Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Real or altered counters

I find it strange that high production equipment is sold with 400,000 / 500,000 copies.
    Ricoh C651 / 751, Ricoh C5100, Ricoh MP9002 etc. Can this be true? How can I know if the
    counters were reduced by some pirate? Is there any way to know?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Real or altered counters

Re: Real or altered counters

The MP 9002 has an mechanical counter inside the front door. You just have to peel off a little gray decal. Most bigger machines have a mechanical counter. All the Wide format B/W machines have an external mechanical counter.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Real or altered counters

I don't remember on these units, but I think they have a Mechanical counter hidden somewhere behind a cover inside the front door (I may be wrong). I have also posed this question to our service manager and other techs in the past thinking it odd that we've received some with 100k - 200k total on them (Pro C751 and C8002). Manager said "It could be a company that bought one and then went out of business in a short time". Who knows! I do believe that it's pretty hard to mess with the meters on a machine (unless it's an NVRAM change, which will zero out the counter that you see on display and then go up from that point on).

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Real or altered counters

I find 9002 from a reputable company that I've used before with less than 350,000 sometimes. I always check the mechanical counters and they have always matched.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Real or altered counters

A low meter on large production machines is, most likely, the salesman's "over sale".
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Real or altered counters

I agree most of the time the low meters are legit and over sold by a salesman as the other posted suggested. I would actually trust an electronic counter more than a mechanical, but having both on a machine is best. I have seen machines where the mechanical counters have been opened and rolled back. I've had some where the elec & mech numbers don't match. I just won't buy these machines. There are instances when NVRAM, etc are replaced and the reason meters don't match. And of course there are pirate dealers who turn back meters. They are thieves and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. These are the same dealers who swap consumables, bad boards, etc with machines going back to leasing companies. Then an independent like me buys one of these swapped out off lease machines thinking it has a nice low meter only to find out I got screwed!

Technician

You know for some people having something really fast is just the issue.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Just to add, I would check the DF and Platen scans, plus inspect visually in detail covers off etc. It's not unknown for some devices to end up scanning far more than they do print nowadays. I have also seen customers need a loan machine as a issue with their original device was thought to be having major issues and might need to be swapped out then suddenly a solution is found.
    In some very wealthy companies where the print room has a standby machine (Which rarely gets used as they were lucky with downtime) or just as likely the print room fits three devices (for the sake of argument) and there are two operators, the two operators both have a favourite machine and only use the third when they have to as further from their desks.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Real or altered counters

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    I agree most of the time the low meters are legit and over sold by a salesman as the other posted suggested. I would actually trust an electronic counter more than a mechanical, but having both on a machine is best. I have seen machines where the mechanical counters have been opened and rolled back. I've had some where the elec & mech numbers don't match. I just won't buy these machines. There are instances when NVRAM, etc are replaced and the reason meters don't match. And of course there are pirate dealers who turn back meters. They are thieves and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. These are the same dealers who swap consumables, bad boards, etc with machines going back to leasing companies. Then an independent like me buys one of these swapped out off lease machines thinking it has a nice low meter only to find out I got screwed!
    I ran into a preowned pro 907 a while back that had a low electronic meter, but found out the mechanical meter had over 2 mil on it. I purposefully looked for the mech meter because there were some inconsistencies in the SMC (found its location in the parts catalog).
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    I ran into a preowned pro 907 a while back that had a low electronic meter, but found out the mechanical meter had over 2 mil on it. I purposefully looked for the mech meter because there were some inconsistencies in the SMC (found its location in the parts catalog).
    Could be the NVRAM was replaced at some point. Or could be they were trying to put one over on you.

Quote Originally Posted by JDYAL View Post
    The MP 9002 has an mechanical counter inside the front door. You just have to peel off a little gray decal. Most bigger machines have a mechanical counter. All the Wide format B/W machines have an external mechanical counter.
    I don't think the 9002 has one. I know the 6002 and 7502 don't. I'll have to check next time I'm working on one of the 9002s we have in the field.

Additionally I think mechanical meters are a lot more common in machines sold in North America than in other places. At least I've seen several "NA Only" remarks on mech meters.