Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Ricoh mp2501: Network card(led off) and usb port dont work

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    I have noticed that a vacuum cleaner can destroy (at least) sensors (static electricity).
    Could that have been the case?
    Yep!.... So will moving the machine along new carpet to another office.
    I've seen a 10-15mm spark jump from the fax an network cable onto the machine when plugged back in.
    It totally fragged the comms board with static highs.

I've seen a vacuum cleaner blow toner sensors in Kyo PCU's.

Where practical, always leave the MFD plugged in but turned off, if vacuuming. Always use a grounded/earth vacuum cleaner. If you're getting static shocks from your vac machine, you need to fix the ground/earth in the suction tube.

Never use an air compressor to dust out an MFD,Cash register,PC Motherboards without the machine being plugged in but turned off. The machine requires the static be discharged to ground.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    I have noticed that a vacuum cleaner can destroy (at least) sensors (static electricity).
    Could that have been the case?

hi,I use the mitic-super-classic vacuum cleaner for photocopying maintenance (atric omega supreme), with antistatic tongue, the controller card is very far from where I aspired, and then I do it routine, after a few thousand vacuum machines, zero problems, I care reiterate that when I went away everything worked, the day after the problem was manifested, we see that it was already burning, the suction lasted a few seconds because the machine was quite clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    hi,I use the mitic-super-classic vacuum cleaner for photocopying maintenance (atric omega supreme), with antistatic tongue, the controller card is very far from where I aspired, and then I do it routine, after a few thousand vacuum machines, zero problems, I care reiterate that when I went away everything worked, the day after the problem was manifested, we see that it was already burning, the suction lasted a few seconds because the machine was quite clean.
    Possibly it is a static generated when toner is sucked by V C although it has antistatic nozzle.

Luca72 - I am bit confused about the fuses, actually its rating. It shows 5A 250V. We all know network or any other board (except power boards) consumes very little electricity. I suggest you should check on any other working card to confirm the ratings, next time except fuses something else may blow up. Also you are not sure why fuses are blown in the first place.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by AjitN View Post
    Possibly it is a static generated when toner is sucked by V C although it has antistatic nozzle.

Luca72 - I am bit confused about the fuses, actually its rating. It shows 5A 250V. We all know network or any other board (except power boards) consumes very little electricity. I suggest you should check on any other working card to confirm the ratings, next time except fuses something else may blow up. Also you are not sure why fuses are blown in the first place.
    Hope this helps

hi, thanks for the advice, but the machine is already three days that was returned to the customer, I think it's just a problem related to the electronics of the first series of controller cards of the 2501 ... I just sucked the front door, and that's it

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

hi, thanks for the advice, but the machine is already three days that was returned to the customer, I think it's just a problem related to the electronics of the first series of controller cards of the 2501 ... I just sucked the front door, and that's it
    What I meant was 5A, 250V is a very high rating for any card. Fuses are provided on board to protect damage to expensive / critical components.
    Aim is fuse should blow before any such components blows. Right now machine may be working ok. but in general you should check the correct ratings.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh mp2501: Network card(led off) and usb port dont work

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Yep!.... So will moving the machine along new carpet to another office.
    I've seen a 10-15mm spark jump from the fax an network cable onto the machine when plugged back in.
    It totally fragged the comms board with static highs.
    I've seen a vacuum cleaner blow toner sensors in Kyo PCU's.
    Where practical, always leave the MFD plugged in but turned off, if vacuuming. Always use a grounded/earth vacuum cleaner. If you're getting static shocks from your vac machine, you need to fix the ground/earth in the suction tube.
    Never use an air compressor to dust out an MFD,Cash register,PC Motherboards without the machine being plugged in but turned off. The machine requires the static be discharged to ground.
    that's what most newbie's only follow the book on and have no real knowledge of electrical current theory. The manuals tell you to REMOVE the AC cord from the wall.. fine! where does the ground go then? hmm a way to sell more boards? or just design engineers (puke) not being in the "real world"
    Thanks Sir for making those points clear....

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    that's what most newbie's only follow the book on and have no real knowledge of electrical current theory. The manuals tell you to REMOVE the AC cord from the wall.. fine! where does the ground go then? hmm a way to sell more boards? or just design engineers (puke) not being in the "real world"
    Thanks Sir for making those points clear....
    I had a university professor ask a question about a dynamic fault with his new PC.
    Back in the day we had CRT screens. If you picked up your CRT screen while wearing woollen or nylon clothing,
    your body can store upwards of 40KVolt of static. Grab hold of your PC RAM chips and hardware without earthing
    yourself and you could have yourself a problem.

The Uni professor ask me why do you think I have these intermittent faults with my PC, how can I fix the problem?
    I said you need to go out side and place the water sprinkler next to your house electrical earth stake.
    The Uni prof was a bit bewildered, he said I'm not sure I follow you, I believe your having a go at me

I said to the prof. "The problem could be static build up in/around the desktop and PC."
    Static highs could be resetting your PC or Ram chips causing your dynamic fault."
    The reason the static highs persist is because there is no earth to ground to remove static from your PC.
    The reason the static is not going to ground is because there is no earth stake conduction in your building.
    The reason the earth stake might not be conducting is because of all the hot dry weather we have experienced over the last few years.
    The ground around the earth stake has become dried out/resistive and no longer conducting to earth.
    Go out side an place the water sprinkler next to your building earth stake to wet the ground and make the earth stake conductive.
    A working electrical earth stake should remove the static from your PC and benchtop. The problems with your PC might abate.

I never heard back from the professor, nor did he mention any thing about it during his electrical hardware lectures.
    Probably a personal pride thingy on his part....

true story....
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 12-02-2018 at 11:15 PM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    I had a university professor ask a question about a dynamic fault with his new PC.
    Back in the day we had CRT screens. If you picked up your CRT screen while wearing woollen or nylon clothing,
    your body can store upwards of 40KVolt of static. Grab hold of your PC RAM chips and hardware without earthing
    yourself and you could have yourself a problem.

The Uni professor ask me why do you think I have these intermittent faults with my PC, how can I fix the problem?
    I said you need to go out side and place the water sprinkler next to your house electrical earth stake.
    The Uni prof was a bit bewildered, he said I'm not sure I follow you, I believe your having a go at me

I said to the prof. "The problem could be static build up in/around the desktop and PC."
    Static highs could be resetting your PC or Ram chips causing your dynamic fault."
    The reason the static highs persist is because there is no earth to ground to remove static from your PC.
    The reason the static is not going to ground is because there is no earth stake conduction in your building.
    The reason the earth stake might not be conducting is because of all the hot dry weather we have experienced over the last few years.
    The ground around the earth stake has become dried out/resistive and no longer conducting to earth.
    Go out side an place the water sprinkler next to your building earth stake to wet the ground and make the earth stake conductive.
    A working electrical earth stake should remove the static from your PC and benchtop. The problems with your PC might abate.

I never heard back from the professor, nor did he mention any thing about it during his electrical hardware lectures.
    Probably a personal pride thingy on his part....

true story....
    very interesting the question, that's probably why my home teathre system clean it and after a week is constantly covered with a thin layer of uniform pulverisk, it could be because in my electrical system I do not have grounding(?), and the big transformers of the system of amplification create a pulling effect for the dust and load the metallic chassi as the magnetic roller of the unit of development with the toner .... I had thought because when I watch the movies smoke and I drink beer heavily and the smoke dust condensed in the air was deposited on the devices....LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh mp2501: Network card(led off) and usb port dont work

very interesting the question, that's probably why my home teathre system clean it and after a week is constantly covered with a thin layer of uniform pulverisk, it could be because in my electrical system I do not have grounding(?), and the big transformers of the system of amplification create a pulling effect for the dust and load the metallic chassi as the magnetic roller of the unit of development with the toner .... I had thought because when I watch the movies smoke and I drink beer heavily and the smoke dust condensed in the air was deposited on the devices....LOL
    What did you clean it with? You may have caused a static buildup or chemical layer. The best thing to use is a soft cotton cloth or lint free paper towel moistened with water only.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    What did you clean it with? You may have caused a static buildup or chemical layer. The best thing to use is a soft cotton cloth or lint free paper towel moistened with water only.

I usually use the vacuum cleaner (the domestic one) with the soft brush attached, but after 3 days we systematically begin to deposit this layer, slow but steady, to create as a snow effect (lol), I never use detergents on these devices to avoid damaging the surfaces and the writing, at most a damp cotton strip with a drop of neutral soap for hands, but once a year. I'd like to have that powder analyzed to understand what it's made of, it's really disturbing! ok, I live in town, and certainly there is a lot of smog, but my neighbors do not have this problem, it looks like alien dust ... LOL, even in the box I have this powder, I thought the red marboro (?)