    bsm2, Which firmware update will provide support for SMB V2 and/or V3.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Don't worry so much about what version, just upgrade to the latest version of firmware.

On a Ricoh device just go into System settings, Network tab, Print List. Look under the SMB section and look for a line that has Client V3.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP C4000 - Scan to Folder issue

Turning SMB V1 back on you may expose the computer to unwanted Malware. Turning this on ANY customers PC opens you and your company for legal problems down the road. As this was a MS security update NOT Recommended
    A halfway decent IT can configure their network to block any outside exploit of SMB v1. Microsoft's purpose in turning off SMB v1 was to block malware coming from outside the local network/domain. The only time I had any problems with SMB scan to folder using SMB v1 was the start of the school year following Microsoft's release of the patch. A small number of copiers stopped scanning to folder. On checking their settings I found each one had one of the following problems:
    1. Spelling error on the Domain name.
    2. Destination was set to IP Address.
    3. First DNS was not the primary DNS for the MFP.

Scan destination was to personal folders on one of their servers. In all three cases Active directory did not recognize the sender as part of the domain.

Used filezilla server or scan to email or update firmware on machine to support smb 2 or 3

Windows 10 tip: Stop using the horribly insecure SMBv1 protocol | ZDNet

Most likely after a future MS 10 update that feature as well as smb1 will be removed and permanently disable
    FTP can be equally as vulnerable as SMB v1. That is why many major corporations will not allow you install FTP of any type on their networks.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    A halfway decent IT can configure their network to block any outside exploit of SMB v1. Microsoft's purpose in turning off SMB v1 was to block malware coming from outside the local network/domain. The only time I had any problems with SMB scan to folder using SMB v1 was the start of the school year following Microsoft's release of the patch. A small number of copiers stopped scanning to folder. On checking their settings I found each one had one of the following problems:
    1. Spelling error on the Domain name.
    2. Destination was set to IP Address.
    3. First DNS was not the primary DNS for the MFP.

Scan destination was to personal folders on one of their servers. In all three cases Active directory did not recognize the sender as part of the domain.

FTP can be equally as vulnerable as SMB v1. That is why many major corporations will not allow you install FTP of any type on their networks.

It's clear you don't know crap about networking. Filezilla ftp server install on a local pc is COMPLETELY SAFE, it's not an external FTP site. If you got a Konica machine you can use Konica's ftp utility. SMB1 Has been BANNED by any IT tech or company per MS and the recent security problems worldwide. Future updates from MS will remove any option to even turn smb1 back on.
    Sometimes you have to read.

Stop using SMB1 | Storage at Microsoft

Microsoft Offers More Advice on Disabling Windows SMB 1 -- Redmondmag.com
    Last edited by bsm2; 04-21-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

It's clear you don't know crap about networking. Filezilla ftp server install on a local pc is COMPLETELY SAFE, it's not an external FTP site. If you got a Konica machine you can use Konica's ftp utility. SMB1 Has been BANNED by any IT tech or company per MS and the recent security problems worldwide. Future updates from MS will remove any option to even turn smb1 back on.
    Sometimes you have to read.

Stop using SMB1 | Storage at Microsoft

Microsoft Offers More Advice on Disabling Windows SMB 1 -- Redmondmag.com
    We get it, SMB V1 is bad. We all know this by now. Not that I do not agree with you. There are some customer's and IT that do not want an FTP protocol on their network no matter how secure you can prove it is. I have used it in a pinch, so nothing against Filezilla. Being another program it will use more computer resources, though on a properly working computer it is not noticed, and is another point of failure. Where I work we are not supposed to install additional utilities such as this as they do not come from the manufacture. We are then obligated to support it because we installed it. Notice I'm going against general company policy to get a customer scanning here. Sometime you just have to do what you have to do to get the job done. Also if a customer has a machine that does not support SMBV1 chances are their scanning will be limited as the machine may not support more secure email either. Each network and customer is different.

If SMBV1 has to be enabled to get a machine scanning try firmware first. Most newer machines, past 3 maybe 4 years, have firmware to fix this problem. Some machines you might be ablate Telnet into to turn SMBV2/V3 on. I have done this with several Ricoh type machines. If these do not work and FTP, email, and HDD scanning is out of the question make sure the customer is fully aware of any risk's there is enabling SMBV1. Best thing to do would be to have something in writing and or have the customer enable SMBV1 themselves. Myself I have not seen a computer get infected through SMBV1. I'm sure it has happened but is such a rarity that most will not be infected. But there is always that chance so enable at your own risk.

Another option if machine is to old to support firmware update to smb 2 or 3 would be to replace machine with a new model.

Quote Originally Posted by mincopier View Post
    Don't worry so much about what version, just upgrade to the latest version of firmware.

On a Ricoh device just go into System settings, Network tab, Print List. Look under the SMB section and look for a line that has Client V3.
    I have printed the list and I am failing to locate the SMB Client version. Perhaps I am missing something. I have attached the print out for your kind review.MPC4000.Network Interface Settings.pdf

Another option if machine is to old to support firmware update to smb 2 or 3 would be to replace machine with a new model.
    Purchasing a new unit is not always a possibility for obvious reasons. Here is a snapshot of the current firmwares.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

There is no SMBv2/v3 for this model. It's old enough they might not release any firmware for it as they just released smbv2/v3 firmware for the MPC4502/5502 machines...

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Interesting as i've never had to change this setting from default on multiple Win 10 installations.

My laptop is set as following & scans via SMB fine.

Attachment 39478
    Checked the other two PCs. The NetBios setting is set as default but I did notice that SMB v1 was in fact enabled on both other machines. This further confirms that the MPC4000 only supports SMB v1.