ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Ricoh mp2851 missing function

I got a call on this machine 3 hours away. I get there and am told the "Other functions" button doesn't work. They used it to attache documents to scans. You press the button and it just beeps. The first thing I think of is firmware. When I go to put the card in, I see the java card popped out. I power down , insert card, reboot and still broke. I load firmware, no fix. I ask more questions and finally get this.

Ricoh was providing service until I took over. Two weeks earlier, there as a short in the network cable and a board was replaced. I assume it was the controller board. That is when they lost the feature. I can find nothing in the manual about having to do something to activate it. Am I missing something? Did the other guy put in a bad board. The customer is a Wells Fargo location, so just swapping a board can be an issue, the way they do security.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh mp2851 missing function

Re: Ricoh mp2851 missing function

The 'other function' button is for using a preset JAVA APP. If there is no JAVA APP stored for the other function button, it will beep when pressed. The stored APP most likely was lost if the controller board was replaced.

One thing to bear in mind, if the JAVA card is removed while power is applied or is removed without stopping JAVA, there is a possibility that the controller board and the JAVA card will be toast.

My guess as to the scenario:
    An inexperienced tech went to update firmware and removed the JAVA card in order to use that slot for the card containing the update but did not STOP JAVA.
    When power was reapplied, the controller was toasted and the tech was unable to update firmware.
    Tech replaced the controller and updated firmware.

The first thing to do is determine if the JAVA card is operational. With the machine on for at least 15 minutes(this allows JAVA to load) and try to go to Extended Features.

There's also a chance that they may have had OCR running.
    I did the exact same thing the other week where I had to fit a new controller but forgot to put the OCR card into the new Controller...whoops.
    So the OCR function was no longer available.
    Had to return onsite and fit the OCR back to the machine and install it....my bad.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The 'other function' button is for using a preset JAVA APP. If there is no JAVA APP stored for the other function button, it will beep when pressed. The stored APP most likely was lost if the controller board was replaced.

One thing to bear in mind, if the JAVA card is removed while power is applied or is removed without stopping JAVA, there is a possibility that the controller board and the JAVA card will be toast.

My guess as to the scenario:
    An inexperienced tech went to update firmware and removed the JAVA card in order to use that slot for the card containing the update but did not STOP JAVA.
    When power was reapplied, the controller was toasted and the tech was unable to update firmware.
    Tech replaced the controller and updated firmware.

The first thing to do is determine if the JAVA card is operational. With the machine on for at least 15 minutes(this allows JAVA to load) and try to go to Extended Features.

Thanks for that basic info that makes a lot of sense. I have been 90% HP for the past year and forget some of the basics. What bothers me is neither Hytech, Ricoh or the Ricoh tech at my shop or the IT guys who sets up these Wells Fargo machines happened to bring any of that up.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

It is also possible that a user changed the Function Key Allocation settings, under System Settings.