Trusted Tech 50+ Posts engineers's Avatar

Firmware to allow remote into Smart panel

Hi,
    This will probably sound ludicrous to some of you but I have only ever known 1 way to do firmware and that is downloading them one by one and putting in romdata folder on sd card etc
    It has always been the way I have done it as it was the only way I was shown. The previous manager did used to update via @remote but only on rare occasions if they were very far away.
    I am installing MPC 5504ex ASP tomorrow which will have certain software installed by Ricoh PS team. They need this new firmware installed so they can remote into the op panel and clone the software from 1 machine to 5 other machines being installed later. I followed the 'mini build book' and done everything required so far but now I have 3 files left to update (xxx_forEDC) and I have absolutely no idea how to install them. The copier cannot see them on sd card in back of machine and I even tried via op panel same as cheetah firmware but it just aborts the install straight away so im guessing that was a bad idea. I haven't updated these EDC zipped files before, what am I missing?
    As you can tell my training was not that extensive. I would also prefer not to install these machines on @remote as we stopped using that service a year ago and moved on to a more reliable one.
    Can anyone help me I shouldn't even be here working on a sunday!
    Thanks

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Firmware to allow remote into Smart panel

Re: Firmware to allow remote into Smart panel

Quote Originally Posted by engineers View Post
    I haven't updated these EDC zipped files before, what am I missing?
    I have not done EDC updates before, but I think the operative term here is zipped. You might need to extract the zipped files to a folder and then check for any text file that might be instructions.

This is same person here just on a different account.
    I have tried within romdata folder - Putting zipped folder in, unzipping the files and putting all folders in, extracting the files out of the main folder and putting that in. Each time when the screen loads the firmware none of them show. The text files only show what updates have happened in v1.1 and 1.2 etc with no instructions.
    Also tried removing all folders from sd card and just putting the edc folder on root of card, once again as zipped, unzipped and so on.
    All in all I tried about 7 different variations of putting folders/files in different places all to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    This is same person here just on a different account.
    I have tried within romdata folder - Putting zipped folder in, unzipping the files and putting all folders in, extracting the files out of the main folder and putting that in. Each time when the screen loads the firmware none of them show. The text files only show what updates have happened in v1.1 and 1.2 etc with no instructions.
    Also tried removing all folders from sd card and just putting the edc folder on root of card, once again as zipped, unzipped and so on.
    All in all I tried about 7 different variations of putting folders/files in different places all to no avail.
    This is from the panel service manual for creating the sd card and the procedure on updating the remote access app.
    PANEL.JPG

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

I haven't worked on Ricoh gear in ages.

Heres a batch file to unzip firmware files to a Romdata directory on an SD-Card. It may still have some relevant use for Ricoh. The batch file allows for multiple Romdata directories on a single SD-Card. In case you don't wish to overwrite other previous firmware versions.

You may modify the batch file to suite your requirements.

All in one I.T. Tech software.

hhttp://www.copytechnet.com/forums/connectivity/97276-all-one-i-t-tech-software.html#post713429

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

What are the EDC files called? Sounds like they are apps and possibly the Java.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

EDC files are apps and need installing through panel service mode. Get into it using the same mode as SP modes but with ##C at the end instead of just C. Then to go apps, install and select the updates. You'll need to put the apps in zip format on your SD card in a folder called "app". Make sure there is nothing else on the card.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Thank you TonerMunkeh that was all I had to do! I tried so many different ways and to be fair I wasn't even close. Didn't know they had to go in an app folder and the sd card be empty. Now I know I can sail through all the other machines that need to be done