Technician

Ricoh c820dn SC400 Error

Hello All!

Hope you can help. My Ricoh c820dn has just started to throw the SC400 error. I did some google-fu, but could not find anything specific to the c820dn.

I understand this has to do with the "id sensor" but I don't know what/where this is.

The printer has a new transfer belt (replaced a couple months ago), and I just put in a maintenance kit (fuser and transfer roller (?)) last friday.

I opened the right side door and blew out a bunch of paper dust. Restarted the printer and it printed about 20 pages before throwing the SC400 error again.

Is this something I can fix or will I need to have a tech come out?

Thank you in advance!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh c820dn SC400 Error

Cool Re: Ricoh c820dn SC400 Error

Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technician

Re: Ricoh c820dn SC400 Error

Thank you for the information. I would have never known where to look, but I must still be missing something ...

So:

I removed the Fuser, took out the Transfer belt and K PCU.

The area around the sensor was really dirty so I used can air the best I could to blow everything out.

I did slide the "door" back (it's like an 1/8" of an inch movement) and used canned air in the gap....

Started the printer, and got the error again after about 5 pages...

Did I not clean it properly? It's a tiny gap when you slide the "door" back...

Should I run a soft cloth through the gap? I don't want to damage anything in there...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh c820dn SC400 Error

I think you should call a tech. You did what you could. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by chadderuski View Post
    Thank you for the information. I would have never known where to look, but I must still be missing something ...

So:

The area around the sensor was really dirty so I used can air the best I could to blow everything out.

I did slide the "door" back (it's like an 1/8" of an inch movement) and used canned air in the gap....

Should I run a soft cloth through the gap? I don't want to damage anything in there...
    Enviado desde mi SM-G920V mediante Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh c820dn SC400 Error

Quote Originally Posted by chadderuski View Post

So:

To properly clean the ID sensor use a soft cotton cloth slightly dampened with water. A dry cloth or synthetic material will cause static. A solvent can cloud the lens or the sensor.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    To properly clean the ID sensor use a soft cotton cloth slightly dampened with water. A dry cloth or synthetic material will cause static. A solvent can cloud the lens or the sensor.

So correct! And, canned air will just blow the toner dust around and settle back on to the sensor.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh c820dn SC400 Error

ok so everyone has told you where to look and how to clean the sensor.....

THE BIG QUESTION IS: -= WHY IS IT KICKING THE TONER OUT? =-
    Sounds like you have a leak somewhere.
    problem is:
    you never gave us the LIFE COUNT on the drums... developers ...ect.

SOMETIMES ( like others have stated ) Canned Air can blow toner/dev into gears/sensors/rollers .. and start causing more problems to fix BEFORE getting back to original problem.
    Sounds like you could be in a lil over your head... time to punt and call a Pro.

Technician

Hi Everyone!

First, Good News... I was able to clean the sensor (at least well enough to get the printer functional again!) using a damp soft napkin. Yes, I know not the best thing to use, but I couldn't find any of the microfiber I usually have on hand or PecPad I use on my camera lenses.

The thing was I really didn't know where the sensor was or what it looked like inside the door you slide back. Hard to see in there.
    Yes, that arrow in the attached image didn't quite register that THAT was where the sensor was, LOL.

After a second look with a better flashlight I could see the area was in the middle of the "door". So I gently swiped that area... yes, plenty of toner dust in there. Powered back up and so far no more errors.

Our c820dn has 340,000 color and 127,000 Black prints. New PCU on all colors only a couple months old, New Transfer belt replaced a couple months ago and a new "Maintenance Kit" (Fuser and Transfer Roller?) just this last Friday.

BTW, I have 2 (or 3?) used fusers... is it possible to rebuild these? Do they have ANY value? Or are there any services that can rebuild them?
    I actually scored TWO maintenance kits for like $50 each off ebay (new in the box!) along with the transfer belt for like $100, but I know they are usually very expensive.

Thank you all again for the help and advice.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Compatible toner can cause heavy dusting on this model, leading to poor PCU life and dirty ID sensors.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Technician

I agree. That is why I only use Ricoh toner in the C820dn.

We have a fleet of HP P4515's, but they ALWAYS buy the aftermarket junk for those and they are constantly having issues with poor print quality, bad cartridges and piles of toner in the machines.

But I buy the toner for the Ricoh so I search for deals on ebay