Thread: Ricoh MP4002

Technician

Ricoh MP4002

Hi everyone, so here's my first post. I've been an independent Ricoh tech for 2 years but have been in the industry for 12 years. Im glad to have joined and i get a lot of great tips from here.
    I have a Ricoh MP4002 that automatically wants to format the HDD as if i just replaced it. and its driving me crazy as i have never seen this happen. So far I've replaced the following,

1. HDD and updated Firmware
    2. Satie PCB with Cables and another HDD
    3. today i swapped the controller with a parts MP4002 including the NVram.

Any Idea whats causing this?

Vic

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: Ricoh MP4002

Off the top of my head.

Maybe a incompatible HDD.
    The genuine part was a Western Digital 160Gb, so I wouldn't use anything larger than 500Gb.

Maybe a security feature like DOS or HDD encryption is enabled.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP4002

Re: Ricoh MP4002

Possibly an incompatible drive partitioning, MBR or low level format. Maybe testing the drive with a utility such as SpinRite or Minitool Partition Wizard.
    Home of Gibson Research Corporation
    MiniTool Partition Wizard | Best partition magic alternative for Windows PC and Server

Partition Wizard can also be used to resize USB drives when you need something smaller for firmware.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vickter200 View Post
    Hi everyone, so here's my first post. I've been an independent Ricoh tech for 2 years but have been in the industry for 12 years. Im glad to have joined and i get a lot of great tips from here.
    I have a Ricoh MP4002 that automatically wants to format the HDD as if i just replaced it. and its driving me crazy as i have never seen this happen. So far I've replaced the following,

1. HDD and updated Firmware
    2. Satie PCB with Cables and another HDD
    3. today i swapped the controller with a parts MP4002 including the NVram.

Any Idea whats causing this?

Vic
    My first guess is a partitioning problem. Due to a contract with a national security lab, we routinely replace HDDs in these models. We buy generic, 160GB drives and set them up using an external HDD docking station. I recommend pulling your drive and reconfiguring it on a PC. In Disk Management, you need to set the HDD up as a new simple volume. Do not assign a drive letter. Select your settings, (NTFS, new volume) and do a quick format. When finished, you should see it described as "Healthy (Primary Partition)". You can then reinstall it. I always reformat it once it is back in the copier. Good luck.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Off the top of my head.

Maybe a incompatible HDD.
    The genuine part was a Western Digital 160Gb, so I wouldn't use anything larger than 500Gb.

Maybe a security feature like DOS or HDD encryption is enabled.
    Thanks for the reply, I've already checked these settings ad non point to this symtom. It was was my first thought. Thanks Again!

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    My first guess is a partitioning problem. Due to a contract with a national security lab, we routinely replace HDDs in these models. We buy generic, 160GB drives and set them up using an external HDD docking station. I recommend pulling your drive and reconfiguring it on a PC. In Disk Management, you need to set the HDD up as a new simple volume. Do not assign a drive letter. Select your settings, (NTFS, new volume) and do a quick format. When finished, you should see it described as "Healthy (Primary Partition)". You can then reinstall it. I always reformat it once it is back in the copier. Good luck.
    Thanks for the reply, I've never have used this procedure, but try it. Keep in mind I've tried three new HDD's all generic under 500gb. i use the same procedure on other copiers with no issue like this one.

I'll keep you all posted on the remedy once i figure it out.

Thanks again.