Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Looking for feedback on hooking up a mpc401 where there is no access to router..

HI
    I have to deliver a mpc401 to a "cottage" where they have wireless but cant get to the wired hub or router.
    I connected it up to my laptop in my shop using the usb port but wondered if there is another option.
    A crossover cable? I do have an wireless option i pulled off a mpc3502,would that work in a mpc401?
    what would you do?
    thanks

Re: Looking for feedback on hooking up a mpc401 where there is no access to router..

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    HI
    I have to deliver a mpc401 to a "cottage" where they have wireless but cant get to the wired hub or router.
    I connected it up to my laptop in my shop using the usb port but wondered if there is another option.
    A crossover cable? I do have an wireless option i pulled off a mpc3502,would that work in a mpc401?
    what would you do?
    thanks
    Buy a cheap wireless range extender and build into the cost of the machine.
    Plug ethernet cable into extender.
    Push the WPS button on the range extender and then the WPS button on the router.
    Job done
    Worse comes to worse if the WPS route doesn't work give the machine an I.P address within range of the router.
    I did an install just the other day this way...worked like a charm.
    Last edited by Oze; 09-03-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Looking for feedback on hooking up a mpc401 where there is no access to router..

Re: Looking for feedback on hooking up a mpc401 where there is no access to router..

HI
    what would you do?
    thanks
    If you are talking about the internal wireless option, I would avoid it. I prefer something like the NETGEAR NE300. Provides a single CAT 5 connection that can be used for the MP C401 or connected to a work group switch to connect additional devices. Usually under $50.

thanks all.
    AS I dont know this accnts situation,for all i know he might be hijacking his neighbors wireless network and if so
    he will not be able to press WPS button on the router.. So basically adding the ne300 makes the connection wireless but how does one enter the WEP and such?

Does it have the SOP? If so you can use WIFI.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If you are talking about the internal wireless option, I would avoid it. I prefer something like the NETGEAR NE300. Provides a single CAT 5 connection that can be used for the MP C401 or connected to a work group switch to connect additional devices. Usually under $50.
    I totally agree.

It’s not even worth checking to see if the wireless option is the same.

Far too persnickety and unreliable.

There are simply too many other solid and inexpensive solutions out there (such as what SlimSlob mentioned) to put up with the agony.

Another thing to consider...if you go the route of a USB connection, you’ve just precluded the scanning option. Scanning (push or pull) is a network-only proposition.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

thanks all.
    AS I dont know this accnts situation,for all i know he might be hijacking his neighbors wireless network and if so
    he will not be able to press WPS button on the router.. So basically adding the ne300 makes the connection wireless but how does one enter the WEP and such?
    If he’s hijacking his neighbor’s WiFi, that’s HIS problem, NOT yours.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Thanks but no SOP on this one..
    NOP..

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    If he’s hijacking his neighbor’s WiFi, that’s HIS problem, NOT yours.
    The way i see it if he is all i want is to finish the install and get paid...
    He may not be doing such but he did say running a network cable was "not possible"..
    As for scanning he can always scan to usb on side panel,no biggie..
    thanks for all the info

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I typically just connect my range extenders manually regardless of WPS availability -it still only takes a minute or 2.
    I'm not familiar with the model suggested, but the instructions will be in the package, and they're all very similar. Typically it's as simple as plugging in the extender, and connecting my laptop directly to it with a network cable, logging in to the ip address of the unit and following the instructions. It will find all available networks just like any other wifi device. Connect to the proper network and save changes, the plug the copier in to the extender and proceed as usual.