Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

2018D - Unexplained errors

I was printing in my 2018D when I noticed that the copies coming out wasn't hot and the toner isn't baked into the paper.

I immediately stopped the printing and turned the machine off.

When I turned it back on. It started displaying different errors like SC545, SC541, SC121. Also displays JAM errors in R, B and A.

I performed a 5-801 to clear errors but to no avail. I also checked all paper paths but there's nothing in there.

This is the first time I encountered these barrage of errors.

Thanks for your inputs.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Re: 2018D - Unexplained errors

Most codes starting with 5xx relate to fusing unit. Either it is too hot or not hot at all. It is not a user fixable problem and needs parts to repair it. Therefore the codes keep coming back after you clear them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Press the GREEN button!!

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Most codes starting with 5xx relate to fusing unit. Either it is too hot or not hot at all. It is not a user fixable problem and needs parts to repair it. Therefore the codes keep coming back after you clear them.Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Thanks

Forgot to mention I also tried swapping an identical fusing unit from an MP2000 but still the errors persist.

The machine did not exhibit anything unusual before this happened. The first pages printed out just fine.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

If you have cleared all with SP 5801 you will have to enter all the factory settings, replace and initialise TD sensor, but first you have to repair the fuser fault. It has been a while but I dont think MP 2000 is the same.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    If you have cleared all with SP 5801 you will have to enter all the factory settings, replace and initialise TD sensor, but first you have to repair the fuser fault. It has been a while but I dont think MP 2000 is the same.
    Thanks for the reply.

Pardon me but is that equivalent to a factory reset? I have done a TD initialization before when I replaced the PCU but i haven't entered factory settings before. This is actually the first time I did a 5-801 clear memory.

Trusted Tech 250+ Posts Athlontini's Avatar

SP5801 clears all of the NVRAM settings. It will not reset a fuser code, you're thinking of SP5810. Not all models have this SP mode. I believe on your model, you reset the fuser codes by simply entering service mode and then turning the main power OFF and then back on.

Leave your replacement fuser in and try doing that. You might get it to come back to life.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

"another magical wand that makes everything new again,just enter SP5810 and it makes all new again"..
    My assumption is you are more a end user,and if so you might consider a manual,a real tech or do more research
    before hitting the 5810 button

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    "another magical wand that makes everything new again,just enter SP5810 and it makes all new again"..
    My assumption is you are more a end user,and if so you might consider a manual,a real tech or do more research
    before hitting the 5810 button
    The 5801 was the last resort and it was the first time i used it. I had managed to fix other problems before without it. I have a service manual and i consult it before making any moves.

This time was different. The machine suddenly went nuts. Displaying error after error. There's SC121, jam errors in 3 areas. I managed to isolate a failed thermistor and the SC5XX went away. The others are still around.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    2018D - Unexplained errors

I have used SP 5801-001 once or twice but only when talking to tech support and only after backing up the VMram as directed by tech support. It has never resolved the problem.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Sounds like you have a pinched/damaged harness or a bad board. Trace the harnesses in the p to p and check continuity. If the jams are code 001 and the 5 series SC code comes back you have a fault in power being supplied to the machine either from the outlet or the PSU. I have seen machines on overloaded circuits do similar shenanigans. This machine is pretty old, too. If I was an end user I might just drop it off at the dump and buy a big box HP from Walmart.