Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MP 3353 Fax issues - No dial tone on hook, pulsing noise when calling fax line

As the title suggests. Sounds like a noisy fax line issue but I'm not sure which SP settings can solve this. By no means am I fax expert.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Re: MP 3353 Fax issues - No dial tone on hook, pulsing noise when calling fax line

What happens when you plug a phone I not the line that the fax is on?

Sometimes lightning kills fax boards and they exhibit weird problems afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Press the GREEN button!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: MP 3353 Fax issues - No dial tone on hook, pulsing noise when calling fax line

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    What happens when you plug a phone I not the line that the fax is on?

Sometimes lightning kills fax boards and they exhibit weird problems afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Interestingly I was shown a Neopost machine using the same line since it's split and it works. If that's the case there can only be one conclusion.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
    Interestingly I was shown a Neopost machine using the same line since it's split and it works. If that's the case there can only be one conclusion.
    I'm not sure there can only be one conclusion.....
    When you say that it's 'pulsing' when you call it, does that mean with the fax connected? What does the line sound like with it disconnected? If it still sounds that way, it's definitely a line issue.
    I have an old, wired push button telephone with me for just such special occasions as Polarbear suggested. If you don't have one available, you can always just disconnect a handset from the customers phone system and connect it to the jack, and again, if it's not a nice strong dial tone, it's a line issue
    I'm not a 'Neopost Expert", so I'm not sure if it requires the same crystal clear dial tone and connection that a fax does, but I sort of doubt it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
    But did you plug into the same jack?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    But did you plug into the same jack?
    Yeah. I even used an entirely different phone line that was brand new with a ferrite core stuck on it for what that's worth.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I'm not sure there can only be one conclusion.....
    When you say that it's 'pulsing' when you call it, does that mean with the fax connected? What does the line sound like with it disconnected? If it still sounds that way, it's definitely a line issue.
    I have an old, wired push button telephone with me for just such special occasions as Polarbear suggested. If you don't have one available, you can always just disconnect a handset from the customers phone system and connect it to the jack, and again, if it's not a nice strong dial tone, it's a line issue
    I'm not a 'Neopost Expert", so I'm not sure if it requires the same crystal clear dial tone and connection that a fax does, but I sort of doubt it.
    When the machine is being faxed to so the sound the fax unit is outputting. In the background it sounds like the sound a pulse dial machine makes when ringing almost. Other than that it's the same characteristic set of tones you'd expect a fax to receive when it is receiving.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

I can't recall the exact SP settings.

If the line is a standard phone line then, check the fax SP settings for "Pulse" or "DTMF"

Reset the fax SP settings by doing a fax SP clear.
    See if you can print out all faxes in memory first and then
    clear all pending faxes in Memory by doing a Fax clear in SP mode.

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

this isn't a digital line is it? if it is .. you will have to slow down Baud rate... turn off ECM

By no means am I a fax expert but I do remember having a few stange issues do the with the ricoh faxes,it was got to do with the fax cable Beening a 4 core cable,were having to snip the 2 outer wires on the cable and put a new fax connector on it to get the fax to work,