Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    scan to folder to PC ok, to lap top failed

Re: scan to folder to PC ok, to lap top failed

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    In addition, my laptop and PC have the exact same updates. The laptop is fine as far as file sharing and scanning go, only the PC has the issue
    This could have to do with one of the major problems with Windows 10. Not all Windows 10 are the same. In all likelyhood, the original build numbers are dofferent.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Always check the basics, especially on the computers / laptop. MS updates will often "correct threats". Recheck the folder properties, and the sharing permissions.
    Try using an IP address instead of a computer name in the path.
    Make sure the computer is on a "work, home or private network" NOT public.
    As a last ditch, I have added a new user with administrator credentials and then it works ( go figure )

Good luck
    Re. Add new user account to fix SMB1 scan faults.

I've seen the above SMB scan fault, its been a few years ago now though.

I believe it may come about from deleting the entire shared "Scan" folder verses deleting each file individually from the scan folder.
    By deleting the entire scan folder,I believe the shared folder credentials are held over in Windows "Restore" services function software somehow, and this will not allow the creating of the same shared folder while allocating the old user ACL.

Buy creating a new user the old(deleted) share folder can be created new again and shared to the new user settings allowing SMB to scan to the new created same shared folder.

The above is only theory, I have not spent any time looking for the fault, I only did the new-user account PC fix at that time, and then left the customers office.

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    scan to folder to PC ok, to lap top failed

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post

I believe it may come about from deleting the entire shared "Scan" folder verses deleting each file individually from the scan folder.
    By deleting the entire scan folder,I believe the shared folder credentials are held over in Windows "Restore" services function software somehow and this will not allow the creating of the same shared folder while allocating the old user ACL.

Buy creating a new user the old(deleted) share folder can be created new again and shared to the new user settings allowing SMB to scan to the new created same shared folder.

The above is only theory, I have not spent any time looking for the fault, I only did the new-user account PC fix at that time and then left the customers office.

HTH
    What I used to tell my customers was to move the file oiut of the scan folder, not delete.

You are right as far as deleting folders. Every item created has an object number. It is noit used for anything specific, just internal to Windows, like MAC numbers on electronic devices or Process IDs in Unix, Xenix Lynix. If you delete then recreate a folder, it is best to go into the address book and search the target folder again.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    What I used to tell my customers was to move the file oiut of the scan folder, not delete.

You are right as far as deleting folders. Every item created has an object number. It is noit used for anything specific, just internal to Windows, like MAC numbers on electronic devices or Process IDs in Unix, Xenix Lynix. If you delete then recreate a folder, it is best to go into the address book and search the target folder again.
    The numbers are called Global Unique Identifiers or GUID's in computing software terms.
    They are a software algorithm generated numbers which are unique to all other computing numbers in existence.
    GUID's are said to be absolutely unique so as to identify any item,function,algorithm or app that exists in global world wide computing terms.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post

By deleting the entire scan folder,I believe the shared folder credentials are held over in Windows "Restore" services function software somehow, and this will not allow the creating of the same shared folder while allocating the old user ACL.

The above is only theory, I have not spent any time looking for the fault, I only did the new-user account PC fix at that time, and then left the customers office.

HTH
    i have add a new account, no good. I have installed the latest firmware, no good. Right now i am dis-installing Norton, please wait for that.

i have removed Norton, no good.

made another folder on desk top, no good.

update:
    It's a bug in the latest upgrade in Windows 7 or in Win 2008 of this month:
    The exact number of the update is:
    Windows update KB4480970

Go to config screen, windows update, historie of updates, and look for this.
    If it's in the list, run this on the pc:

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\system /v LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Don't ask me how to run it, but this needs to be activated "somewhere". I'm sorry, but the IT'er was so fast, i could not follow what he did (team viewer).

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Definitely get the customer's IT to do this, I wouldn't like to take down a server when changing a registry key.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.