Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Maintenance schedule for C5502

I would be grateful if someone might let me know the correct maintenance schedule for an MP C5502 and maybe some general advice on getting professional maintenance done. In the last six months we've done 18,154 pages (10,484 color and 7,670 BW).

It is not an easy task to find competent and honest techs here, so we are trying to figure out what would be considered normal and use this as a general guide.

Thank you!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Maintenance schedule for C5502

That volume virtually NOTHING for this machine, but the important thing is what are the total counters on the machine, because you mentioned in your other post that it was a refurbished unit. So it has a certain amount of previous history that could make a BIG difference on what it may need, and the fuser issue you described in that thread would be very unusual for a low meter machine

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    That volume virtually NOTHING for this machine, but the important thing is what are the total counters on the machine, because you mentioned in your other post that it was a refurbished unit. So it has a certain amount of previous history that could make a BIG difference on what it may need, and the fuser issue you described in that thread would be very unusual for a low meter machine
    Total counts are 20,988 color and 19,657 BW.

Certain people in the office have a bad habit of loading used paper into the machine and printing on the opposite side, which we think is what caused the problem. The paper currently in also a so/so quality 70 g/m2 economy line.

Any advice for keeping it running - from the point of view of a tech - would be appreciated.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

I have listed the maintenance table below. Now, having said all that: when they say- The yield figures in the above table are based on the following conditions:
    A4 (LT) long-edge feed 5% image coverage ratio Color ratio: 30% 4 print/job

They are not joking. Running below those numbers, especially a large amount of single page jobs will wear your parts significantly more. Over use won't really have as much of an effect as under use.

Now, as to the part lives? They're really more of an expected guide. Given the cost of the drums and developers in the machine it's usually a smarter bet, especially for the COLOR parts to just replace them when they fail and not before. As long as the machine is running well and the output quality is good you shouldn't be very worried about the counter of the parts themselves.

Our company policy is to generally replace the black drums around yield and the fusing sleeves the same. Color parts and ITB belts go until they die.

Part Number Description Q’ty/
    Unit
    Target
    Yield
    (Pages)
    Yield affected
    by P/J
    (see Note 3)
    Unique or
    Common
    PCDU
    D1442250 Drum Unit-K 1 300k Yes U (Note 1)
    D1442252 Drum Unit-CMY 1 150k Yes U (Note 1)
    D1449640 Developer-K 1 300k Yes U (Note 1)
    Transfer
    D1440622 ITB Cleaning Unit 1 300k Yes U (Note 1)
    D1446206D144
    PTR UnitSeparation/Transport Assy
    TRANSPORT SECT
    ION:ASS'Y
    1 300k Yes U (Note 1)
    Fusing
    D1444081 Fusing Belt Unit (116V) 1 240k Yes U
    D1444082 Fusing Belt Unit (223V) 1 240k Yes U
    D1444057 Pressure Roller 1 300k Yes U (Note 1)
    Other
    D0896509 Waste Toner Bottle (Note 2) 1 150k No U (Note 1)
    TBAB2231276 Dust Filter 2 TBA300k No Yes TBACommon

NOTE 1: These items are common with AT-C3.
    NOTE 2: The yield figures in the above table are based on the following conditions:
    A4 (LT) long-edge feed
    5% image coverage ratio
    Color ratio: 30%
    4 print/job
    NOTE 3: For most PM parts, the yield will depend on P/J (pages per job) or
    image coverage ratio. For more details, see “APPENDIX 1: PM UNIT YIELD” below.
    Ver.1.3 Page 23 of 72 7/21/15
    Subject to change without notice
    Product Support Guide
    D143/D144
    Part
    Number
    Description Q’ty/ Unit Expecte
    d Yield
    (Pages)
    Yield affected
    by P/J
    (see Note 4)
    Unique or
    Common
    PCDU
    D1443010 Development Unit – K 1 600k Yes U
    (Note 1
    and 2)
    D1443020 Development Unit - M 1 480k Yes
    D1443030 Development Unit - C 1 480k Yes
    D1443040 Development Unit - Y 1 480k Yes
    D1449660 Developer - M 1 240k Yes
    D1449670 Developer - C 1 240k Yes
    D1449680 Developer - Y 1 240k Yes
    Transfer
    D1446011 ITB Unit 1 600k Yes U (Note 3)
    NOTE 1: These items are common with AT-C3.
    NOTE 2: The color development units and color developer are treated as EM parts, as the actual yield of these
    units depends on the actual color ratio.
    NOTE 3: The ITB Unit is also an EM part, as its expected yield is relatively long
    NOTE 4: For above yield parts, the yield will depend on P/J (pages per job). For more details, see “APPENDIX
    1: PM UNIT YIELD” below.

Technician

Thanks A LOT!

Concerning paper, any recommendations with respect to brand, etc? Before switching to this economy stuff we ran Double A Everyday. Any suggestions from the UMP line?

Technician

Probably, that jam in the fuser, is caused by using 70 gr. in printing with great color coverage.
    Use 80 gr paper of quality, and in prints with a lot of color coverage, make them from tray 2 in A4 rotated.

On that machine you should change the pieces when there is an image problem, jams, noise ... There is no reason to have as a reference the estimated life.

However, the counters in a recycled machine, usually do not indicate anything, because the pieces you have will not be of that machine, nor those copies.

Enviado desde mi Redmi 4X mediante Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

One thing to remember is that most 'color' prints include black. The total black count is black only. For maintenance purposes, it is best to use the maintenance counters in the SP mode. Also follow the service manual to reset everything replaced. That way you know where you're at the next time around.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

"It is not an easy task to find competent and honest techs here" how so,plus you list yourself as a tech...

looks like finding competent help in the office too"Certain people in the office have a bad habit of loading used paper into the machine and printing on the opposite side"

i never understand an account buying a $10,000 color unit and cheaping out on paper or
    aftermarket toners........."if you are going to the dance then dance"

I had some account here who i sold a used mpc3502 decide to use a thin extension to connect power
    to an outlet 20 feet away.i told him no good, and 2 months later he calls me with weird sc codes..
    I ask did you buy an heavy extension cord or hire electrician to put in outlet,"no"...
    Waiting to see which board will go first.....

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    "It is not an easy task to find competent and honest techs here" how so,plus you list yourself as a tech...

looks like finding competent help in the office too"Certain people in the office have a bad habit of loading used paper into the machine and printing on the opposite side"

i never understand an account buying a $10,000 color unit and cheaping out on paper or
    aftermarket toners........."if you are going to the dance then dance"

I had some account here who i sold a used mpc3502 decide to use a thin extension to connect power
    to an outlet 20 feet away.i told him no good, and 2 months later he calls me with weird sc codes..
    I ask did you buy an heavy extension cord or hire electrician to put in outlet,"no"...
    Waiting to see which board will go first.....
    An assistant used to be a teacher in another lifetime... she probably thinks she's doing the earth a favor...........

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MP C5502 Fan View Post
    An assistant used to be a teacher in another lifetime... she probably thinks she's doing the earth a favor...........
    maybe the earth but not you or your machine...
    Maybe explain to her old previous copied paper picks up moisture and gets "soft"
    or bends,creases etc etc....
    ask her if she would put used engine oil in her car..
    plus these days most countries recycle all paper.............let her load it in her car and
    drop it off in person...........