Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

MPC 5503 Jam in C

I thought I had this copier finally fixed. I posted before about it showing a jam in C that will not clear. I replaced all the boards and the last one I replaced was the BCU type H board. Then the C jam went away and the copier worked fine. I decided to manually jam the machine to see if it would clear. It did not. Back to the jam in C that will not clear. I installed the BCU board in another copier and it showed the jam in C and would not clear in another copier. I changed out the eprom on that board from another copier and it worked again. Something is corrupting the eprom on the BCU type H board when it jams. Does anyone have an idea what may be causing it. Anyone know the part number for the eprom. Its not listed in the manual. I tried the other standard eprom but that one gave me all sorts of weird codes. So now I have two BCU boards that show a jam in C. But the eprom is the bad part on the board. But I need to figure out why. Thanks for any input.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC 5503 Jam in C

Re: MPC 5503 Jam in C

And you are still giving the operator location letter code and not the actual service jam code number.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I am not explaining my problem clear enough. The jam logging data does not matter where the jam occurred. As long as the paper does not jam in C section of the copier the copier resets. If I run one copy and jam it at the finisher it will reset. If I run a copy and jam it at A and B it will reset. If I run 5 copies and jam it at the finisher they all clear except for C and the copier locks up. It will have a jam code for the finisher in the logging data. If I run 5 copies and jam it in the exit section that will show a jam in A,B. C all will clear except the C section and the copier locks up.Shows a jam code of 22. I reset the eprom with engine clear and I can make copies again. It will run hundreds of copies but once there is paper jammed in the C section it locks up the eprom and will not reset. Tech support said it is probably a pinched wire. I am going to next replace the interchange exit section wiring harness. I am just glad I have a junk machine to get the parts off of. I am also glad its not a bad eprom and just corrupted and can be cleared. It would get costly if it damaged the eprom. Hope this explains it better. Thanks for all the input. PS I did replace the interchange exit section also.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Bantams's Avatar

Check the Ground wire from the duplex section to the mainframe they tended to break on the 02 machines causing alsorts of weird and wonderfull problems , Like tech Support said it does sound like a trapped or damaged wire

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC 5503 Jam in C

Quote Originally Posted by AMS View Post
    I am not explaining my problem clear enough. The jam logging data does not matter where the jam occurred. As long as the paper does not jam in C section of the copier the copier resets. If I run one copy and jam it at the finisher it will reset. If I run a copy and jam it at A and B it will reset. If I run 5 copies and jam it at the finisher they all clear except for C and the copier locks up. It will have a jam code for the finisher in the logging data. If I run 5 copies and jam it in the exit section that will show a jam in A,B. C all will clear except the C section and the copier locks up.Shows a jam code of 22. I reset the eprom with engine clear and I can make copies again. It will run hundreds of copies but once there is paper jammed in the C section it locks up the eprom and will not reset. Tech support said it is probably a pinched wire. I am going to next replace the interchange exit section wiring harness. I am just glad I have a junk machine to get the parts off of. I am also glad its not a bad eprom and just corrupted and can be cleared. It would get costly if it damaged the eprom. Hope this explains it better. Thanks for all the input. PS I did replace the interchange exit section also.
    Then replace the 2 cover open switches for the 2 jam covers on the bridge unit, one of them is not working.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I finally found the problem and it was an easy fix after all. There is s sensor on the side frame for the transfer separation unit. There is a small black plastic cover covering the wires. Its the photo sensor that lets the machine know the separation unit has moved from home position and that also resets the C code jam. Even Ricoh tech support did not know about that sensor. They made a note of it in case someone else has this problem. Thanks again for every ones input on this matter.

Technician

Post Re: MPC 5503 Jam in tell me where that sensor is located. thanks a lot

815B9618-C840-4480-931A-DF0EF9B557A9.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by AMS View Post
    I finally found the problem and it was an easy fix after all. There is s sensor on the side frame for the transfer separation unit. There is a small black plastic cover covering the wires. Its the photo sensor that lets the machine know the separation unit has moved from home position and that also resets the C code jam. Even Ricoh tech support did not know about that sensor. They made a note of it in case someone else has this problem. Thanks again for every ones input on this matter.
    tell me where that sensor is located. thanks a lot
    Last edited by levantin; 06-16-2022 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Is this the location?