Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Multiple users can't print to machine

Re: Multiple users can't print to machine

If they are printing from win 10 pc's, unchecking the box "let windows manage this device" may help. It has solved a similar problem for me. (It's in devices and printers settings) I detest windows 10. It's the most control freak OS ever.
    Slim mentioned antivirus and firewall, too. Disabling these functions MAY shed a little light on the issue. Newer Norton security installs seem to require making changes in the software to add the machine as a trusted device to get things working. And yes, I also detest Norton, the most control freak security software ever.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Did a similar setup the other day, 9 desktops Win 10. Installed drivers on each desktop. 3 of the Win 10 would not take the PCL driver, never had this happen before. Had to use the PCL 6.

Everything was fine, prints, removed the PCL 5 from the Devices and printers. But when you go to print a document .pdf, the pcl 5 driver / printer is populated in the choices. If the user selects the pcl 5 it will not print !
    I renamed the printer so the user knows which is correct.

I despise Win 10, each version has its own set of funky problems

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    CORRECTION: When the salesman with his lap top (and the same IP address as your Ricoh) is out off the office, THEN you won't get any reply...
    .....So printing at that time wouldn't be a problem for the others, because the salesman with his laptop (and conflicting IP address) is out of the office ......but it is
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 06-28-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    If they are printing from win 10 pc's, unchecking the box "let windows manage this device" may help. It has solved a similar problem for me. (It's in devices and printers settings) I detest windows 10. It's the most control freak OS ever.
    Slim mentioned antivirus and firewall, too. Disabling these functions MAY shed a little light on the issue. Newer Norton security installs seem to require making changes in the software to add the machine as a trusted device to get things working. And yes, I also detest Norton, the most control freak security software ever.
    I uncheck that stupid box all the time, but it gets re-checked every time Windows installs an update, so now I also disable all of the WSD options in the WIM, so that automatic installation doesn't occur

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Did a similar setup the other day, 9 desktops Win 10. Installed drivers on each desktop. 3 of the Win 10 would not take the PCL driver, never had this happen before. Had to use the PCL 6.

Everything was fine, prints, removed the PCL 5 from the Devices and printers. But when you go to print a document .pdf, the pcl 5 driver / printer is populated in the choices. If the user selects the pcl 5 it will not print !
    This was interesting to me until I realized that I only had the PCL6 driver with me , so that's what's installed on the problem machines. Maybe I have to go the opposite direction with them and install the PCL5?
    It's worth a try!

I just found a P/S 3 card in my office, so no harm in trying that one too

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

I would learn toward a dynamic fault in the router or network switch. I've seen a network switch behave random like you've stating.

If it's not a conflicting IP address, maybe their IT may have fixed a permanent NIC printer MAC address at the router/switch or firewall. If the MAC address is fixed the and the network card is changed/swapped the printer will not be allowed through the firewall onto the network. Check the firewall logs to see if the NIC MAC is logged as blocked.

Do all the problem print PC's share their printer connection through another share slave PC connected at the office.
    Such be the case, is the printer slave PC share still active an allowing people to share its printer?

Do a full spooler directory clean out of all the print problem PC's. There will be print files waiting/hanging in the queue while your trying to find the error.

Hang five...,I'll post a link to a delete spooler batch file here:

htttp://www.copytechnet.com/forums/connectivity/97276-all-one-i-t-tech-software.html#post561092

All in one I.T. Tech software.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ˇ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post

I despise Win 10, each version has its own set of funky problems
    Some older software and Apps will only print to the Windows "default" printer no matter if you select another printer driver.
    By setting the desired printer to Windows "default" status the older software will pickup on the other drivers on the system.
    This means setting each optional driver to the "Windows Default" setting before it can be seen.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ˇ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    This should probably be posted in the connectivity forum, but it’s not…

So Here goes…. An office of about 15 people connected to a Ricoh MP2851, and MP C2051 (among other standalone printers). Multiple users can’t print to the C2051. Printing to the MP2851 has no issues for anyone.
    Let’s get all the WSD port questions out of the way. They’re all connected individually via tcp/ip ports with PCL5 or 6 drivers, and Yes, I’ve tried switching.
    Finally, I realize that the NIC connection on the machine is sketchy and comes and goes, there is also a pin or 2 that is damaged inside. I figure that I’ve found my problem.
    I swap the controller board, and BOOM! It’s back on line and seemingly everyone is ok. Wrong!
    More people can print, but there are still about 4 users that can’t.
    I’m desperate to prove to them that it has “something” to do with the network, and not the machine, but now I’m in a little over my head, and I can’t understand what exactly might cause this behavior. Why is it only one machine and not the other?
    There are multiple network switches around the office, so now I’m convinced that it must have something to do with that, so I moved the machine, and connected it where the MP2851 is.
    Same problem!🤬

Here’s what I also know, but don’t know exactly what it means:
    When I ping the copier from any of the PC’s/ Laptops that can’t print, it returns “64” instead of “255” – whether connected wirelessly or hard-wired, wheras the other mahcine returns 255 from those same PC's.
    There were 2 users sitting at a desk, neither can print to it wirelessly or hard-wired from either laptop. I plugged in my laptop to their connection, and it connected and printed fine.

This is something entirely different than I’ve run across before. I feel like I’ve proven that it’s not the machine, but I don’t have the experience or insight to suggest what could cause this.
    They have an IT company, but I got called in for a printing issue, and I’ve sort of been stuck in the middle without any answers.

I appreciate ANY Suggestions or advice you can provide…..and remember I’m just a tech who connects these devices to smallish networks, and not anything close to an IT Guy, so dumb it down for me if you have too .

Thanks!!
    I suggest swapping the IP address to the working device and test?

You also mentioned your ping not returning 255, do you mean the last octet of the IP is 255? If so this may be the broadcast IP of the network and not an IP address to be assigned to the copier.

Recommend you put the device on DHCP, get a new IP and try again.

Thanks to everyone for all of the input. I knew that at least one of your suggestions would resolve this for me.
    It turned out to be about the most simple solution: Changed the IP address on the machine, created new Tcp/Ip ports on PC's, and KABOOM! Everyone is back on line!
    I won't try to understand the reason that would happen out of the blue after about 5 years, but I learned a lot along the way trying to find a solution myself for many hours, before asking the experts here for help....Trial and Error is how I typically do my best learning .

Thanks again!!

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all of the input. I knew that at least one of your suggestions would resolve this for me.
    It turned out to be about the most simple solution: Changed the IP address on the machine, created new Tcp/Ip ports on PC's, and KABOOM! Everyone is back on line!
    I won't try to understand the reason that would happen out of the blue after about 5 years, but I learned a lot along the way trying to find a solution myself for many hours, before asking the experts here for help....Trial and Error is how I typically do my best learning .

Thanks again!!
    Perhaps something else on the network was trying to jab at the same IP as the copier.

Always try the easy things first when you can.
    When troubleshooting a problem account always assume NOTHING was done right.