Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    bbsearchlight

Repair Guy Uses Tons of Paper

Hi Everyone,

The repair guy for our Ricoh copy machine is at our work on average once a week. After repairing the problem, he runs 7 - 10 reams of paper
    through the machine every single time (That is between 3500 and 5000 pieces of paper). Is this normal? The picture shows the amount of paper he ran through the machine last week. IMG_0024.jpg

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Repair Guy Uses Tons of Paper

O.K so there's always reasons for people doing things so lets look at a couple things. 1. What type of machine do you have. 2. What type of issues are you having that he comes out once a week. 3. What type of volume are you running on your machine (how many prints per day). With a little info maybe we can help you figure out why he runs this amount of prints. It does seem excessive but there must be a reason.

To be brutally honest no way. 2000 sheets is the absolute max i need to test a 90 to 130 page per minute high volume machine. Take the readings on the machine before he starts and make sure he takes note of that.
    You can't be billed for the prints and need to be compensated for the paper if he does not bring his own.
    Did you guys piss him off? Don't piss off the copier guy.

Internal test prints don't add to the count are those prints or copies.

And if i know i found and fixed the problem less than a 100 print is good for me.
    Whatever

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

That does seem unusual. Especially having to service the copier once a week! As for running that many pages it tells me he was probably testing for jamming on a high volume machine.
    If machine is under contract call company and tell them to bring their own paper next time if they are going to run more than 100 pages to test. If not already store paper away from copier. When tech asks for paper give him 100 sheets no more! 100 sheets is more than enough for 99.9% service calls.

I would think you wouldn't buy a Ricoh again. Look at Konica Minolta next time.

Wanted to add something after reading allan's post. I disagree with what he said about pissing the tech off. Customers piss me off all the time but I don't waste a case of their paper because of it. If you have to worry about something like that than it is time to find a new copier company.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Are you calling once a week for some intermittent squeak that can only be heard while running the machine? If so, he can't run the machine without paper.

If not contact his manager not us.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I'm with allan I think someone is pissed off. I was just trying to see if we could get more info just to be sure. Usually no more than 200 test prints for me depending on the issue, usually more like 100. Unless this is a pro series it would take forever to print that amount of pages. I wouldn't want to stand around and wait for those to print. The machine must have a LCIT.

And I love my Ricoh machines wouldn't have it any other way

Expecting a call. 100+ Posts Paper_Jam's Avatar

He probably is just running up the total counter to get more clicks on the contract lol. I have never seen so much paper run you should get credit for all that.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    That does seem unusual. Especially having to service the copier once a week! As for running that many pages it tells me he was probably testing for jamming on a high volume machine.
    If machine is under contract call company and tell them to bring their own paper next time if they are going to run more than 100 pages to test. If not already store paper away from copier. When tech asks for paper give him 100 sheets no more! 100 sheets is more than enough for 99.9% service calls.

I would think you wouldn't buy a Ricoh again. Look at Konica Minolta next time.

Wanted to add something after reading allan's post. I disagree with what he said about pissing the tech off. Customers piss me off all the time but I don't waste a case of their paper because of it. If you have to worry about something like that than it is time to find a new copier company.
    It's always a bad idea to piss off, or interact unnecessarily with the copier guy. Here's why: We may be working on a very difficult problem, and many end users think we're lazy, weak, and nothing more than glorified, specialized 'custodians' placed in their office on a service call for their personal amusement, or to even abuse us.
    It takes us longer to service the machine, and we might mess it up, not deliberately, but because we were distracted at a crucial moment. I had a lovely couple once that decided a great time to pepper me with questions I already answered was while I had the TINIEST CLIP IN THEIR DOCUMENT FEEDER in a very hard-to-install spot.
    Well, guess what? it fell down in the HARDEST TO GET OUT spot! ANOTHER half hour of service $$ from you, Mr. & Mrs. Customer!!
    Not to mention, most customers 'get it' or have enough class to be at least civil to us no matter what is going on with their machine. Most technicians also won't waste that much paper without good reason. I wonder if the poster ASKED the tech. without calling his office (if he's not the owner like me) and stabbing him in the back over it??

Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bbsearchlight View Post
    Hi Everyone,

The repair guy for our Ricoh copy machine is at our work on average once a week. After repairing the problem, he runs 7 - 10 reams of paper
    through the machine every single time (That is between 3500 and 5000 pieces of paper). Is this normal? The picture shows the amount of paper he ran through the machine last week. IMG_0024.jpg
    Have you asked him directly, why so many test prints? And, I agree, don't pay for test prints if you have a contract. Internal prints don't run up the counter, but still uses up paper.

It's possible he has been told if he doesn't fix your jamming issue he's FIRED. And, your office has neglected to notice or tell him that it only jams under this one very specific condition or, it's jamming in the doc. feeder and the caller to his company keeps saying paper jam and never mentioning it's the ADF that jams once per 1000 pages! Every tiny scrap of info about the problem you give (or don't give) to your tech. can mean the difference between fixed, and 'that guy never fixes it'.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

This all seems innocuous but having CUSTOMERS use this site to rat on us or shame us is a slippery slope. I advise this thread be removed.