Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    scan to folder to PC ok, to lap top failed

Re: scan to folder to PC ok, to lap top failed

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    made another folder on desk top, no good.
    Create a folder on C:\ share with full read/write permissions keep it simple.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Did some research. "Patch Lady" is reporting that "the issue is triggered if the user (Ricoh device) attempting to make the connection is an administrator on the machine (windows 7 computer) that hosts the shared folder. If the user (Ricoh) is JUST a USER (not administrator) on the device (computer) that hosts the share, the connection should be fine.

The solution appears to be to create a new user (not admistrator) with full control, read and write permissions and use those settings for folder authentication.

I just had 2 clients yesterday with this same issue, I will test the solution Monday, and report back.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Just an update from my end.....
    I joined this thread early on to confirm that I had experienced this issue with a couple of customers on Win 7 systems, but that my own scanner had also stopped working seemingly at the same time, and file sharing had become impossible on my own Win 10 system.
    In following along with the thread it seems that the original issue is entirely related to Win 7 systems. My own issue appears to have been entirely coincidental, as I have since reinstalled my OS, and installed all of the current updates and everything is back to normal.
    It was just a really strange issue...and timing, I assumed it must be the same thing

Thanks to everyone for their input and research into the solutions offered here.��

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Whenever I create a "Scan" user I give them "User" not "Administrator" rights to hopefully prevent malicious problems on the account. In fact with Windows XP and 7 there was away to make the user "hidden" from the startup menu. This was handy to prevent users from logging into that account or thinking they had to be on that account to scan.

My experience with Win7 and Win10
    Setting up a new account as "User" or "Administrator" did not help
    Using the users login did not help
    Changing DHCP over TCP/IP did not help

There are several Youtube videos that talk about fixing SMB shares between windows computers and NAS drives. There are several services that seem to be getting turned off and when turned on it allows SMB to work again. Does not seem to be working with the PC's I have come across though.

Ultimately when this happens I explain that it was a Microsoft Security update that is disabling the communication between the MFP and the computers. The three options are:
    1) Scan to email
    2) Scan to FTP
    3) Scan to HDD of copier

No particular order.

Just had to scan to my Win10 at the house. Rarely used so I have not tried. Anyway is has scanned in the past. Would not work today. The only 3 things I did today was reinput the password just to confirm it. Did not work. Went into the folder "Properties" and added a new "Shared As" name for the same folder. The folder was "Scans" on the "C" drive. I gave it a new "Shared As" name of "Scans2" and it worked.
    Last edited by mincopier; 01-13-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Just had my 4th customer call with this. This problem is specific to Windows 7 SMB scan to folder.

And all of these problems were Win 7 and scans would fail. Last week, After a security update.

All problems were resolved walking them through adding another user ( standard user, not administrator) and using that user name and password for folder authentication. This assumes you have the folder shared with Everyone, to Read and Write.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Just had my 4th customer call with this. This problem is specific to Windows 7 SMB scan to folder.

And all of these problems were Win 7 and scans would fail. Last week, After a security update.

All problems were resolved walking them through adding another user ( standard user, not administrator) and using that user name and password for folder authentication. This assumes you have the folder shared with Everyone, to Read and Write.
    Did you try changing "only the password" for each account,instead of creating a complete new user?
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Did you try changing "only the password" for each account,instead of creating a complete new user?

I just created a new STANDARD USER , not administrator. It fixed every call last week

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    I just created a new STANDARD USER , not administrator. It fixed every call last week
    This makes no sense, Administrator has more rights that a standard user weird!

No seen this issue in The UK yet but will refer back to this thread if it does.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post

As I see it, since an Administrator more rights when logged locally, he/she can also do more havoc. For that reason Microsoft decided to not allow an Administrator to use SMB to right files.

For scan to SMB scan to folder I have always created a STANDARD USER and given that user full rights to the scan folder only.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post

Must likely a firewall policy issue ie, Domain, WAN, LAN control restriction.

Microsoft shares on a peer network are treated as just an O/S extension of the local machine.
    The MFD's sit on the same peer network and accesses operating system shares of the relevant PC's.
    The MFD becomes a logical software extension on the users PC, an therefor all UAC's apply.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••