Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    SC672-12 on MP C401

SC672-12 on MP C401

Happy Friday all!
    I recently installed this refurbished MP C401 that began giving me difficulties right away, despite me testing it thoroughly before delivery.
    It went into SC672 (Not sure of the sub-code) sometime during setup, and then the touch screen (NOP) was also becoming unresponsive almost immediately.
    I fooled around a bit and ended up swapping the HDD which for whatever reason seemed to stop the screen from freezing and it hasn't since, but the SC672 would still pop up intermittently.
    I did some research and found a bulletin indicating that there is a power saving F/W update that can resolve this issue. A very kind member was generous enough to provide me with all the latest updates.
    I installed the F/W and the machine has run without issue for nearly 2 weeks until it popped SC672-12 twice today.
    In that same bulletin there were a number of other things like checking LED patterns on the controller board to rule in or out other issues, and to Disconnect the FCU, and also that there was a somewhat common issue with the USB connector from the Op panel to controller.
    All of the LED patterns seem proper. I've not gone back yet to disconnect or replace the FCU to see if that helps.
    I didn't find any threads specifically related to this model, but I found THIS ONE for the MP C4503, where Imprestik describes replacing the USB cable.
    I don't have much knowledge at all on this type of issue, so I'm wondering if swapping the USB cable could be done in a similar way without having to go though what looks like a lot of trouble doing it the way the Bulletin tells me to, and is it just a standard USB to micro USB cable?

Thanks for taking the time!

EDIT: Just after posting this, the customer is now reporting the screen freezing again. My gut tells me this has to be the USB connector, so just looking for some thoughts and similar experiences anyone might have.
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 12-14-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SC672-12 on MP C401

Re: SC672-12 on MP C401

First thing to try is unplug and reconnect the USB that goes from the controller to the panel. If that doesn't help, then replace the cable. I believe a standard 6 foot cable should work.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    SC672-12 on MP C401

Sometimes it's the USB cable. Sometimes it's the op panel itself. Sometimes it's the controller. Other times it's the MBU on the Fax that becomes "un-seated" (this seems to be the most common).

SC672-12 on MP C401

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Sometimes it's the USB cable. Sometimes it's the op panel itself. Sometimes it's the controller. Other times it's the MBU on the Fax that becomes "un-seated" (this seems to be the most common).
    Thanks.
    Sounds like you've dealt with this a few times. I won't get back in there until the first of the week to have a another go at it, and as I said, this is an issue that I've not had before, so in looking at the Bulletin, it looks like a miserable job to replace the cable- including the removal of the entire scanner unit. Is that really necessary? Or is there any trick or shortcut to feed the cable through that you know of?
    Also, does it just take standard USB type C (?) cable.

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    in most cases we have a bad operation panel (MPC3004) followed by usb cable then controller.
    Aye! Cut the crap

SC672-12 on MP C401

Quote Originally Posted by keithxxiii View Post
    in most cases we have a bad operation panel (MPC3004) followed by usb cable then controller.
    Since the error is clearable, and the machine went nearly 2 weeks between occurrences (until Friday), I'm leaning towards a sketchy or loose connection either at the operation panel or maybe the FCU? Although I re-seated that when I had the problem initially.
    The vast majority of issues I've had with controller/ circuit boards typically were permanent errors or at least very regular.
    Any thoughts on that logic ?
    I'm going there in the morning, and I will probably start by removing the FCU for the day, and re-seating the USB, just to see what happens, before I start trying to re-route a new USB cable.

I hate intermittent problems with so many possible causes!

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Since the error is clearable, and the machine went nearly 2 weeks between occurrences (until Friday), I'm leaning towards a sketchy or loose connection either at the operation panel or maybe the FCU? Although I re-seated that when I had the problem initially.
    The vast majority of issues I've had with controller/ circuit boards typically were permanent errors or at least very regular.
    Any thoughts on that logic ?
    I'm going there in the morning, and I will probably start by removing the FCU for the day, and re-seating the USB, just to see what happens, before I start trying to re-route a new USB cable.

I hate intermittent problems with so many possible causes!
    I'm trying to send a copy of RTB to you but it doesn't get sent.
    Aye! Cut the crap

SC672-12 on MP C401

Quote Originally Posted by keithxxiii View Post
    I'm trying to send a copy of RTB to you but it doesn't get sent.
    I appreciate it, but I did mention that I have the bulletin. What's not clear in the bulletin is if the error is typically permanent or not. The fact that the machine went 2 weeks before re-occurrences makes finding the actual solution difficult, and frustrating to say the least.
    So I was just asking to see if anyone had dealt with the issue on this model specifically, and could provide some input on their experience. I'm hesitant to start removing the entire scanner to replace the USB cable, and/or replacing the controller just yet, since it happens so infrequently.
    It's now been another 4 days without showing up again, and as I mentioned, yesterday, I returned to remove the FCU and I re-seated both ends of the USB cable.
    I also acquired a parts machine yesterday, so I'll wait to see if it comes back and will continue to take steps to replace the suggested parts as needed until it stops.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

i feel your pain with that sc672 code as i am mucking with one here myself that i had sold but cant since
    it started to throw sc672-11 and then sc672-12..My op panel is a SOP panel..
    I did the FW,i think it was power saver that could remedy code,and then removed fax option,pulled the onboard chip and cleaned
    with alcohol and then removed HD..Reseated all controller connectors..
    Nothing changed still random sc672-12..
    I like you didnt want to rip apart machine to snake a usb to Control panel harness but i pulled all rear/feed side covers
    and then the 2 screws that hold the optics frame to main chassis and was able to "temp" place the usb harness w/out removing the old one..
    That too did not help...I think I used a mpc300 tested harness I had...
    SO its now off to the"get to later" side of the shop...

SC672-12 on MP C401

So just to update where I am on this machine.....

4 weeks ago while re-seating connectors, I noticed that the usb connector from the OP panel to the main USB cable that runs to the back of the machine fit very loosely, so I removed the OP panel from my 'parts' machine and swapped it over. The connector fit much more snugly, and the code has not returned.
    In the meantime, I installed the questionable OP panel on to my other machine. I had only powered it up a few times and for shorts periods in the last few weeks until today when I was working on it with the idea of getting it back into resale condition. After a couple hours of "on" time and testing...up popped an SC672!
    It's one of those rare times I was actually happy to see an error code because it seems that this confirmed my theory that the issue might just be the connector.
    Hopefully it helps save someone some time down the road.