Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Their IT says it's our machine, not the network

Same issues here!
    Connecting lap top, print test page and there mouth fals wide open...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Years ago i was an onsite support tech for a large corporate of ours.

One day the head of their inhouse IT calls me and demands I meet them at one of our devices "that is faulty"

I get there and she is there along with 2 other IT techs. She tells me that the users are complaining that whenever they print from MS Word, our device feeds the printed page and 1 blank.

I try to explain that it is not the device, but the fact that they have a second blank page in the document.

They insist otherwise.

I go back to my office, fetch my laptop and crossover cable.

I return, install driver, connect to the device and print ~ 1 page comes out.
    I do it again and again!

All three complainants stood there looking at their feet..... not knowing what to say.

I packed up my stuff, greeted them, and left.
    Press the GREEN button!!

Their IT says it's our machine, not the network

We had a Customer (Utility Dept) in our town, that wanted to trade in an old HP printer for a new model. We take the new model over, unbox it and IT says they can take it from there. Next day, get a call in the morning that the printer won't connect to their network. I ask them if the Ethernet cable could be defective, because I noticed it was frayed a little bit, and they assure me that this is not the case. So we pick that one up, and deliver them a fresh new printer of the same model (this time did not unbox it, per their IT). Get a call the next day that there must be something wrong with this model, as they could not get this one connected etiher, and DEMAND that we bring them a different model. We oblige and bring them a different new model. Did not receive a call the next day, and out of curiosity, called the customer's IT to check if they had gotten this one connected, they said "yeah, definitely something wrong with that other model, this one plugged right in and connected in seconds". Scratching my head, I connected the "non-compatible' model to our network, and away it went, connecting and printing. I then take a toner order (not normally a delivery guy), to this customer, and go check on the new printer, and what do I see....? A brand new Ethernet cable plugged into the machine!!!!! The lady that sat at that desk says "oh yeah, IT said the other one was broken".

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    We had a Customer (Utility Dept) in our town, that wanted to trade in an old HP printer for a new model. We take the new model over, unbox it and IT says they can take it from there. Next day, get a call in the morning that the printer won't connect to their network. I ask them if the Ethernet cable could be defective, because I noticed it was frayed a little bit, and they assure me that this is not the case. So we pick that one up, and deliver them a fresh new printer of the same model (this time did not unbox it, per their IT). Get a call the next day that there must be something wrong with this model, as they could not get this one connected etiher, and DEMAND that we bring them a different model. We oblige and bring them a different new model. Did not receive a call the next day, and out of curiosity, called the customer's IT to check if they had gotten this one connected, they said "yeah, definitely something wrong with that other model, this one plugged right in and connected in seconds". Scratching my head, I connected the "non-compatible' model to our network, and away it went, connecting and printing. I then take a toner order (not normally a delivery guy), to this customer, and go check on the new printer, and what do I see....? A brand new Ethernet cable plugged into the machine!!!!! The lady that sat at that desk says "oh yeah, IT said the other one was broken".
    Hopefully you were able to get a lock of that idiot's hair...for your voodoo doll.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I think it was a cemetery office that was having a huge fit about their Kyocera not printing intermittently. I connected the laptop to the network, pulled the network cable from the copier, and what do you know ... I'm still getting pings?!

The office manager (still in her fit) calls the IT support desk. I try to explain that there's a dupe. They say no, it's impossible.
    NetScan tells me that it's a Samsung MAC address (probably a cell phone). I ask the manager who has a Samsung cellphone? Well Susie does ... Can she please turn it off for a moment? Well look at that? No more pings.

The IT guy hung up on me. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

I particularly dislike the way I.T guys log a call and in the call description request that we "change the nic".
    Remember old HP's where you could just swap out the interface card?
    They still have that mindset.
    I had a Govt client I.T rep who insisted that we troubleshoot their sporadic printing by "swapping out the NIC"....on an MPN4504.
    I explained to them that not only did we not have any machines on hand to part but the process of ordering parts for troubleshooting can be tiresome if you haven't attended the machine prior to ordering and also that the "nic" is built onto the controller board.
    I went onsite and reported to them that the sporadic issue seemed to be isolated to the switch that they were using.
    They didn't believe me...of course.
    So I went onsite again(3 hours away) and plugged my laptop into the machine and printed just fine.
    Typed up a huge assed report stating this and that I would not re-attend until they swapped out the switch.
    They swapped out the switch and replied to me that it appears to have fixed the issue "Temporarily" and that they are still convinced the fault is machine side.
    It's been 6 months and I haven't heard a peep.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    I particularly dislike the way I.T guys log a call and in the call description request that we "change the nic".
    Remember old HP's where you could just swap out the interface card?
    They still have that mindset.
    I had a Govt client I.T rep who insisted that we troubleshoot their sporadic printing by "swapping out the NIC"....on an MPN4504.
    I explained to them that not only did we not have any machines on hand to part but the process of ordering parts for troubleshooting can be tiresome if you haven't attended the machine prior to ordering and also that the "nic" is built onto the controller board.
    I went onsite and reported to them that the sporadic issue seemed to be isolated to the switch that they were using.
    They didn't believe me...of course.
    So I went onsite again(3 hours away) and plugged my laptop into the machine and printed just fine.
    Typed up a huge assed report stating this and that I would not re-attend until they swapped out the switch.
    They swapped out the switch and replied to me that it appears to have fixed the issue "Temporarily" and that they are still convinced the fault is machine side.
    It's been 6 months and I haven't heard a peep.
    I wonder if they “swap out the NIC” when any of their desktops act up. Almost all modern PCs have the NIC built into the motherboard; very few actually use add-in cards these days.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I think it was a cemetery office that was having a huge fit about their Kyocera not printing intermittently. I connected the laptop to the network, pulled the network cable from the copier, and what do you know ... I'm still getting pings?!

The office manager (still in her fit) calls the IT support desk. I try to explain that there's a dupe. They say no, it's impossible.
    NetScan tells me that it's a Samsung MAC address (probably a cell phone). I ask the manager who has a Samsung cellphone? Well Susie does ... Can she please turn it off for a moment? Well look at that? No more pings.

The IT guy hung up on me. =^..^=
    I had a similar problem at a county water agency. We had just delivered a new color MFP and set the IP address to what their IT said to use. Next day they called that they could not print or scan. I drove up there. The bottom of the display showed IP conflictx. To make a long story short, IT company was new and had not yet happy out the entire network. There was a VPN that they didn't know about. The address they gave me was one of the ones for the VPN addresses. we

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I did a new Copystar setup at a large company about 7 years ago. Their local IT does all the networking. The way this usually works is that I call the IT department. They issue me an IP. I put in the IP and plug in the cable, and I'm done. But they don't always go that easy:

My usual contact was a little more dense than usual that morning. He issues me the IP. I check NetScan ...
    "... um, no. That one is already in use."
    "It can't be. I issue all IP's and I haven't issued that one yet."
    "I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but somebody's using it. Can we issue a different one, please?"
    "No we have to use that one."
    "All right ... but you're creating a dupe. Would you like to know the MAC address of the current user of that address?"
    ... long silence...
    ... more long silence, clicking in the background ...
    "Joe? Are you still there?"
    ... silence...
    "How about if we use 10.0.0.225? Noone is using that one."
    ... sigh... "yeah, use that one."
    "Thanks."

Well that was unnecessarily difficult. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

It's worse when its our IT section that claims its the copier thats at fault. At least if its the customers IT that gets it wrong I can give them the bill for wasting a techs time, but when its in-house I just have to grin and bare it.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.