Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scan to folder problems evolving

Hi everyone,
    I'm sure we all know that as windows 8, 8.1 and 10 coming out caused some hell with scanning to folder. Often it was easily cured by updating firmware on certain generation models. Pretty much every time I find something new that makes a scan to folder fail, I find the solution to it.
    But last week I had 2 customers phone me and say nothing at all changed on their network or pc (yeh yeh sure) so I remote access their PC. Check the folder is ahred with 'everyone' and ready/write permissions, correct path, username and password. Set advanced network options so file sharing is on, network is discoverable and all that. Make sure firewalls and antiviruses are turned off but still... not working. I even check SMB option in windows features is ticked.
    Both times they said 'I think windows did a big update the other day'.
    Does anyone know if certain windows security updates have rolled out that could be causing this all of a sudden?
    I hope to god this won't suddenly be some epidemic of updates that are so far un-cureable.
    Machines are MPC 305 and MPC 3003 so firmware isn't brand new but definitely in the last 18 months they would have been updated.
    I think both users had windows 10, or possibly one on 7 and one on 10
    Thanks
    Last edited by JayPaul; 01-20-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Scan to folder problems evolving

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm sure we all know that as windows 8, 8.1 and 10 coming out caused some hell with scanning to folder. Often it was easily cured by updating firmware on certain generation models. Pretty much every time I find something new that makes a scan to folder fail, I find the solution to it.
    But last week I had 2 customers phone me and say nothing at all changed on their network or pc (yeh yeh sure) so I remote access their PC. Check the folder is ahred with 'everyone' and ready/write permissions, correct path, username and password. Set advanced network options so file sharing is on, network is discoverable and all that. Make sure firewalls and antiviruses are turned off but still... not working. I even check SMB option in windows features is ticked.
    Both times they said 'I think windows did a big update the other day'.
    Does anyone know if certain windows security updates have rolled out that could be causing this all of a sudden?
    I hope to god this won't suddenly be some epidemic of updates that are so far un-cureable.
    Machines are MPC 305 and MPC 3003 so firmware isn't brand new but definitely in the last 18 months they would have been updated.
    I think both users had windows 10, or possibly one on 7 and one on 10
    Thanks
    win 7 just blocked SM1 10 did a while back.. look for firmware updates to go to FTP scan

Is that the only workaround now, moving to FTP after firmware update?
    Do you know any more about this blocking of SMB by windows? because we could all suddenly be getting a hell of a lot of customers phoning up saying scanning has stopped working in the next few weeks (provided their updates are turned on constantly)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

First time this happened to us, we re-enabled SMB 1.0 and it was all fine until the next big update.

At that point we started using FileZilla FTP server. Anyone that moans about that, we tell them to get a proper file server or NAS drive then.

No good providing stand alone, home edition computers and expecting business level scanning. You want to stick to your existing setup, I’ll leave you with TWAIN Scan to folder problems evolving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Methedor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Did some research. "Patch Lady" is reporting that "the issue is triggered if the user (Ricoh device) attempting to make the connection is an administrator on the machine (windows 7 computer) that hosts the shared folder. If the user (Ricoh) is JUST a USER (not administrator) on the device (computer) that hosts the share, the connection should be fine.

The solution appears to be to create a new user (not admistrator) with full control, read and write permissions and use those settings for folder authentication.

I just had 2 clients yesterday with this same issue, I will test the solution Monday, and report back.
    There is another scanning issue thread below that had this. I've encountered recent scan issues myself. Due to the sporadic nature it would lend credence to the idea of a Windows update. I have make a non-administrative (Standard) account, given it Security (Full Control) permissions and Share permissions, then boom. Its solved the SMB scan issues for me so far.

back to the Windows Update issue there is also, This:
    Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    I realised most of you can't access the website if not in the UK.

Microsoft have released their January 'Monthly Roll-up':
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4480970
    ..which contains important security updates. Unfortunately one of the included updates 'breaks' (read: increases security in an unproductive way) SMB2 shares.
    Allegedly the following registry hack works around the 'problem'; documented here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cy-registry-se
    Many users have claimed success with the hack. RUK TSG are not suggesting you make the registry change; altering HKEY /DWORD data is not without its risks so do so at your own risk.
    You might instead consider rolling back the 'roll-up' until Microsoft have fixed the issue; they've received a lot of complaints apparently.
    We have had problems reported from 4 customers already so this is just a heads up for you to be prepared if asked.
    I have not looked into the links yet, but I hope this, both of these help you out.
    Thanks to StephenB and Paulg for their insight.

Technician

This is from Canon's website "Scan and Send to SMB Fails on Windows 7 SP1 and Server 2008 SP2 due to a Windows Security Patch (Windows 7 SP1 - KB4480970, Server 2008 SP2 - KB4480960) that breaks remote access to SMB Shares on Windows systems. This is resolved through the release of Microsoft patch update KB4487345 to fix the original patch update. Please use the link in the title of this alert to download and provide to your customers to resolve the Scan and Send to SMB failures the original security patches caused."

In Win 10 you need to enable support for SMB 1.0.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

scan to folder to PC ok, to lap top failed
    threat from a few days ago, saying the same...

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

A customer recently bought 2 new HP Win 10 laptops, and although I got their win 10 desktops scanning with the help of Youtube, I never did get scanning to work on the laptops. SMB1 was enabled. Go figure. Most of the frustration I experience in the field is because of this friggin scanning method that is at the mercy of changes in the Microsoft products.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    Is that the only workaround now, moving to FTP after firmware update?
    Do you know any more about this blocking of SMB by windows? because we could all suddenly be getting a hell of a lot of customers phoning up saying scanning has stopped working in the next few weeks (provided their updates are turned on constantly)
    SMB1 is a portal into servers to spread viri and malware and ransomware.

DO NOT INIT SMB1... you could open yourself up for law suits

Quote Originally Posted by WildbillC View Post
    This is from Canon's website "Scan and Send to SMB Fails on Windows 7 SP1 and Server 2008 SP2 due to a Windows Security Patch (Windows 7 SP1 - KB4480970, Server 2008 SP2 - KB4480960) that breaks remote access to SMB Shares on Windows systems. This is resolved through the release of Microsoft patch update KB4487345 to fix the original patch update. Please use the link in the title of this alert to download and provide to your customers to resolve the Scan and Send to SMB failures the original security patches caused."
    In Win 10 you need to enable support for SMB 1.0.
    NO do not enable SMB1 this is a RANSOMWARE pipeline. You could be in for lawsuits if th customers server gets infected.