Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 9002 ADF jamming

Hey guys, I have an account with an MP9002 where a ton of scanning is being done. Their originals are some kind of carbon type paper being scanned in to their server. Previously, they had an MP9001 running the same originals that had the same problems I am having with this feeder. Again, very high volume scanning, usually not large packets but between 5-20 pages at a time. These originals have always been a problem, they swell all the feed rollers to the point where they slip off the shaft, even the separation roller gets swollen and regularly needs to be replaced. They also trash my one-way bearings and coat my sensors.

Routine maintenance is done monthly, sometimes I'm able to get 2-3 months before cleaning or replacing anything but recently I've noticed the J006 jam at registration frequently. This account is used to this feeder jamming but it is becoming a big deal because this jam is shredding the original right at the skew correction roller. It got to the point where if I run my transport motor in service mode and put any kind of pressure on the transport roller, or any roller that uses the transport motor, it siezes up before restarting. As a test, I swapped the feed motor with the transport motor and it did the same thing. Every shaft and one-way bearing that drives the transport has been replaced, the motor has been replaced and the idler pulley has been cleaned and lightly lubricated per a technical bulliten I found that showed similar symptoms.

I've played around with tension on the belt, making incremental adjustments and testing. I've gotten to know this feeder way too well over the last couple of years and this problem *seems to be new.

ADF Free Run in service mode runs great, so does copy mode. My thought on my next trip to the customer is to turn ADF Contact Mode ON so that hopefully it slows the scans down just enough to where this issue doesnt come up.

That being said, I'm reaching out to you guys to see if you have any suggestions other than firmware. (which seems unlikely)

Thanks in advance to you all.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP 9002 ADF jamming

Quote Originally Posted by githenhi View Post
    Incredibly helpful suggestion my friend.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Search for the MP7502 adf jam issue. same symptoms, different resolutions. the on pdf i found here talked about cleaning and lubrication of bushings, seemed to work for me. changing the resolution helped, but slowed scanning way down

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LNorris View Post
    Search for the MP7502 adf jam issue. same symptoms, different resolutions. the on pdf i found here talked about cleaning and lubrication of bushings, seemed to work for me. changing the resolution helped, but slowed scanning way down
    As I said, and I know it was a long post but I try to cover all my bases before coming to this site, I have gone through my bushings multiple times since i've replaced every feed and transport shaft in this feeder, as well as the idler pulley which was pointed to in the PDF you mentioned.

As for the resolution, I did increase the DPI which seemed to help but like I said they are scanning to a server which will store these documents indefinitely so IT instructed me to reduce the DPI as they were noticing increases in file size.
    Reducing the scanning speed isn't ideal IMO just because it doesn't solve the underlying problem but at this point that's what I'm aiming for which is why, in theory, changing ADF Contact Mode might help me because it pulls each page to a brief stop at registration before being sent the rest of the way, which in theory will slow the feeder down.

I know I always had to put some TriFlow on every bearing/shaft under the front cover, rear cover, and a few visible gears/etc at the back/bottom of the the Transport Belt (as viewed with the Transport Guide opened for jam removal). I ran in to it a handful of times and it always took just hitting everything up with TriFlow. There use to be a good TSB about it that made mention of opening the Transport Guide and lubricating a few spots, but I can only find one anymore that doesn't cover squat (BULLETIN NUMBER: D062/D063/D065/D066 – 030). I normally lubricated it, ran it for a while, then put another drop or two on.

If it's only ever doing it while scanning (and normally on the first page) and gets better if you slow it down it's very likely the issue of it binding up; It's just a matter of getting the right things cleaned. If it's not that...I'm out.

did yo use the same paper in free run mode.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vargue View Post
    did yo use the same paper in free run mode.
    I only use the paper they run through the machine, not the carbon/chemical style paper simply because damaging those originals is not ideal.

Edit: I should clarify, the originals themselves are not necessarily a problem, it's the usage of them over time that affects my feed rollers, one-ways and sensors which then jams the feeder. If the feeder is jamming, I can always replicate it with plain paper.
    Last edited by Boltaction; 06-20-2018 at 03:46 AM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xcelsior View Post
    I know I always had to put some TriFlow on every bearing/shaft under the front cover, rear cover, and a few visible gears/etc at the back/bottom of the the Transport Belt (as viewed with the Transport Guide opened for jam removal). I ran in to it a handful of times and it always took just hitting everything up with TriFlow. There use to be a good TSB about it that made mention of opening the Transport Guide and lubricating a few spots, but I can only find one anymore that doesn't cover squat (BULLETIN NUMBER: D062/D063/D065/D066 – 030). I normally lubricated it, ran it for a while, then put another drop or two on.

If it's only ever doing it while scanning (and normally on the first page) and gets better if you slow it down it's very likely the issue of it binding up; It's just a matter of getting the right things cleaned. If it's not that...I'm out.
    I believe I have cleaned and lubricated every shaft and bushing on this feeder as I have replaced just about every shaft.

I have used tri flow in the past but I have since used silicone compound on these bushings which has always worked well for me. Maybe it's too thick for this application and I'll need to go through them with something slicker.

The damage on the originals is most prevalent at the skew correction roller because the seizing up happens at registration as soon as the feed motor hands off to the the transport motor. Could it be that the plastic skew correction guide rollers are under too much tension from the springs pushing on them?

They say keep it simple, but the simple explanations are being stretched *razor thin.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Carbon type paper is not recommended original.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Do a search of this forum for mikon.I have a pic posted in a older post of the pulley and shaft you have to clean and lube.I tried to upload it put i couldn't upload it.