Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: SC721-81 On MPC4504 SR3220 finisher

I had this error again only this week on a brand new device that got delivered

Removed the shift tray drive gears, set it to its lowest limit and put everything back together

finisher reset its self back to its home position and bang it was fine

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    SC721-81 On MPC4504 SR3220 finisher

Quote Originally Posted by Imprestik View Post
    I had this error again only this week on a brand new device that got delivered

Removed the shift tray drive gears, set it to its lowest limit and put everything back together

finisher reset its self back to its home position and bang it was fine
    Thanks for the info, I did try this, out of interest how did you lower the tray? I took front & rear drive gear off to allow it to drop but there must be an easier way!?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Thanks for the info, I did try this, out of interest how did you lower the tray? I took front & rear drive gear off to allow it to drop but there must be an easier way!?
    No that's the only way I'm afraid.

When you did it did the motor drive the shift tray back to its home position?

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    No that's the only way I'm afraid.

When you did it did the motor drive the shift tray back to its home position?
    Just about all of the stand up finishers will have a large gear held in place by a spring at the top rear of the finisher. If you take the rear cover off you can see it and if you pull it towards the outside of the finisher it will decouple from the drive and the shift tray will drop like a rock. It's not easy to move if you don't take a the top cover off though. Once you let go it will pop back into place and the drive will work as normal.

https://i.imgur.com/8qXtq8t.jpg

This picture should give you a good idea of what I mean.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sturmtrooper View Post
    Just about all of the stand up finishers will have a large gear held in place by a spring at the top rear of the finisher. If you take the rear cover off you can see it and if you pull it towards the outside of the finisher it will decouple from the drive and the shift tray will drop like a rock. It's not easy to move if you don't take a the top cover off though. Once you let go it will pop back into place and the drive will work as normal.

https://i.imgur.com/8qXtq8t.jpg

This picture should give you a good idea of what I mean.
    In your photo you are describing the older type finishers that sit on a MPC4502/5502 and older as the shift tray was driven by belt.

From the MPC5503 with finisher types SR3140/3150/3160 and 3170 they are gear driven only.

The shift tray has arms on it with a long straight gear which meshes with a circular gear and the drive motor for it is located parallel with the staple unit in its home position at the front of the finisher and not as the rear as shown in your photo

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Not sure if this helps but if you cant pull the unit out it due to a locking flap has brocken part number D686 4358 if set in the incorrect position it will also show cods and a jam.

Quote Originally Posted by slot View Post
    Not sure if this helps but if you cant pull the unit out it due to a locking flap has brocken part number D686 4358 if set in the incorrect position it will also show cods and a jam.
    This is a great help, thanks, this part is actually broken half of it is laying in the botom of the finisher!
    However this was most likely broken by me trying the pull the unit out.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

In your photo you are describing the older type finishers that sit on a MPC4502/5502 and older as the shift tray was driven by belt.

From the MPC5503 with finisher types SR3140/3150/3160 and 3170 they are gear driven only.

The shift tray has arms on it with a long straight gear which meshes with a circular gear and the drive motor for it is located parallel with the staple unit in its home position at the front of the finisher and not as the rear as shown in your photo
    The picture is from an SR4120 from a MP6503, but you are correct on the drive differences.

Yep I agree all the new finishers have the sprung loaded gear just as the 02's had.

D6864358.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by slot View Post

Hello again. I hope you can help. I have this issue again & not sure how it happens. I found the client has broken the guide D6864358

My question is how does one replace this part? It is only 2x screws to remove when broken but to replace is very inaccessible to relocate/fit

Hoping someone has a short cut to replacing this little plastic guide.

Item 157 is this pdf.

D6864358.pdf