Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Light image MP 6002

On the MP 6002 I had to bore out the toner holes that feed into the developer unit to keep from getting light images. I tried supply mode down to 600 and scrubbed clean and regapped the doctor blade. Larger holes fixed it. I may have to do this on a 7503 that goes light.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Light image MP 6002

Never had problems with holes blocking since this system made, are you using genuine toner? You have other issues. Are all PM parts up to date especially dev and toner recycling unit D1313161.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

There is a bulletin regarding light copies on this series. I have been following the instructions with pretty good success. And, as davel suggested, make sure the PM parts are up to date

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    Never had problems with holes blocking since this system made, are you using genuine toner? You have other issues. Are all PM parts up to date especially dev and toner recycling unit D1313161.
    All PM parts are good. All OEM parts and toner. I followed the bulletin regarding the mag roller. I even cleaned the doctor blade. On the 6002 that I enlarged the toner hopper holes on, it is running fine. The 7503 goes light and over tones. This was a brand new setup that I have tried a few DV changes on.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Light image MP 6002

In my opinion, you may have ultimate made the problem worse in the long run. By enlarging the holes you have allowed toner to drop faster. This can lead to an increase in toner hazing/scattering. Which in turn will cause the ID sensor to get dirty. When the sensor is dirty, process control will think that the patch is darker than is is which will cause light copies. At one time there was a bulletin out on the Aficio 1060 concerning stiction or toner spots building up on the drum. The bulletin introduced a new cleaning brush. Anytime I had trouble with the ID sensor getting fogged with toner I would put the newer brush on after cleaning the ID sensor.

From the 1060 Service Manual:
    Another thing that will cause image to lighten is long print runs. Toner density will decline faster than the TD sensor on the Development Unit can keep up. You can force process control to update toner density by changing the frequency of ID patches being written. At the end of the job, if Vref has not been updated for 10 copies or more, the following occurs:
    1. Vref is updated, as follows (also done just after the machine is switched on):
    • The charge corona and laser diode write the ID sensor pattern on the drum.
    • The ID sensor reads the reflectivity of the ID sensor pattern and outputs this reading as Vsp.
    • The ID sensor also reads the reflectivity of the bare surface of the drum and outputs this reading as Vsg.

NOTE: 1) The 10 copy interval can be extended with SP2210-001 (ID Sensor Pattern Interval).
    2) SP2507-002 (ID Sensor Interval – Page Setting) is available for customers who are concerned about changes in toner density during long copy jobs and may want to specify an interval to force creating and reading the ID sensor pattern. However, enabling this SP will pause copying for 2 or 3 seconds every time the ID sensor pattern is created and read.
    3) SP2507-001 must be ON in order for SP2507-002 to have an effect.
    2. The CPU uses the Vsp/Vsg readings to calculate a new value for Vref (TD sensor reference voltage).

3. Finally, Vt and Vref are compared. If Vt is higher than Vref, the CPU switches on the toner supply clutch to supply more toner to the development unit.

I usually set SP2507-002 to between 50 and 500. Too high and you will get toner fade between patterns. Too low and it will slow the machine down.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tatteous View Post
    On the MP 6002 I had to bore out the toner holes that feed into the developer unit to keep from getting light images. I tried supply mode down to 600 and scrubbed clean and regapped the doctor blade. Larger holes fixed it. I may have to do this on a 7503 that goes light.
    hi, I'm interested in this problem, I did not understand what you did to the toner supply holes, you can publish or send me a picture? I have similar problems on a couple of mp5500 that presents intervals of two / three months, and I'm trying to solve them permanently

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    hi, I'm interested in this problem, I did not understand what you did to the toner supply holes, you can publish or send me a picture? I have similar problems on a couple of mp5500 that presents intervals of two / three months, and I'm trying to solve them permanently
    I used a dremmel tool to slightly bore out the holes in the metal metering blade in the toner supply unit. Tech services had nothing to say. I even bought a new DV motor which has the toner supply clutch. I was there every few 4 to 6 days for light copies. The VSP was around 1.5. It should be .25v. The part is A096 3181 Slitter. If you want to look that up in the toner supply unit parts. It has now been 6 months and I have been there for other issues but the VSP is at .29. It is not overtoning. The bottom lip of the dv unit and the dv side of the drum unit are clean. I would turn the toner supply unit by hand before I enlarged the holes and toner was coming out of each hole. Way back when, I did the same work around on a Aficio 850 and that was the cure as well.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

I used a dremmel tool to slightly bore out the holes in the metal metering blade in the toner supply unit. Tech services had nothing to say. I even bought a new DV motor which has the toner supply clutch. I was there every few 4 to 6 days for light copies. The VSP was around 1.5. It should be .25v. The part is A096 3181 Slitter. If you want to look that up in the toner supply unit parts. It has now been 6 months and I have been there for other issues but the VSP is at .29. It is not overtoning. The bottom lip of the dv unit and the dv side of the drum unit are clean. I would turn the toner supply unit by hand before I enlarged the holes and toner was coming out of each hole. Way back when, I did the same work around on a Aficio 850 and that was the cure as well.

thank you very much, I understand everything, now I disassemble one and control the mechanism well

Did you mean to replace motor 1 as in the technical documentation?
    Motor Development Unit.pdf

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Drilling out the holes is a bit extreme is it not ? I don't suppose that is a Ricoh recommended procedure !

There is a bulletin regarding light copies on this series
    Can anyone post this bulletin please, as I have also found the copies on these to be feint and would like to see what Ricoh's recomendation is.