Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Interesting Problem on C3503

Long-ish Post, but bear with me.

Had to help a fellow tech yesterday that was stumped on a machine (Ricoh MP C3503). He had some lines showing up on the printouts, but only on a certain paper (32lb) and a certain document (In-Design). The lines shown in the photos below on the printout were about 2 inches apart, on the roller maybe a quarter inch or less spaced. Lines ALWAYS showed up in the Same spot on printout. Printout is LEF. Other tech tried new Magenta Drum unit, new ITB, new Transfer Roller, and had been trying to trouble shoot this problem for DAYS! Well it turned out to be a simple solution (that the customer completely disagrees with!).
    I had their IT send the document to a C3003 upstairs, went up, and behold NO LINES (So I'm thinking "Dammit, some kind of problem resides in that other machine.") After comparing printouts from the separate machines for a few minutes, realized that one printout had margins (No lines), and the other Edge to Edge print (LINES). Had the lady turn EtoE print off, and Voila! No lines!!!
    Just wanted to post this on here under the "weird problem/ Easy solution" to hopefully help some poor fellow out that may be stumped by this.

Now a question for you guys. Will an Imageable Area Extension Unit (Transfer Roller) solve the Edge to Edge Print issue? We have one on order and are going to try it, but if I remember correctly, even with that roller, don't you still have to trim the "borders" off to make it appear as Full Bleed? Or is that only on the Larger 11x17 paper? Thanks In advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Re: Interesting Problem on C3503

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post

Had to help a fellow tech yesterday that was stumped on a machine (Ricoh MP C3503). He had some lines showing up on the printouts, but only on a certain paper (32lb) and a certain document (In-Design). The lines shown in the photos below on the printout were about 2 inches apart, on the roller maybe a quarter inch or less spaced. Lines ALWAYS showed up in the Same spot on printout. Printout is LEF. Other tech tried new Magenta Drum unit, new ITB, new Transfer Roller, and had been trying to trouble shoot this problem for DAYS! Well it turned out to be a simple solution (that the customer completely disagrees with!).
    I had their IT send the document to a C3003 upstairs, went up, and behold NO LINES (So I'm thinking "Dammit, some kind of problem resides in that other machine.") After comparing printouts from the separate machines for a few minutes, realized that one printout had margins (No lines), and the other Edge to Edge print (LINES). Had the lady turn EtoE print off, and Voila! No lines!!!
    Just wanted to post this on here under the "weird problem/ Easy solution" to hopefully help some poor fellow out that may be stumped by this.

Now a question for you guys. Will an Imageable Area Extension Unit (Transfer Roller) solve the Edge to Edge Print issue? We have one on order and are going to try it, but if I remember correctly, even with that roller, don't you still have to trim the "borders" off to make it appear as Full Bleed? Or is that only on the Larger 11x17 paper? Thanks In advance.

have you tried to update the firmware, in particular the pdf and printer part? I had strange problems printing on other models solved with firmware update pdf

Retired 10,000+ Posts

If I remember correctly, the Imageable Area Extension Unit is for paper wider than 11' such as 13X18 to prevent jamming.

Edge to edge printing is meant to be used for SRA3.
    It's designed to allow trim marks to be printed...it's not supported by Ricoh for A4/Letter use.
    I struck the same fault as yours quite a lot and it wasn't until I had it explained by a Ricoh support tech that the penny dropped.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post

I would try updating ALL fw files & also the driver.

With the M3 extension kit you still need to trim the blank areas.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    have you tried to update the firmware, in particular the pdf and printer part? I had strange problems printing on other models solved with firmware update pdf
    Firmware is up to date, and tried multiple drivers. Sticking with PCL6.