Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MPc5502a SPDF jamming

Re: MPc5502a SPDF jamming

Quote Originally Posted by Hadster View Post
    Replaced three things..... Steel Feed shaft(has all the feed components on it), one way feed roller(white one) and one way feed drive shaft. So far so good!
    Pretty common issue in heavily used adf's in my experience. But you eliminated that as a suggestion with your original post, because you said that you replaced the entire feeder and it did the same thing, and then later that you'd tried the same thing on another machine with no results.
    Are we to assume that the DF's that you swapped had the exact SAME issue?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MPc5502a SPDF jamming

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Pretty common issue in heavily used adf's in my experience. But you eliminated that as a suggestion with your original post, because you said that you replaced the entire feeder and it did the same thing, and then later that you'd tried the same thing on another machine with no results.
    Are we to assume that the DF's that you swapped had the exact SAME issue?
    Oops! I forgot this is what I'm installing when I run into this for regular jamming. However, for this issue the problem turned out to be the 100yr old house it was in that was causing the intermittent jamming. Installed Smart Power Regulator to resolve. I don't know why i didn't think of it sooner. It's been running perfectly since.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I found that the plastic guide plate bows slightly upwards (red arrow direction). You can see a fair amount of bowing/springyness when pushing down with your finger at that point. This results in the metal strip at the base of that separation rubber to be a higher level than plate A, and the paper catching the metal strip sometimes, resulting in exactly the situation in the OP's photo. To test this I placed a couple of paper wedges at the points of the green arrows to push the guide plate downwards, and no jams there whatsoever. The only thing is at the point (black arrow) where the guide plate then contacts the separation roller and torque limiter (especially that little plug at the side of the limiter), I had to file down a bit to maintain a gap, beware of that, but it seemed to work. Is it a different type of plastic on those guide plates/DF's that warps easier, should there be another screw to hold it down at that point, is that a part that needs replacing ?, I don't know, but that explains the fold on the paper at the point and subsequent jams. I hope this helps.

guide plate.jpg
    Last edited by andy227; 03-02-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MPc5502a SPDF jamming

Replaced three things..... Steel Feed shaft(has all the feed components on it), one-way feed roller(white one) and one-way feed drive shaft. So far so good!
    Just to be clear on the parts I installed = B477-2191, D412-1622, and A806-1293.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MPc5502a SPDF jamming

Just to be clear on the parts I installed = B477-2191, D412-1622, and A806-1293.
    What is the product code of the document feeder? Or the model number of the Document feeder?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

the model number of the Document feeder?
    D543

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MPc5502a SPDF jamming

Quote Originally Posted by andy227 View Post
    D543
    Yup!

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts
    MPc5502a SPDF jamming

Quote Originally Posted by andy227 View Post
    I found that the plastic guide plate bows slightly upwards (red arrow direction). You can see a fair amount of bowing/springyness when pushing down with your finger at that point. This results in the metal strip at the base of that separation rubber to be a higher level than plate A, and the paper catching the metal strip sometimes, resulting in exactly the situation in the OP's photo. To test this I placed a couple of paper wedges at the points of the green arrows to push the guide plate downwards, and no jams there whatsoever. The only thing is at the point (black arrow) where the guide plate then contacts the separation roller and torque limiter (especially that little plug at the side of the limiter), I had to file down a bit to maintain a gap, beware of that, but it seemed to work. Is it a different type of plastic on those guide plates/DF's that warps easier, should there be another screw to hold it down at that point, is that a part that needs replacing ?, I don't know, but that explains the fold on the paper at the point and subsequent jams. I hope this helps.

guide plate.jpg
    Good tip..........had the same issue a couple of days ago with the sep roller indentations on the jammed original, which we resolved replacing the feed belt and sep roller as a set. If the customer calls back with that same jamming issue--and those distinct sep roller indentations-------I'll bet the plastic guide plate warp will be the issue.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com