Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Looking for feedback on hooking up a mpc401 where there is no access to router..

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    The way i see it if he is all i want is to finish the install and get paid...
    He may not be doing such but he did say running a network cable was "not possible"..
    As for scanning he can always scan to usb on side panel,no biggie..
    thanks for all the info
    I forgot about the scan to USB function, probably because I’m not a big fan of it.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Looking for feedback on hooking up a mpc401 where there is no access to router..

Re: Looking for feedback on hooking up a mpc401 where there is no access to router..

The way i see it if he is all i want is to finish the install and get paid...
    He may not be doing such but he did say running a network cable was "not possible"..
    As for scanning he can always scan to usb on side panel,no biggie..
    thanks for all the info
    If you have placed it where he wants it and there is no network connection at that location, the installation is complete.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Looking for feedback on hooking up a mpc401 where there is no access to router..

thanks all.
    AS I dont know this accnts situation,for all i know he might be hijacking his neighbors wireless network and if so
    he will not be able to press WPS button on the router.. So basically adding the ne300 makes the connection wireless but how does one enter the WEP and such?
    Hopefully they are not using WEP, Wired Equivalent Protocol. It is only slightly more secure than an unsecured WIFI.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

I use the Apple Airport Express to enable wifi on any printer or copier (that does not have it built in) very stable never drops off & support for SMB, scan to email etc.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I typically just connect my range extenders manually regardless of WPS availability -it still only takes a minute or 2.
    I'm not familiar with the model suggested, but the instructions will be in the package, and they're all very similar. Typically it's as simple as plugging in the extender, and connecting my laptop directly to it with a network cable, logging in to the ip address of the unit and following the instructions. It will find all available networks just like any other wifi device. Connect to the proper network and save changes, the plug the copier in to the extender and proceed as usual.
    thanks..
    I figured laptop would configure the initial connection.
    I am going to suggest both option,simple print to USB or the range extender,I just dont want to spend
    time i dont have to explain to customer how system works and what to do if it loses signal..
    HEY sandmanmac Any shows you going to?
    I am going to see OZZY this week at the beach,should be entertaining

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If you have placed it where he wants it and there is no network connection at that location, the installation is complete.
    if it was that simple,i do wish..

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    Buy a cheap wireless range extender and build into the cost of the machine.
    Plug ethernet cable into extender.
    Push the WPS button on the range extender and then the WPS button on the router.
    Job done
    Worse comes to worse if the WPS route doesn't work give the machine an I.P address within range of the router.
    I did an install just the other day this way...worked like a charm.
    I also did this about a year ago, and it works great. No network related calls have been reported.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

TP link do cheap 'Travel Routers' they have a function called client mode allows you to bridge the wireless and create an ethernet out, easy to set up and do a good job!

Ive used the cheap wifi extender route many times. It works pretty well as long as the extender is decent. I like the linksys extender with the cord option the best. You can even attach it to the back of the machine. If you need to set up the extender, just hook it directly to your computer and the manual will tell you the link to put in your web browser to set it up. Most extenders will walk you through the process.

Another trick I have used is to take a computer near by, wire the copier to it and bridge the wired and wireless connection on the computer. You would have to set static IP's and the computer needs to stay on to give connection to the copier, but it works.

I would stay away from the SOP wifi if you plan on using anything other then just printing. The Android panel is technically a separate device from the rest of the copier. They achieve network connection through port forwarding different services. Ricoh hasn't really done that a lot to make the machine available through the SOP's personal wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Mealstech View Post
    Ive used the cheap wifi extender route many times. It works pretty well as long as the extender is decent. I like the linksys extender with the cord option the best. You can even attach it to the back of the machine. If you need to set up the extender, just hook it directly to your computer and the manual will tell you the link to put in your web browser to set it up. Most extenders will walk you through the process.

Another trick I have used is to take a computer near by, wire the copier to it and bridge the wired and wireless connection on the computer. You would have to set static IP's and the computer needs to stay on to give connection to the copier, but it works.

I would stay away from the SOP wifi if you plan on using anything other then just printing. The Android panel is technically a separate device from the rest of the copier. They achieve network connection through port forwarding different services. Ricoh hasn't really done that a lot to make the machine available through the SOP's personal wifi.
    Thanks all..
    The deal fell thru,a real odd fella..

"Another trick I have used is to take a computer near by, wire the copier to it and bridge the wired and wireless connection on the computer. You would have to set static IP's and the computer needs to stay on to give connection to the copier, but it works."

I do that a lot and now keep a few spare 5 port hubs wth me all the time in my car.
    A quick easy connection.