Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Connectivity issues with random PCs,both print and scan

Connectivity issues with random PCs,both print and
    scan

Greetings
    I had an odd day yesterday when i delivered a MPC 401SR wth a SOP panel and hard wired the machine to a
    wall jack. Customer is using same dell pcs with window 7 64 bit to windows 10 64bit..
    I did not do any SOP set up or anything wireless.
    They have 4 pcs by pcs across each other,"8" and another 6 in 2 other offices.
    I set up manually the pcl 6 driver by using the ip i gave the machine and install my scan to pdf program and twain driver and the first 3
    work perfect..
    I hit the 4th and install eveything the same and test print fails to print nor scan.
    I ping the address and no replies and then try WIM with the address and no reply...ODD..
    Looking at this PCs address it is in the same 192.168.1 range as the others and they can go into any browser,chrome,firefox or IE.and no issues.
    I proceed to the next few and it seems I hit the same snag on 2 others..

I had no time to mess wth the ones that didnt respond as i was a 3 hour meter with a 30 minute subway ride back to my van and already only had
    a 15 minutes window in case i ran late.

SO going back monday i want to bring a 5 port switch and take the n cable from a working machine and split it to try the non working machines..
    I didnt see any different antivirus or security on the non responsive ones..
    Any feedback appreciated

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Connectivity issues with random PCs,both print and scan

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    Connectivity issues with random PCs,both print and
    scan

Greetings
    I had an odd day yesterday when i delivered a MPC 401SR wth a SOP panel and hard wired the machine to a
    wall jack. Customer is using same dell pcs with window 7 64 bit to windows 10 64bit..
    I did not do any SOP set up or anything wireless.
    They have 4 pcs by pcs across each other,"8" and another 6 in 2 other offices.
    I set up manually the pcl 6 driver by using the ip i gave the machine and install my scan to pdf program and twain driver and the first 3
    work perfect..
    I hit the 4th and install eveything the same and test print fails to print nor scan.
    I ping the address and no replies and then try WIM with the address and no reply...ODD..
    Looking at this PCs address it is in the same 192.168.1 range as the others and they can go into any browser,chrome,firefox or IE.and no issues.
    I proceed to the next few and it seems I hit the same snag on 2 others
    I had no time to mess wth the ones that didnt respond as i was a 3 hour meter with a 30 minute subway ride back to my van and already only had
    a 15 minutes window in case i ran late.

SO going back monday i want to bring a 5 port switch and take the n cable from a working machine and split it to try the non working machines..
    I didnt see any different antivirus or security on the non responsive ones..
    Any feedback appreciated
    It sounds like the ones not connecting are on a different network. Can you see the other computers on the network ? ping the other computers ?
    I once had the same problem, turned out that computer was on a neighboring network wireless connection. It is a common gateway 192.168.1.1

thanks.
    I was in rush mode so i just connected the ones that worked and passed the ones that would stall on test page print and
    testing scanning..In command prompt "ipconfig".
    The non responsive ones all seem to ;look good" 192.168.1.random for last. they might be on a different hub..MY
    experience is not IT but I try to go the extra step...Its just odd as these are PCs side by side.....
    I am going back monday wth 5 port switch and some patch cables...

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

could it be an active VPN connection that messes it up?
    Aye! Cut the crap

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    It sounds like the ones not connecting are on a different network. Can you see the other computers on the network ? ping the other computers ?
    I once had the same problem, turned out that computer was on a neighboring network wireless connection. It is a common gateway 192.168.1.1

agreed.. have seen that sitrep in accounting and sales areas if there are more than one branch/company handled by that user. Suggest doing a windows test page from PC's .. that should show: IP Addy - PC name.. then ..do ipconfig/all. PING those IP's... results ?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Did the 401 you're installing replace another printer? if so look at how the drivers were installed.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

I was on a tight clock when i got there and they kinda pulled a "we forget to tell you we just hired 6 law grads to sit at these PCs
    that were not used before this.
    I am dealing with an office where no one knows anything "tech" and the only gut that did moved west months back.
    All these are small dell towers hARD connected and not wireless..
    I am dropping there after lunchtime..
    thanks