Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh Fax5510L VOIP Woes

Ricoh Fax5510L VOIP Woes

When we had ATT U-verse it worked perfectly with no changes to the way the machine operated. Now with Sonic.net it's turned into a headache.

This machine has Line 1 and Line 2 modem cards. I reduced the modem speed to what the Grandstream HT801 ATA maximum allowable Fax Speed (14,400kbps) for both TX and RX.

I then had success dialing from one line to the other (VOIP "Sonic.net" line to the ATT POTS line) via the Central Office about 1.2 miles away (2.4 miles round trip). A single page at Extra Super Fine (600dpi).

Next I tried a further distance. From my home near El Segundo to Pasadena where my EA lives, approximately 26 miles. No go. It dials, the other end answers, and seems to negotiate correctly.

On the 5510's display is shown A4 > A4, P.1 and the receiving phone number. In a about 30 seconds or so it disconnects and the page is not sent. Print the journal and it reveals an ECM error.

I saw copyaction's notes and thought they might adapt but it doesn't seem to fit in the same way for this model, or I'm trying this when I'm just too tired to think correctly.

Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh Fax5510L VOIP Woes

Use Ricoh's recommended VOIP settings to slow things down, this is all you can do.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Fax5510L VOIP Woes

Quote Originally Posted by monarke4 View Post
    When we had ATT U-verse it worked perfectly with no changes to the way the machine operated. Now with Sonic.net it's turned into a headache.
    This machine has Line 1 and Line 2 modem cards. I reduced the modem speed to what the Grandstream HT801 ATA maximum allowable Fax Speed (14,400kbps) for both TX and RX.
    I then had success dialing from one line to the other (VOIP "Sonic.net" line to the ATT POTS line) via the Central Office about 1.2 miles away (2.4 miles round trip). A single page at Extra Super Fine (600dpi).
    Next I tried a further distance. From my home near El Segundo to Pasadena where my EA lives, approximately 26 miles. No go. It dials, the other end answers, and seems to negotiate correctly.
    On the 5510's display is shown A4 > A4, P.1 and the receiving phone number. In a about 30 seconds or so it disconnects and the page is not sent. Print the journal and it reveals an ECM error.
    I saw copyaction's notes and thought they might adapt but it doesn't seem to fit in the same way for this model, or I'm trying this when I'm just too tired to think correctly.
    Thanks
    ANY VOIP I have EVER setup on ANY brand.. needs speed set @ 9600 baud... ecm OFF and depending on that model, there are other settings required. Follow setup rules for that model. Do they have a DLS modem splitter on it?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh Fax5510L VOIP Woes

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    ANY VOIP I have EVER setup on ANY brand.. needs speed set @ 9600 baud... ecm OFF and depending on that model, there are other settings required. Follow setup rules for that model. Do they have a DLS modem splitter on it?
    You threw me for a loop there as I read DLS modem splitter. I suppose you mean DSL band filter?

The Ricoh 5510L has it's own extensions on a Panasonic PABX (KX-TA824). There is a DSL splitter at the CO connection before entering the PABX.

The Ricoh 5510L Service Manual only seems to mention FAX over IP and not actually VOIP over dial-up.

I have sent a message to Ricoh support. Hopefully there won't be too much hysterical laughter on their part.
    Last edited by monarke4; 11-11-2018 at 05:34 AM.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Fax5510L VOIP Woes

... I have sent a message to Ricoh support. Hopefully there won't be too much hysterical laughter on their part.
    Good luck with that. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Try these settings.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ricoh Fax5510L VOIP Woes

You threw me for a loop there as I read DLS modem splitter. I suppose you mean DSL band filter?
    yes a typo Digital Subscriber Line filter

Ricoh Fax5510L VOIP Woes

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    Try these settings.
    wouldn't those setting be dependant on Country of Origin? OP is in USA you are in AU

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Email your local Teleco for their FOLD's test (Fax On Line Diagnostics) check.

Ensure the telephone DSL line filter in situ...

1. Send a test fax to the above FOLD's telephone number.

2. Look over the FOLD's return test fax for the TX and RX line attenuation settings.

3. Adjust Ricoh MFD SP fax attenuation settings in service mode to suit the physical line condition.

Repeat steps 1..3 above until the line attenuation is at optimal Eg. Good to Excellent.

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

If using VOIP you are not using the phone line.