Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Their IT says it's our machine, not the network

Never mind, it was a stupid question. I've gotten it figured out.
    Last edited by mikadonovan; 04-24-2018 at 07:41 PM.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Their IT says it's our machine, not the network

It's ALWAYS our machine, and not the network, is it not?
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

A had a customer say that once. After we replaced every thing that was replaceable, they decided to swap the machine with another of the same model. Problem stayed with the location not the machine. They replaced a 5 year old 32 port switch. Problem went away. Intermittent access problem on a couple of computers were also gone.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Yep also had a bad switch that drove me crazy! You could ping copier all day but when you send print job it was hit or miss whether it would print.

Next time IT blames your machine connect your laptop and while pinging or printing show them it's their network !!! I love the look on the IT persons face when they see this.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Yep also had a bad switch that drove me crazy! You could ping copier all day but when you send print job it was hit or miss whether it would print.

Next time IT blames your machine connect your laptop and while pinging or printing show them it's their network !!! I love the look on the IT persons face when they see this.
    Me too! "What about these 115ms pings and dropouts? Do you think that might make a difference?"
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

So, last Friday I was at my customer 2 and a half hours away. I had one call but one of the IT guys said he call in two. I checked and only had one. I had them call HP to check on it while I was there. I was going to be efficient and save the contractor a travel charge. It was for a 49 error and HP said they wouldn't send a tech out on those, they would send instructions. I told the guy who talk to HP about the 49 error and clearing the Que and rebooting the machine. It was a huge 9050 MFP. Well on Monday I had a ticket for that machine, for that code. I made the two and a half hour trip. I went to the machine, installed it on my laptop, loaded firmware and told them to print. It coded 49. Damn it. The customer stuck her head around the corner and said she sent it, but there were two more jobs in front of it.....

Wait, What?

Please call those IT idiots and have them clear your Que!

Then it printed.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

It is always the machine and not the network, yeah right! Let's take it one step further when a customer calls today at 4:30 PM and says the new computer they just had their third party IT install and it cannot scan via SMB! The unit they replaced was a Win10 machine and worked in a five unit network of Win10 machines and the new unit will not authenticate. Their third party IT person says that it is the machine blocking the Scanning even though there are four other computers running Win10 that scan just fine! Do these supposed IT people realize how dumb they sound to us when they state that four other Win10 machines can scan, but this one cannot and it has to be the machine blocking the scanning? How does the unit choose favorites? The SMB scanning protocol is set for all machines and if one out of five units cannot scan would it not be settings in the computer? According to IT, no it has to be the machine. Just an easy out. To make matters worse, they demanded we have someone on site before 5:00 PM so they could go home!! Would not give a plumb nickel for most IT people as I think they have no clue to how things actually work. Case in point from earlier today, had a call for a unit not being able to print. Arrived on site and had the IT people ping the supposed IP address of the unit while I held the network cable in my hand. Guess what., they got responses to their ping, they had two devices with the same IP address, no wonder they could not print! Blaming the machine is just too easy of an out for many IT people because they do not know what is going on in their own network.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Another tech called me for support on a printing issue. IT was blaming the copier. Followed the usual steps. Suddenly, he says, " I jiggled the ethernet cable and a print job printed"

Yep, we put different cat5 cable on and problem solved. Sometimes, it's the simple things, but the IT folks do not want to check the hardware.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I had the parts supervisor at the Bakersfield office of PCL Construction call a couple of years ago that they were unable to print and there was a report he needed for a meeting later that day. He wanted me to come out because their new IT person had been working on some router problems they were having with a new set of portable offices they just set in place over the weekend, they could not access servers or internet. The only computer in the computer in the parts room office the could print, or access the internet or any of their servers, was the one they leave on 24/7. I hooked my laptop up and did not get an IP address. Checked the the addresses for the copiers in that offices and disconnected the B/W that only gets about 10 jobs a month and assigned its IP to my laptop. I could then find all their printers. It then became obvious to me that the router problem was that the DHCP was down. Since I could not locate the local IT person, I contacted their corporate IT, told them what I had found and got permission to setup the parts office computers on fixed IP, corporate IT gave me the addresses to use. I saw the local IT guy and told him his DHCP was down. He said he would check it when he got time. Their network was back up about 10 the next morning. My thought was that was after corporate finally contacted him and told to drop everything else until he got the DHCP back up. Next time I was there, the corporate IT guy was there temporarily until they hired a new local.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

We get that all the time,we often get "our copier can't scan to email, if must be faulty", then we discover that they can't actually send or receive emails on their PCs as the server is down.....but the best yet, went to a customer as their copier wasn't scanning, all emails were working om PCs, I told customer I was 99% certain it was the network, was getting "server connect error", went to their other copier to check settings, settings were correct, then someone mentioned that the other copier wasn't working, then I knew for definite it was network, customer spoke to their IT ( which was provided by another company) they denied changing anything, IT said "it had to be the machines", then the boss of the company with the copiers remembered that the SMTP server was due for replacement, so he phoned the IT company....yes, they'd replaced it the previous day......
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...