Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Multiple users can't print to machine

Re: Multiple users can't print to machine

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    I would try tracert in a DOS window from WS. It will tell you if and where the network loses the info.
    Had an account that had many switches going to copier and one was flakey.
    While I haven't gone that route, I also arrive at the point that I felt it must be a connectivity/ switch issue, and moved the colour machine, and connected it at the location of the B&W copier which had no issues, and the problem followed the machine

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Sure it's a known problem for the last 4 plus years

Most users and tech's just reboot there PC and the error will reset and printer will be back online. That's why you may not have seen it but most of your user's have.

If you want contact your manufacturer tech rep or tech support.
    If I'm understanding you correctly, rebooting will restore functionality if snmp causes an offline problem? Trust me.....all PC's have been rebooted countless times, but I'll be sure to 'untick" the box and give it a try on my next visit.
    As for "Manufacturer tech rep/ tech support"?.....I ain't got any. I'm on my own here.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

in such case, we delete the machine from the host and install the driver again.
    Watch the firmware...
    IP address conflict?

You've eliminated the machine as the issue if others, and yourself, can print to it without issue. It's not the network if you can plug in to the connection that a troubled PC was using and print without issue (and moving the machine had no effect). If you ping the copier from the troubled machine and then try a good machine on the same ethernet connection and get different results then something is wrong on the computer. If both computers get a good ping result (ex: Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64) then you know the connection is fine and the computer can see the printer.
    It could be something as stupid as drivers, or as Mark mentioned a possible IP Conflict; That can cause such weird issue it can affect people at random. Incorrect or corrupt drivers can cause a host of issues that can seem like the machine is going wack as well.

Hell, we had an issue where printing was being erratic and the tech told IT to reinstall drivers; They reinstalled them (several times) to no avail. He had to treat it as a machine issue and went so far as to do an All Clear and never fixed it; I went in and went around their IT and installed drivers on their computers...worked like a charm. The drivers they had got corrupted/broken somehow.

You could also assign a new ipaddress to the trouble printer , reinstall and setup configure new print driver and test

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    You could also assign a new ipaddress to the trouble printer , reinstall and setup configure new print driver and test
    Yes, but with DHCP...

Quote Originally Posted by Xcelsior View Post
    It could be something as stupid as drivers, or as Mark mentioned a possible IP Conflict; That can cause such weird issue it can affect people at random. Incorrect or corrupt drivers can cause a host of issues that can seem like the machine is going wack as well.

Hell, we had an issue where printing was being erratic and the tech told IT to reinstall drivers; They reinstalled them (several times) to no avail. He had to treat it as a machine issue and went so far as to do an All Clear and never fixed it; I went in and went around their IT and installed drivers on their computers...worked like a charm. The drivers they had got corrupted/broken somehow.
    I have pinged the IP with the cable disconnected and there's no reply. 2 of the laptops that have an issue, were actually new people that I had to install fresh drivers - ZERO joy!
    Coincidentally, I'm installing a C3503 in there tomorrow in place of the C2051, and they're putting it into a backup roll - however it's going to be used by at least a couple of the people that are currently having issues.
    I've got a few suggestions to try, and I'll post back if I get it sorted out.

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

some random thoughts...

Everything on the same network? 192.168.1.xyz etc... could be a routing issue...

Is there an access range set on the copier?

If you manually change the ttl on one of the problem pc's(assuming you can) back to default does it fix it?
    from a cmd prompt
    netsh int ipv4 set glob defaultcurhoplimit=255

not sure if this has any affect but some installs require us to increase the diprint timeout
    telnet into copier
    diprint timeout 60
    logout and save changes

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I have pinged the IP with the cable disconnected and there's no reply. 2 of the laptops that have an issue, were actually new people that I had to install fresh drivers - ZERO joy!
    Coincidentally, I'm installing a C3503 in there tomorrow in place of the C2051, and they're putting it into a backup roll - however it's going to be used by at least a couple of the people that are currently having issues.
    I've got a few suggestions to try, and I'll post back if I get it sorted out.

Thanks everyone for the tips!
    CORRECTION: When the salesman with his lap top (and the same IP address as your Ricoh) is out off the office, THEN you won't get any reply...

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You know, one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the firewall on the computers, or more precisely the security suite. I have seen the same thing when suziq didn't know that a new security suite had been installed. The first time she went to print, a popup message appeared and she just clicked block without first reading the message. She blocked IP printing to the IP address of the printer. Found it by checking security logs.