Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Early Plain Paper Fax Ricoh (used image belt)

I once owned a used Ricoh facsimile machine back in the early 1990s. I bought it from the local (now defunct) computer equipment graveyard.

The model number escapes me. I remember that it used a plastic or possibly Mylar photo receptor belt. It had two gas filled exposure lamps. I seem to remember they emitted a green glow. I remember at the time that one replacement exposure lamp was in excess of $200.00

It was a rectangular box, all metal, very heavy obviously. It had a single paper tray on the side, and could also sit on a stand with additional paper trays. The paper was fed from underneath near the middle of the unit. There was a vertical slot in the bottom of the unit.

I suspect it was a bit older than the early 1990s.

Does anyone recall such a beast?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Early Plain Paper Fax Ricoh (used image belt)

Quote Originally Posted by monarke4 View Post
    I once owned a used Ricoh facsimile machine back in the early 1990s. I bought it from the local (now defunct) computer equipment graveyard.

The model number escapes me. I remember that it used a plastic or possibly Mylar photo receptor belt. It had two gas filled exposure lamps. I seem to remember they emitted a green glow. I remember at the time that one replacement exposure lamp was in excess of $200.00

It was a rectangular box, all metal, very heavy obviously. It had a single paper tray on the side, and could also sit on a stand with additional paper trays. The paper was fed from underneath near the middle of the unit. There was a vertical slot in the bottom of the unit.

Not me, but why?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Not me, but why?
    maybe he wants to sell us all some used $200 exposure lamps..
    I did a lot of those ricohs after starting with the early sharp faxes then panafax and then
    Ricoh 4200s and 5600s that used a master as i recall.
    They worked but talk about user options,it would take me an afternoon to go thru...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Not me, but why?
    I was hoping to find a model number in order to research an image...reminiscing I guess.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    maybe he wants to sell us all some used $200 exposure lamps..
    I did a lot of those ricohs after starting with the early sharp faxes then panafax and then
    Ricoh 4200s and 5600s that used a master as i recall.
    They worked but talk about user options,it would take me an afternoon to go thru...
    No Ricoh parts to sell. Only one Ricoh in this home office now and it's not young either.

2020 Retired 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monarke4 View Post

The Ricoh 1000L was the earliest plain paper fascimile machine that I was trained on but I really don't remember much about it.
    Oh wait!! I remember that I hated working on them.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The only FAX machine that I have ever seen that used a thermal transfer film was made by Epson or SHarp.

2020 Retired 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The only FAX machine that I have ever seen that used a thermal transfer film was made by Epson or SHarp.
    Well he didn't say anything about a ribbon and since I was trained in Ottawa in 1988 on Ricoh thermal fax machines and in Toronto in 1992 on Ricoh plain paper fax machines, I guess you will have to trust my memory.

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

I remember we call photocopiers in the 90s "xerox". Doesn't matter which brand it is, we call it "xerox".

Well ten years later, i didn't even know that i would make a living fixing those "xerox" machines.
    Aye! Cut the crap

2020 Retired 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keithxxiii View Post
    I remember we call photocopiers in the 90s "xerox". Doesn't matter which brand it is, we call it "xerox".

Well ten years later, i didn't even know that i would make a living fixing those "xerox" machines.
    Well in 1976 I worked in a Datsun dealership in the parts department. I moved up from the garage floor from being an apprentice mechanic.
    When the copier technician paid a visit he was driving a Ferrari but what I didn't know at the time was that he was driving his bosses car.

In 1977 I took a new job as a copier technician. No more dirty smelly tasks for me. Boy did I ever get a shock.

Fast forward to 2018 and I'm driving a 2009 Tacoma SR5 4X4 which I bought brand new and still love after 285K.

I'm at my wits end with free phone support for scanner problems and I'm looking forward to retirement at the end of 2019.