Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ricoh MPC2000/MPC2500 streaks on prints driving me crazy!

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I have searched and searched for an answer to my exact issue but everyone seems to experience different streaks to me, so here goes...

I have two Ricoh machines, an MPC2000 and an MPC2500. I run and service them myself as best I can. I have had entire units apart to rebuild them and learn how they work, so not afraid if that's what I need to do again.

I am finding that my colour prints (not copies, nothing to do with scanner) will print the first 6 or 7 copies nicely, and then I start to keep annoying streaks appearing on subsequent prints. The streaks are usually near the extreme left and right edges of the paper path. They are sometimes clearly made of one colour, or two colours mixed, other times they look black but upon close inspection they are made of the different colours on top of each other. If I stop printing, wait until the printer has finished its cycling and then start again, I get good prints for the first 6 or 7, and the streaks start to appear again.

I have cleaned and cleaned everything. The charge rollers are not getting dirty. The PCUs do not have any obvious banding around them which would be causing this. The transfer belts on both machines don't have any major scuffs, scratches or abrasions that I would expect to cause a problem. I just cannot get to the bottom of it. I see different colours forming the streaks at different times, but in the same place. It's not that I get a random streak of cyan in one area, then another streak of magenta, etc. The streaks appear in the same areas and patterns and the different colours will seemingly "adhere" to the same streaky lines once they start to appear.

I am fed up of it It happens on both my machines, so surely it must be happening to others as well, or at least someone must recognise it. I print quite a bit of high coverage stuff but the PCU blades seem to be doing their job, and there are no nicks or cuts or build-up areas on any of the PCU or or ITB cleaning unit blades. They aren't brand new, but they seem to be in good condition. All lube wax bars are present and none are exhausted. There is not a build-up of waste toner in any of the drum reservoirs.

All the developers seem to be fine and if it was a developer issue, I don't see how the streaks would appear composed of the different colours and always in the same places.

The transfer roller seems to pick up the lines of streaks, presumably as they are forming on the ITB and transferring during the gaps between sheets.

Strangely I don't seem to get the problem at all when I print black and white documents.

I really hope someone will see my photos and recognise what is happening so that I can replace whatever needs replacing. I don't see anything in the service manual or Goose's Guide or anywhere else that is my exact streak problem... Please help!!

IMG_20181123_214653.jpgIMG_20181123_221214.jpgIMG_20181123_221305.jpgIMG_20181123_221836.jpgIMG_20181123_221852.jpgIMG_20181123_221345.jpgIMG_20181123_221357.jpg

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Ricoh MPC2000/MPC2500 streaks on prints driving me crazy!

Charge rollers in the PCUs...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

How to search CTN.

Type the below into google:

site:wwww.copytechnet.com MPC charge roller

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Charge rollers in the PCUs...
    Not the charge rollers, as I said they are clean and always stay very clean. I have cleaned them and changed them anyway. They pick nothing up, no toner, no rings or streaks around them.

That wouldn't explain why different colours form streaks in the same place... if it was the charge rollers I would see lines of individual colours wouldn't I?

Thanks for your help though

I'm on the run doing other things ATM....

Do the bands enlarge and reduce in size when copying zoom/reducing ?

I'm on the run doing other things ATM....

Do the bands enlarge and reduce in size when copying zoom/reducing ?
    No, I rarely copy and mostly print.

You've used the cleaning wand to clean all the slit glasses.
    Your drums are current.
    OEM toner.

You've done a proper colour calibration (music sensors)...

You've used the cleaning wand to clean all the slit glasses.
    Your drums are current.
    OEM toner.

You've done a proper colour calibration (music sensors)...
    Yes to all except the drums.

I would suspect the PCUs as well. The drum cleaning blade may be worn enough to let toner by. How many pages are on them?

Quote Originally Posted by tufbnme View Post
    I would suspect the PCUs as well. The drum cleaning blade may be worn enough to let toner by. How many pages are on them?
    I don't know the pages I'm afraid.

Do you think the blades would show any signs of this on inspection? I have never found even a nick on any of them but will entertain any suggestions that I am not certain about

The belt is at about half it's life. Do you think it or the cleaning unit could be the cause, or would it have to come from the PCUs? I'm just not convinced... those black streaks are actually magenta cyan and sometimes a bit of yellow mixed. Why would streaks from individual PCUs fall in the same place on top of each other so perfectly like that?