Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    General Scan to Email Question

When someone gets a scan from the machine, the "SMTP Auth. E-mail Address" winds up being the reply to address. Is there a way to make the reply address the users' actual email address, or is that a authentication can of worms?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: General Scan to Email Question

It's easiest to do this from the web interface of the machine. In the address book, you set the users as both recipients and senders in terms of email. The only issue is that you then have to make sure that the users update their email password every time they change it. Generally, it's best to have a generic email address that the MFP, or multiple MFP's use for scanning, that way there's only one password for either a key-op or IT to manage on the machine(s).

Technician

Once you select the destination you're emailing you can press the "Senders Name" below the list of destinations and select the user if it programmed.

Hope this helps

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    It's easiest to do this from the web interface of the machine. In the address book, you set the users as both recipients and senders in terms of email. The only issue is that you then have to make sure that the users update their email password every time they change it. Generally, it's best to have a generic email address that the MFP, or multiple MFP's use for scanning, that way there's only one password for either a key-op or IT to manage on the machine(s).
    That's what I've been doing. Just one generic email address. Where do you set them as recipients in WIM?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vickter200 View Post
    Once you select the destination you're emailing you can press the "Senders Name" below the list of destinations and select the user if it programmed.

Hope this helps
    Yes, I know that should be how it works, but ... have you tried replying to a scan? I had never tried until today. When I did (from different test users) the reply address was always the generic scanner email address. Is it not on yours? Maybe something is configured wrong... idk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tinfox View Post
    Yes, I know that should be how it works, but ... have you tried replying to a scan? I had never tried until today. When I did (from different test users) the reply address was always the generic scanner email address. Is it not on yours? Maybe something is configured wrong... idk
    I am not absolutely but I think the reply to address is going to be the address used to authenticate with the SMTP server.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I am not absolutely but I think the reply to address is going to be the address used to authenticate with the SMTP server.
    \

Yes, that exactly what I mean. So when someone hits reply it goes to the machine NOT the user? So whats the point of even having a sender button?

Technician

I tested it again just now. I emailed to an email not registered on my Ricoh applied the senders name with one registered. I received the email on Yahoo and was able to reply back to the senders name and not the device.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Ricoh devices use the email entered at the "Administrator Address" as the FROM when emailing. i have my Ricoh with scannerdonotreply@jkdhhdh.com and its a bogus email non working one.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tinfox View Post
    \

Yes, that exactly what I mean. So when someone hits reply it goes to the machine NOT the user? So whats the point of even having a sender button?
    Unless you are actually having to receive email at the MFP, all addresses setup should be for real people, including the SMTP authentication email and the administrator email.