Technician

Ricoh MP C3002 GRRRRR TAC TAC TAC noise on Warm up

Hi all. Please help!
    I have an MP C3002 that makes a a very loud GRRRRR TAC TAC TAC noise from the back of the machine.
    This noise only happens when the machine warms up from sleep mode, or when switched on. The noise happens when the machine makes the reverse cycle during warm up. Once it is printing or copying there is no noise at all. If you are sitting at the back of the machine the noise comes from left middle on the extreme left. Here there is a set of gears below the Fusing Unit to the left. I have replaced the gears and finally the small bearing. I also replaced the Fusing Unit and the noise remains, so it is not the fusing unit. I have lubricated stripped and cleaned anything remotely connected or being driven by this set of gears and bearing but nothing seems to help. Can anyone give me some help and advice, please

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP C3002 GRRRRR TAC TAC TAC noise on Warm up

SP output mode will narrow it down.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lenovich View Post
    Hi all. Please help!
    I have an MP C3002 that makes a a very loud GRRRRR TAC TAC TAC noise from the back of the machine.
    This noise only happens when the machine warms up from sleep mode, or when switched on. The noise happens when the machine makes the reverse cycle during warm up. Once it is printing or copying there is no noise at all. If you are sitting at the back of the machine the noise comes from left middle on the extreme left. Here there is a set of gears below the Fusing Unit to the left. I have replaced the gears and finally the small bearing. I also replaced the Fusing Unit and the noise remains, so it is not the fusing unit. I have lubricated stripped and cleaned anything remotely connected or being driven by this set of gears and bearing but nothing seems to help. Can anyone give me some help and advice, please
    We have had strange ones like these. One turned out to be the interchange motor.

Another was the fusing drive gear on the machine side. A real POS to replace.

I agree with the output check to try and narrow it down. Just be mindful not to run checks too long as some can damage the machine that way.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Press the GREEN button!!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Sounds like the fuser pressure over running, there was a firmware update that resolves the issue.
    Or you can manually change the rotation time of the pressure roller contact motor for the pressure position.
    SP 1151-004, from default 2130msec to 800 or less. SP1151-2,3 and 4. Ricoh sent out some units with these values set too high, thus turning the pressure release too much
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Sounds like the fuser pressure over running, there was a firmware update that resolves the issue.
    Or you can manually change the rotation time of the pressure roller contact motor for the pressure position.
    SP 1151-004, from default 2130msec to 800 or less. SP1151-2,3 and 4. Ricoh sent out some units with these values set too high, thus turning the pressure release too much
    Beat me to it.

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

I'm last haha was about to ask same question because ran into same problem this week on a machine where someone did a full memory clear and buggered off without configuring the factory settings back into machine. Thanx for help everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Beat me to it.
    Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Thank you very much for this information!! Changed the settings and, hey presto, machine working with no noise at all!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Had a noise, maybe similar on same model that turned out to be the driven rollers underneath (duplex side) of the transfer/sep unit had popped out of its bushing and was rubbing on the guide. Could not get it to make noise in output mode, and it would only happen when turning machine on or out of sleep mode. Would not make the noise during printing. something to check.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Had a noise, maybe similar on same model that turned out to be the driven rollers underneath (duplex side) of the transfer/sep unit had popped out of its bushing and was rubbing on the guide. Could not get it to make noise in output mode, and it would only happen when turning machine on or out of sleep mode. Would not make the noise during printing. something to check.
    Thank you for the input, much appreciated. The fault was exactly the same as you described although the solution was different. I changed the rotation times in SP 1511-2, 3 and 4 and it solved this issue!