Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    My customer dropped a bomb on me...Purchased a C5200s and wants me to service it!

My customer dropped a bomb on me...Purchased a C5200s and wants me to service it!

One of my customers announced to me they had purchased from one of their other offices a Pro C5200s.
    I have never laid eyes on one of these. Are they similar to any other Ricoh equipment or are they a separate design all together?
    I understand they are a "production" copier.

I guess the issue is they want me to service it. I'm pretty nervous about that. The largest of the Ricoh models I've worked on are the C5502's.
    I've been doing this 20+ years and I'm pretty sure I can figure out a good portion of it.
    Looked for manuals and parts availability and neither seem to be readily available.
    PR has toner but that's it.

Looks to me that they will be doing 20K to 30K a month using thick gloss paper, printing color flyers in letter and legal sizes. The gloss paper they use puts off so much paper dust that the 3 HP C551's they have now need me to come in and clean every 3 weeks or so. And it's always cleaning paper dust off rollers and feed belt waste sump. An they're good to go for 3 weeks until the feed tires clog with paper dust again.

Will they be better off with this C5200s and will I be able to service it? Are there any special skills needed to work on this unit?
    And are manuals available for purchase or download somewhere? And I guess Ricoh is the only source for parts at this time?

Thanks for looking this over. Anything helpful you can chime in with would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Jeff in STL

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Re: My customer dropped a bomb on me...Purchased a C5200s and wants me to service it!

dont take a contract on it and explain this unit is new to you.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: My customer dropped a bomb on me...Purchased a C5200s and wants me to service it!

I've only worked on a couple of these and it is a completely different beast if you've only worked on the C5502s. It is a " light " production model that should have come with a Fiery controller ( rip ) that you would probably need to service also. The machine itself is not difficult to work on ( except the fuser ) , but if you don't have the manuals I wouldn't do it. Can't answer your questions about the running of their paper and if they would be better off with the c5200 as I don't work on them regularly. Hopefully someone who does will chime in. Good luck.
    Totoro

Retired 10,000+ Posts

At 20 to 30 K a month this machine is right at the recommended monthly volume. The Pro C5200 series replaced the Pro C 5100 and was introduced about a year ago. The C5100 was the production version of the MP C6502.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

Avoid this, I would if possible.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The two most important questions I would say are

1. Is the Customer prepared to have the Pro C5200 regularly serviced and understands the importance of this for devices like this?

2. What condition does the device seem to be in, was it transported with care, has it had, if it needs it, the Paper tray rail modification? Has the previous service company actually serviced it?

The Pro C5200 is a good device, but like any high volume machine, it needs to be used correctly and get regular TLC.

One last thing you mentioned parts and manuals but you didn't mention firmware and that is vital on all newer models like this.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

It's a souped up MP C6502 / 8002 which are great boxes but you have to know what you are doing with them. Unless you have a lot of experience with the 6502 range and access to back up then discretion might be the better part of valour and politely decline.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

You will learn a lot, but it is possible you will get a bad name and loose the customer.
    If you need to order a part and it's the wrong one, then another day goes by (and perhaps again another)...
    With 30K every month 2 days out is not good
    If you do it, then not on contract.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

I look after a couple of these & they are a good reliable machine, however they are nothing like any other Ricoh, I went on a course before I started to work on them & if possible I would suggest you do that too.

The main bit of advice I would give you is pay attention to the PM counts never let then run over, say when the K PCDU needs maintenance replace all parts in the PM list.

As mentioned above the fuser is a major item to work on, would take half a day to replace belts etc.

Do you know what the counters are on your machine?

Here's the service manual it will get you started!

https://mega.nz/#!9N1DiKoC!jrH7sHxaI...NtJUtYyVvXUR0M
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technician

Hello, i need that service manual too but the link doenst work anymore.