Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Weird prints after doing portforward to printer.

Quote Originally Posted by CloussiDee View Post
    I'm aware that i'm exposing the ports - We started out with only port 9100, but that made some problems with status on the print/toner etc.

The reasen for this solution, is that we have 15 different users, who want to access the same printer, and they have 15 different ISP's. So local printing is not a solution.
    A VPN is going to be a better option than opening ports to the public internet. You've already opened enough to the outside to have someone malicious send malformed print jobs to the machines (you've already seen evidence of port sniffers in action) or to pull information from them thanks to SNMP that could lead to a more advanced way of attacking or exfiltrating information from the machine, with the right commands even the address book is accessible via this protocol.

Re: Weird prints after doing portforward to printer.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    A VPN is going to be a better option than opening ports to the public internet. You've already opened enough to the outside to have someone malicious send malformed print jobs to the machines (you've already seen evidence of port sniffers in action) or to pull information from them thanks to SNMP that could lead to a more advanced way of attacking or exfiltrating information from the machine, with the right commands even the address book is accessible via this protocol.

Thanks - I'll try to convince them to put some hardware in between.

At the moment, the MFP, is the only thing connected to the router. No clients, servers, etc.

"ISP/Public IP" > "Linksys Router" > "Ricoh MFP"