This Space For Rent 100+ Posts JimHegs's Avatar

Ricoh MP5055 Dual line fax

We are a Kyocera/Canon dealer and we have an account that just bought a new Ricoh MP5055 with a dual line fax option from the competition and regret is starting to set in. The customer's phone lines check out OK but the 2nd fax will not answer a call regardless of which known good phone line is plugged into it. Per the customer the Ricoh tech has replaced the 2nd line fax option but it didn't help so they are claiming it must be a phone line issue. I know it's not a common option but is there any trick or configuration needed to make a second line works as advertised?

Thanks!
    Follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/JimHegs

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP5055 Dual line fax

Are you sure you've got the complaint correct, because this has come up before.

I've installed dual fax boards on Kyocera and Konica Minolta devices and neither of these brands will send on both lines. They can send on one line of your choosing, and receive on both lines.

On a particular occasion, two tenants of the same building pitched in 50/50 to buy a Konica Minolta C360. Their complaint was that both lines received, but tenant #2 could not figure out how to send on line #2. The answer was "You can't." But you can choose a different TTI from a list of possible TTI's. Once explained in excruciating detail I never saw the machine again.

If you suspect that you've got a bad phone line, simply just switch lines to the fax ports and see what happens. It should be obvious. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 08-17-2018 at 11:53 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHegs View Post
    We are a Kyocera/Canon dealer and we have an account that just bought a new Ricoh MP5055 with a dual line fax option from the competition and regret is starting to set in. The customer's phone lines check out OK but the 2nd fax will not answer a call regardless of which known good phone line is plugged into it. Per the customer the Ricoh tech has replaced the 2nd line fax option but it didn't help so they are claiming it must be a phone line issue. I know it's not a common option but is there any trick or configuration needed to make a second line works as advertised?

Thanks!
    I refer to this web page.
    Changing the Line Port

Outbound faxing works fine so let me rephrase my question: Two known good inbound fax lines, either one of them will work for inbound faxes if plugged into fax #1, neither of them work at all if plugged into fax #2, if you call whichever is plugged into Fax #2 the line will ring (as heard on the phone you're calling it from) but it will not pickup. It's like the 2nd line has no connection or isn't powered.

Like I said, this is a customer that bought the Ricoh from a competitor, we're just trying to help.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Outbound faxing works fine so let me rephrase my question: Two known good inbound fax lines, either one of them will work for inbound faxes if plugged into fax #1, neither of them work at all if plugged into fax #2, if you call whichever is plugged into Fax #2 the line will ring (as heard on the phone you're calling it from) but it will not pickup. It's like the 2nd line has no connection or isn't powered.

Like I said, this is a customer that bought the Ricoh from a competitor, we're just trying to help.
    Never installed a second line myself, but I've attached the complete installation procedure for the unit, just in case you want to double check it, but ALSO, there are a couple of SP's that need enabling (on the 2nd last page of the attachment).
    Good Luck. Hope it helps.
    Fax-2.pdf

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

If I were to guess, I'd say that step 15. may have been skipped:

Enter the service mode. Set Bit 1 of Communication Switch 16 to "1" (SP1-104-023).
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quick followup - Just as suspected by EVERYONE in the technician business, this was a phone line issue just like 97% of the fax calls we see, The Telco had the wrong line forwarded to the 2nd line and the Ricoh techs somehow missed it in their troubleshooting. Thanks for everyone's advice, I hate Faxes.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quick followup - Just as suspected by EVERYONE in the technician business, this was a phone line issue just like 97% of the fax calls we see, The Telco had the wrong line forwarded to the 2nd line and the Ricoh techs somehow missed it in their troubleshooting. Thanks for everyone's advice, I hate Faxes.
    This may be just me being salty with fax issues but it sounds like they troubleshooted it just fine when they said it was a line/telco issue. What kind of telco issue is up to the customer and telco to figure out.

But I suppose figuring out that the actual incoming fax number and the expected incoming fax number are not the same shouldn't be hard to figure out and would have firmly put the problem as not with the machine.