Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Multiple users can't print to machine

This should probably be posted in the connectivity forum, but it’s not…

So Here goes…. An office of about 15 people connected to a Ricoh MP2851, and MP C2051 (among other standalone printers). Multiple users can’t print to the C2051. Printing to the MP2851 has no issues for anyone.
    Let’s get all the WSD port questions out of the way. They’re all connected individually via tcp/ip ports with PCL5 or 6 drivers, and Yes, I’ve tried switching.
    Finally, I realize that the NIC connection on the machine is sketchy and comes and goes, there is also a pin or 2 that is damaged inside. I figure that I’ve found my problem.
    I swap the controller board, and BOOM! It’s back on line and seemingly everyone is ok. Wrong!
    More people can print, but there are still about 4 users that can’t.
    I’m desperate to prove to them that it has “something” to do with the network, and not the machine, but now I’m in a little over my head, and I can’t understand what exactly might cause this behavior. Why is it only one machine and not the other?
    There are multiple network switches around the office, so now I’m convinced that it must have something to do with that, so I moved the machine, and connected it where the MP2851 is.
    Same problem!🤬

Here’s what I also know, but don’t know exactly what it means:
    When I ping the copier from any of the PC’s/ Laptops that can’t print, it returns “64” instead of “255” – whether connected wirelessly or hard-wired, wheras the other mahcine returns 255 from those same PC's.
    There were 2 users sitting at a desk, neither can print to it wirelessly or hard-wired from either laptop. I plugged in my laptop to their connection, and it connected and printed fine.

This is something entirely different than I’ve run across before. I feel like I’ve proven that it’s not the machine, but I don’t have the experience or insight to suggest what could cause this.
    They have an IT company, but I got called in for a printing issue, and I’ve sort of been stuck in the middle without any answers.

I appreciate ANY Suggestions or advice you can provide…..and remember I’m just a tech who connects these devices to smallish networks, and not anything close to an IT Guy, so dumb it down for me if you have too .

Thanks!!

Re: Multiple users can't print to machine

Great Information,
    If you can print using your laptop from a hard wire connection from the same user pc that can't print
    could be one of the following print spooler hosed up and reboot resolve the other is below
    Any of the pc's that can't print cancel all printing jobs and reboot pc and try a test page, Windows will sometimes take the printer offline if it can't print

Also under ports configuration uncheck snmp box it will take the printer offline

with snmp checked if the printer has a error it will take the printer offline
    Last edited by bsm2; 06-27-2018 at 12:44 AM.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Go to each PC, select Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, Print Spooler, stop service, restart service. Test print.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

When you said “64” and “255”, were they both preceeded with “TTL=“ ?

”TTL” is “Time to Live”, the time allowed for the packet to return.

What operating systems are they running? Not all use the same default.

If they are all the same, perhaps their IT has made some changes, but for what reason(s)?
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Great Information,
    If you can print using your laptop from a hard wire connection from the same user pc that can't print
    could be one of the following print spooler hosed up and reboot resolve the other is below
    Any of the pc's that can't print cancel all printing jobs and reboot pc and try a test page, Windows will sometimes take the printer offline if it can't print

Also under ports configuration uncheck snmp box it will take the printer offline

with snmp checked if the printer has a error it will take the printer offline
    Error is not necessary. The printer merely needs to respond too slowly to an snmp request ans Ricoh are known for slow network responses.

Sandy, when you connected your laptop did you get a different IP than either of the 2 customer computers? Someone may have been playing with the access settings. the computers that are not able to print might be getting by the access settings. You can check/clear through WIM or you can use SP 5807-011 NCS Clear. If you use SP, you will have reenter all IP settings.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Go to each PC, select Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, Print Spooler, stop service, restart service. Test print.
    I'll give that a try, but wouldn't all printers be affected if the spooler wasacting funky? (Just curious)

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    When you said “64” and “255”, were they both preceeded with “TTL=“ ?

”TTL” is “Time to Live”, the time allowed for the packet to return.

What operating systems are they running? Not all use the same default.

If they are all the same, perhaps their IT has made some changes, but for what reason(s)?
    Thanks Ken.
    Yes, they were preceeded by "TTL" and at least 2 are running Win 7, the other 2 are running Win 10
    Their IT guy was in there last week setting up some software for them - apparently on the same day that things went south .
    I don't know anything about how it was set up, but I do know that at least 2 of the users having problems printing, don't use it -but that may not matter..

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Error is not necessary. The printer merely needs to respond too slowly to an snmp request ans Ricoh are known for slow network responses.

Sandy, when you connected your laptop did you get a different IP than either of the 2 customer computers? Someone may have been playing with the access settings. the computers that are not able to print might be getting by the access settings. You can check/clear through WIM or you can use SP 5807-011 NCS Clear. If you use SP, you will have reenter all IP settings.
    No Tim, they're definitely on the same IP, and there's no access range set. I forgot to mention that I did go through and do a memory clear on all of the network and printer settings.
    BTW, the printer does show "offline" on all of the troubled PC's

Printing local each pc spools the job in print spooler
    thats why only one or two pcs are affected
    if printer driver was on a server that had the issue no one could print

Most likely you fixed the printer but some of the workstations are hosed do to the original problem
    again check to see under ports configuration snmp must always be unchecked
    on ANY PRINTER INSTALL
    Another would be to install a new printer on the local pc and run a test print

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    check to see under ports configuration snmp must always be unchecked
    on ANY PRINTER INSTALL
    Is this a fact? I have never disabled snmp in my life, and also never had an issue like this, and I believe it's enabled by default - at least in Ricoh Drivers, so can I ask you to explain the reason please?

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Is this a fact? I have never disabled snmp in my life, and also never had an issue like this, and I believe it's enabled by default - at least in Ricoh Drivers, so can I ask you to explain the reason please?

Sure it's a known problem for the last 4 plus years

snmp monitors printer status if an error like add paper , need toner, paper jam, Windows would take the printer offline , once the error was fixed Windows would put the printer back online. Windows made a change to snmp and Broke the return signal and NO Windows will not fix it.
    The service call will be if snmp is checked printer is offline error. Most users and tech's just reboot there PC and the error will reset and printer will be back online. That's why you may not have seen it but most of your user's have.
    Uncheck SNMP on all your driver installs.

If you want contact your manufacturer tech rep or tech support.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I would try tracert in a DOS window from WS. It will tell you if and where the network loses the info.
    Had an account that had many switches going to copier and one was flakey.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?