Thread: Opinion machine

Opinion machine

I'm looking for a color production machine.
    I have a small print shop, I outsource some of my jobs to a C9100 team, a machine that is impossible to buy for me.
    Among the options I was looking at a C5100 equipment, used from a workshop that bought it new and has 30,000 copies printing very well.
    On the other hand a 651ex / 751ex team. but I do not know his condition.
    The latter is a more robust equipment, with better features, especially registration.
    I also offer 651ex / 751ex equipment imported from the USA with 600,000 / 900,000 copies working well, because they argue that in the USA the used machines do not have as much use and that for legal reasons they do not touch the counters, which I do not trust.
    The question I have is whether a used color machine is disposable or it can be reconditioned and keep working. It is convenient ?
    I await some comment from someone who has experience in this type of machines.

Re: Opinion machine

I service PRO C900's, C901's and C5100's. The PRO C5100 has proven to be a very good entry level production printer. The one client I have runs about 80% cardstock (256 to 300 g/m2). The biggest problem with any of the Ricoh's is the wear marks on the Fusing Belts; these show up especially in glossy areas of the paper especially after you have switched paper size and stock on your next print run. The PRO C5100 has a Fusing Belt Smoothing Roller which helps to minimize and eliminate this condition (and the Belt cleaning can be run by the customer when needed). I think the C5100 is a decent machine - our's run with a Fiery attached so I assume you are looking at the same setup?
    As far as meters go, I would think it is illegal to reset total counters/meters on any device/equipment without providing that information to your client. No reputable retailer resets meters.
    The copy quality from the C5100 is excellent. At the right price (and don't ask me what that is) the C5100 is a good fit.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Opinion machine

Quote Originally Posted by reglanet View Post
    I have a small print shop, I outsource some of my jobs to a C9100 team, a machine that is impossible to buy for me.
    Among the options I was looking at a C5100 equipment, used from a workshop that bought it new and has 30,000 copies printing very well.
    The latter is a more robust equipment, with better features, especially registration.
    I also offer 651ex / 751ex equipment imported from the USA with 600,000 / 900,000 copies working well, because they argue that in the USA the used machines do not have as much use and that for legal reasons they do not touch the counters, which I do not trust.
    The question I have is whether a used color machine is disposable or it can be reconditioned and keep working. It is convenient ?
    Since you can't afford the 9100, I would take the c5100 over the c651. The 5100 is a much better machine and newer as well. You can still run the heavy/coated stock and with the lcit up to 13x19. I would defiantly want the lcit. At 30,000 pages (total?) a 5100 isn't broke in.
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Bowen View Post
    I service PRO C900's, C901's and C5100's. The PRO C5100 has proven to be a very good entry level production printer. The one client I have runs about 80% cardstock (256 to 300 g/m2). The biggest problem with any of the Ricoh's is the wear marks on the Fusing Belts; these show up especially in glossy areas of the paper especially after you have switched paper size and stock on your next print run. The PRO C5100 has a Fusing Belt Smoothing Roller which helps to minimize and eliminate this condition (and the Belt cleaning can be run by the customer when needed). I think the C5100 is a decent machine - our's run with a Fiery attached so I assume you are looking at the same setup?
    As far as meters go, I would think it is illegal to reset total counters/meters on any device/equipment without providing that information to your client. No reputable retailer resets meters.
    The copy quality from the C5100 is excellent. At the right price (and don't ask me what that is) the C5100 is a good fit.

It would be ideal to always pass paper of the largest possible size (13x19) in this way no rollers and fuser are marked with the edges of it.
    What can you tell me about the registration in C5100? That is, if all the sheets are printed in the same position, yua the model 651/751 has registration engines.
    Is it possible to pass 300 grams from a tray or only from a multi-purpose tray? Or is it necessary for the high capacity tray?
    Duplex front back is automatic?
    What is the difference C5100 vs C5200 ??
    According to your opinion C651 should discard it?
    Thank you for your comments !!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    Since you can't afford the 9100, I would take the c5100 over the c651. The 5100 is a much better machine and newer as well. You can still run the heavy/coated stock and with the lcit up to 13x19. I would defiantly want the lcit. At 30,000 pages (total?) a 5100 isn't broke in.
    I see that your opinion is more or less the same as Gary Bowen.
    Technically because you think that C5100 is superior to c651?
    On the other hand, this type of machines that parts should be replaced in addition to cylinders, developers, blades, rollers takes paper, ie the parts that over time suffer wear and should be changed. I was looking for a service book to study these machines, C5100 and C651 but I have not found it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Opinion machine

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    Not only is it not broken in, it has barely done 1 month worth of the average monthly volume.

Do you know the monthly volume you intend to do
    - - - -- - - -C5100 - - C651
    - - AMV-- - 20-30K- - 50K
    - -MAX MV- - 150K - -170K

It is not a good idea to under utilize a production machine. It can result in excessive toner usage and the waste toner filling up too soon. Check with the current owner of the of the C5100 as to why they desire to get rid of it. If it is using far more toner than expected, there are couple of threads on excessive toner usage.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

RE:imported from the USA,, are you in New Mexico/Texas or outside USA?
    You might find some guys here who might be able to get you a used machine.
    I am offered them but have not had request for any

[QUOTE = slimslob; 607735] No solo no está roto, apenas ha alcanzado el valor mensual de un mes del volumen mensual.

¿Conoces el volumen mensual que pretendes hacer?
    - - - - - - -C5100 - - C651
    - - AMV-- - 20-30K - - 50K
    - -MAX MV- - 150K - -170K

No es una buena idea para utilizar por debajo de una máquina de producción. Puede provocar un uso excesivo de tóner y el tóner residual se llene demasiado pronto. Consulte con el propietario actual del C5100 sobre por qué desean deshacerse de él. Si está utilizando mucho más tóner de lo esperado, hay un par de discusiones sobre el uso excesivo de tóner. [/ QUOTE]

That is to say that to print few copies produces an excessive consumption of toner, because the machine when calibrating rejects toner?

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    RE:imported from the USA,, are you in New Mexico/Texas or outside USA?
    You might find some guys here who might be able to get you a used machine.
    I am offered them but have not had request for any

The problem is that I am from Argentina.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

The problem is that I am from Argentina.
    lucky you...One of my accounts was the Argentine Embassy in nyc a way back, and the woman tthat worked
    there were both smart and sexxy as hell..I miss that account..

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Even though the C901 is an entirely different and a higher production level machine I would take a used C5100 over a C901 any day of the week. The C901s that I serviced were too fickle for my liking.