Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Pro1357 dev unit lifetime

Hi Guys

Anybody know the yield on the Pro1357 dev unit?

Thanks

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: Pro1357 dev unit lifetime

According to the service manual there isn't a yield so to speak, it just needs changing when it fails.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

At least 2-3 million & goes to 5 mil if you are lucky.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    According to the service manual there isn't a yield so to speak, it just needs changing when it fails.
    Quote Originally Posted by copywhisperer View Post
    At least 2-3 million & goes to 5 mil if you are lucky.
    Cool Thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Codex's Avatar

2-3 Million....when it starts to soil the paper leading edge it's time to change it
    Memento Audere Semper

Senior Tech 250+ Posts tjvincent's Avatar

I’ve gotten 10 million out of a couple, you can replace the 2 bearings at the rear end of the mag rollers that can lock up.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    2-3 Million....when it starts to soil the paper leading edge it's time to change it
    You've been wasting a lot of money if you're replacing the development unit just because of dirty lead edge of copies. I just clean the bottom cross frame of the PCU, the one that serves as the upper guide for the paper going to the drum.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Codex's Avatar

I know what you mean... But the problem is that i have to clean it every 50k clicks... And the customer was not very happy about that... So we solved the problem with a new unit..... No more "dirty edge" calls since that
    Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You've been wasting a lot of money if you're replacing the development unit just because of dirty lead edge of copies. I just clean the bottom cross frame of the PCU, the one that serves as the upper guide for the paper going to the drum.
    Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
    Memento Audere Semper

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Post Re: Pro1357 dev unit lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    I know what you mean... But the problem is that i have to clean it every 50k clicks... And the customer was not very happy about that... So we solved the problem with a new unit..... No more "dirty edge" calls since that

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
    Most likely would have solved it by proper PM to include entrance and side seals. Also vacuum out the top cover that connects to the suction pump hose, if toner haze cannot be drawn out by the suction pump, you will get excessive hazing of the drum unit.

One other cause I have encountered is printing a large quantity of small booklets/pamphlets, depending on the number of downstream devices. I had a school with a decurling unit, a cover inter-poser and multi-fold unit between the main frame and the finisher. When running booklets, I would listen to it. You could hear each sheet of paper being fed. You could hear a definite pause between the last sheet of one set and the first sheet of the next set. At the same time all the rest of engine motors were running to include the development motor. This caused an increase of toner haze inside the development unit. It took just over one day of only booklets to start getting the dirty edge. It also took less that a of no booklets to clear up. The operator and I decided to try to not spend more than half a day at a time doing booklets which seemed to work. They also had a 1060 that they used for last minutes small jobs. We had a booklet printer for a 1060 in the warehouse and I decided to see how it did booklets. Since the 1060 didn't wait to start the next set and the overall length of the paper path was roughly half that of the 1357, the time to run 100 sets was negligible. They decided to use the 1060 for booklets.