Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Methedor's Avatar

[MP 402spf] Printer requesting Bypasstray paper

I had a client call in stating that when she sends a print it will print some, then request paper for the bypass tray. Putting paper into the tray will then have it pull from the bypass to finish the print job. Printing with Tray 1 specified returned a "You have a Paper Problem" message. Searching for this problem has yielded less than useful results. Reportedly it doesn't request this when copies are made. I am not too familiar with the MP 402spf or this particular issue, but it doesn't sound like a mechanical problem to me due to the internal print working fine. From what I recall from my initial install the machine should already be set to Auto Continue - Immediate.

I hope that some of you have encountered something similar. Google hasn't been too helpful this time around.
    Thank you all for the assistance.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: [MP 402spf] Printer requesting Bypasstray paper

MP 402 or virtually any other model makes no difference. A printer driver is a printer driver, and I am sure you have a driver issue of some sort.
    Sounds to me like someone has altered something in the default settings.
    First, in this case, the source tray should not be set to tray 1, because if it's a legal size document (for example), or even just slightly off-sized (8.3"x 11.7") as many (PDF)docs are, the machine will beep, and require intervention because the tray is set SPECIFICALLY for 8.5"x 11".
    The default settings in the printer driver should be Source:"auto select", and Paper Type: "plain and recycled".
    You could also simply try reinstalling the driver, or installing a different one (IE: PCL6 rather than PCL5 or vice versa)

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You might have a document formatting issue. If it asks for the bypass tray at the same point in the document every time, someone may have done a formatting change either in the middle of the page before or at the top of that page that requested paper from the bypass.

Try setting the printer paper tray default to "Driver command" rather than "Machine Setting".
    That will rule out an issue with the job itself and so long as the customer chooses the correct paper tray setting in the print job preferences it should print from the designated tray just fine.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You might have a document formatting issue. If it asks for the bypass tray at the same point in the document every time, someone may have done a formatting change either in the middle of the page before or at the top of that page that requested paper from the bypass.
    I just worked with a tech on this same issue. slimslob is correct....

Senior Tech 100+ Posts ridgemill's Avatar

If it is a Word document they are printing, make sure that Page Setup > Paper > Paper Source is set to Default tray.

Quote Originally Posted by Methedor View Post
    I had a client call in stating that when she sends a print it will print some, then request paper for the bypass tray. Putting paper into the tray will then have it pull from the bypass to finish the print job. Printing with Tray 1 specified returned a "You have a Paper Problem" message. Searching for this problem has yielded less than useful results. Reportedly it doesn't request this when copies are made. I am not too familiar with the MP 402spf or this particular issue, but it doesn't sound like a mechanical problem to me due to the internal print working fine. From what I recall from my initial install the machine should already be set to Auto Continue - Immediate.

I hope that some of you have encountered something similar. Google hasn't been too helpful this time around.
    Thank you all for the assistance.
    I had this issue recently, same model, intermittently would ask for paper in the bypass tray. Print same job again then it would be fine.

I locked the bypass tray.

Havent heard from them since!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Methedor's Avatar

Thank you all for the responses. I will convey this through the appropriate channels when I can.
    heh, I mistakenly assumed that the page-by-page would be uniform as I haven't observed mixed page-format before.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

If the machine is requesting paper from a specific tray, the customer has set the parameters of the document to ask for it. If you change a document properties in Adobe, Word, Excel, etc... it WILL override the print driver's default settings.

I literally had to swap a machine out at a customer's location, and set my laptop up on their network two months ago, to PROVE to them that the copier was not at fault... and that their end users weren't making the right selections.

This is where I most recently experienced a "PICNIC" error firsthand...

"Problem In Customer, Not In Copier"

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    Try setting the printer paper tray default to "Driver command" rather than "Machine Setting".
    That will rule out an issue with the job itself and so long as the customer chooses the correct paper tray setting in the print job preferences it should print from the designated tray just fine.
    the problem is that it IS using driver command. As Slim said... the properties of the pages/file have a page set for BYPASS tray.