Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Scan to folder problems evolving

I had a couple of windows 7 stop due to Microsoft update. Microsoft fix problem but you had to manually go and get update from there catalog update or wait for there next update. With windows 8 and 10 i had to get firmware for smb2/3. Almost every time they do an update from Microsoft it would turn smb1 off.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Scan to folder problems evolving

Ever since Vista (shudder), Micro$oft has blocked "Anonymous Browsing", which means even though you've checked "Everyone" in the folder share, it doesn't work quite the same as "everyone" did on XP. I always create a "Hidden" user just for the copier to access the computer. Include that name in the list, and make sure it's set for Read/Write, and give it FULL Control on the Security tab.

Something else to check is go into your Network and Sharing Center, and click on the connection/properties...select the IPv4 protocol and click on properties, then click the Advanced button...go to the WINS tab, and change from"NetBIOS over DHCP" to "NetBIOS over TCP/IP". SMB and DHCP don't play well together.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    Ever since Vista (shudder), Micro$oft has blocked "Anonymous Browsing", which means even though you've checked "Everyone" in the folder share, it doesn't work quite the same as "everyone" did on XP. I always create a "Hidden" user just for the copier to access the computer. Include that name in the list, and make sure it's set for Read/Write, and give it FULL Control on the Security tab.

Something else to check is go into your Network and Sharing Center, and click on the connection/properties...select the IPv4 protocol and click on properties, then click the Advanced button...go to the WINS tab, and change from"NetBIOS over DHCP" to "NetBIOS over TCP/IP". SMB and DHCP don't play well together.
    WINS is a dead protocol at this point in any modern network. The issue with SMB and DHCP comes down to DNS. There are plenty of customers with SOHO wifi routers that they use for their internal DHCP and DNS. Scavenging (recovering and updating IP addresses of connected devices) is terrible on these, so even though COMPUTER1 registers its name locally, and gets an IP address from the router; if the user powers it down and comes back late to lunch and gets a new IP for the computer, according to DNS, COMPUTER1 is still at the old address. The second common DNS issue is techs setting the MFP to bypass the customer's network and use an external DNS server like 8.8.8.8. Always set the DNS server to the customer's internal one (even if it's just a wifi router), and unless they have a secondary DNS server, don't add another one.

In terms of SMB versions, there's no reason why SMB1 should ever be turned on at this point. It's a dying protocol that will be removed from Windows in a future version, and if a customer's equipment doesn't support it, it's a good way to get a little commission money by getting the customer to upgrade on the basis of security. As for NTFS permissions, the highest level of permissions any account needs to add files to a share is Modify. Never grant a standard user full control to a share since that allows them to change the security settings on the share or files in it, and I have seen customers muck with those to try and block others from seeing specific files.

In domain environments, have local IT create a service account with standard user permissions for MFP's to use to access shares. In local environments, a local user with standard rights is always going to go over a little easier, especially on a customer workstation.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I had this happen on 4 different clients, it was a result of a windows 7 security update.
    You folder authentication on the Ricoh CANNOT be an administrator.

This corrected all 4 clients, create a new STANDARD user on the host (destination) computer with a user name and password.
    Use this for your folder authentication.

Thanks for all the feedback and information everyone, hopefully we have all picked up a new idea or two in here.
    I will try some of these suggestions next time this problem is presented to me.
    I hear Ricohs new line of machines are just coming out changing the standard MPC to IMC or something and can scan to dropbox and onedrive etc so I wonder what new troubles can come out of this

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Scan to folder problems evolving

Almost every tip/trick/idea on this thread falls in line with what is said on the Ricoh Tech Forum. Win 7 and 2008 update is the cause, most common workaround is to make a new "non-administrative" user and change auth. info in machine for that folder to match.
    Or have customers IT apply the Microsoft update patch Microsoft Update Catalog (be sure to restart after).

I think we will see support for SMB1 disappear across all OS in the VERY near future.