ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

MP6055, jam won't clear

The customer removed a jam yesterday and it will not clear. The jam is j001. It shows at position 24, which is inverter. There is no obstruction there. When you go to input check, the sensor shows no paper there. I spent an hour on the phone with Ricoh, they seemed stumped. Ended up telling me to replace the sensor. On the way home I called hytec. The guy there made more sense. If the sensor actuates properly, the jam hasn't been electronically cleared. He said he gets boards from Ricohs that will not clear a jam, he puts them in his machine and clears the jam. He said sometime you have to clear it by opening certain doors and closing them together. Has anyone had an issue similar to this. I don't think it's a bad sensor. I did not think to check if the door actuators were working as I was focused on the jam.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Re: MP6055, jam won't clear

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    The customer removed a jam yesterday and it will not clear. The jam is j001. It shows at position 24, which is inverter. There is no obstruction there. When you go to input check, the sensor shows no paper there. I spent an hour on the phone with Ricoh, they seemed stumped. Ended up telling me to replace the sensor. On the way home I called hytec. The guy there made more sense. If the sensor actuates properly, the jam hasn't been electronically cleared. He said he gets boards from Ricohs that will not clear a jam, he puts them in his machine and clears the jam. He said sometime you have to clear it by opening certain doors and closing them together. Has anyone had an issue similar to this. I don't think it's a bad sensor. I did not think to check if the door actuators were working as I was focused on the jam.
    Have you tried a power cycle with ALL the doors open?
    Close them starting with the side doors first and the front cover last.

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post

I can't remember if I had the front and side doors open at the same time. Will try doors tomorrow.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    I can't remember if I had the front and side doors open at the same time. Will try doors tomorrow.
    Check the operation of the Transfer door as well.
    Our MPC4503 in Service Reception had broken part of the housing for the white door latches.
    It would close enough to not affect CQ but when you tried to open it to clear a jam it was getting stuck or not closing fully when the duplex door was closed and every now and then jams wouldn't reset.
    We swapped a transfer door from a doner machine and it came good...it was only when we took the door off that we found the plastic had snapped off.
    The transfer door on an MP6055 is almost identical.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post

X2.. ricohs like to have all of the doors opened and closed to clear out the jam code

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

could be that the door has 2 switches, a hard sw and a photo sw, one has actuated but not the other

To close this thread. I powered down and opened all the doors, powered up and closed the doors and still had the jam. I went into the sensor check and saw that the transfer unit was not showing open when I opened it. I found a can of air with about 2 blast in it, cleaned the photocell, powered down, opeded doors and this time the jam cleared. Thanks for the responses. By the way, Hytec gives really good tech support on most brands.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    MP6055, jam won't clear

Just to take this one step further, a bad doorswitch that won't show open won't let the jam clear. It's pretty common on the Toshibas that had the Sharp 73 photointerrupters. Just unplugging the PI for a second will clear the logic-lock condition and restore function (until the next time it happens). =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=