Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MPC 2800 controller issues

Hi. I have a machine that has me flumuxed. The problem was that the print controller was not talking to the computer anymore. No light is on the Ethernet but does come on for a second when the machine is turned on. I thought this maybe the issue but it seems on the 2800 they all do that. I tried to change the controller from another machine and it came up with a sc code probably because you can’t just swap them unless this was just bad luck. I have changed the Hard Drive and still can’t get any computer to talk to it.

Has anyone has this before and an idea what’s happened to the controller and why suddenly it’s not talking. All the lights are on inside relevant and it comes up on the control panel with the up address etc and you can print all the configuration pages as normal. Any help would be cool. Sorry it’s an old machine but I gave it free to an old people’s home and they don’t have much.

Thanks. Tim

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: MPC 2800 controller issues

Quote Originally Posted by Timmytronic View Post
    Hi. I have a machine that has me flumuxed. The problem was that the print controller was not talking to the computer anymore. No light is on the Ethernet but does come on for a second when the machine is turned on. I thought this maybe the issue but it seems on the 2800 they all do that. I tried to change the controller from another machine and it came up with a sc code probably because you can’t just swap them unless this was just bad luck. I have changed the Hard Drive and still can’t get any computer to talk to it.

Has anyone has this before and an idea what’s happened to the controller and why suddenly it’s not talking. All the lights are on inside relevant and it comes up on the control panel with the up address etc and you can print all the configuration pages as normal. Any help would be cool. Sorry it’s an old machine but I gave it free to an old people’s home and they don’t have much.

Thanks. Tim
    Control board problems that only affect network connection are extremely rare in my experience -unless someone moved the machine without disconnecting the cable and damaged the pins?
    Seems like there's a lot of things you haven't tried to confirm that it's actually the machine and not the network, or for some reason you've just not told us about them.
    - Can you ping it?
    - Make sure Ieee 802.1X authentication for internet ( In UT/ System/ interface/network) is NOT set to active, (someone might have been playing around)
    - Have you confirmed the network cable, wall jack, switch, router port, and whatever else might be between the PC's and device are all ok?
    - Connected directly to a laptop to eliminate an issue on their network?

And . Yes, you will get an SC if you don't swap NVRams on the controller.
    And just for future reference, the HDD is not required for basic printing - just no Duplex (I'm not sure what else exactly)

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Make sure Ieee 802.1X authentication for internet ( In UT/ System/ interface/network) is NOT set to active, (someone might have been playing around)
    That has caught me out on a couple of occasions ...well worth checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    That has caught me out on a couple of occasions ...well worth checking.
    First read about it on this site, and filed it away for future reference, and now it's one of the first things I check when I have issues with a box I pick up for resale that doesn't respond, or when nothing "seems" to have changed on an existing network.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timmytronic View Post

Thanks. Tim
    User tools...make sure wireless LAN is not selected. Use Ethernet.
    SP 5-985-001...Onboard NIC needs to be "ON".

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

carries a laptop and a cross-network cable

Normally when the "systems engineers" say that the machine is the problem and not the network or their computers, I do this and ready ... once I test and prove that nothing is the machine, I go and leave with your problem .99% of the time it's the network or the computers

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

i always swap out the cable as my customers have a habit of twisting them and kinking them..
    THE other problem i find is when the customer changes internet provider and the new router is set for a different string..

I can't believe how often I'll read a thread here about an issue that I've not necessarily seen myself, and then have the same experience myself almost immediately afterwards. It's happened many times!
    But in this case, I just picked up a couple of very low mileage SP5200s machines that were previously in banks, and they had all sorts of secure settings setup. After getting them unlocked, I still couldn't get them to print.
    After following all of my own advice provided earlier in this thread still no go.
    A memory clear was what ended up resolving my issue. While I can't say exactly which one resolved the issue, these are the ones I cleared:
    SCS, MCS, Printer, NCS. Rebooted, then then re-input my network settings, and BANG! All good.
    So if the previous suggestions don't resolve it, then this might help

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I can't believe how often I'll read a thread here about an issue that I've not necessarily seen myself, and then have the same experience myself almost immediately afterwards. It's happened many times!
    But in this case, I just picked up a couple of very low mileage SP5200s machines that were previously in banks, and they had all sorts of secure settings setup. After getting them unlocked, I still couldn't get them to print.
    After following all of my own advice provided earlier in this thread still no go.
    A memory clear was what ended up resolving my issue. While I can't say exactly which one resolved the issue, these are the ones I cleared:
    SCS, MCS, Printer, NCS. Rebooted, then then re-input my network settings, and BANG! All good.
    So if the previous suggestions don't resolve it, then this might help
    I usually throw in Web Service as well. These are also helpful when you do something like trying to create a device certificate and shutting yourself out of WIM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

+1 on all the advised checking.

Many customers mistake the RJ45 port for usb and insert the cable into the port, damaging the pins.
    Also check if access control settings are activated, as this limits the range it will allow to connect.
    Press the GREEN button!!