Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

New customer, opinions on their models

Everyone:
    In the next few weeks I'm potentially picking up a new customer with five MP 4055's and two MP C6502's.

It looks like waste toner can be an issue on the C6502, but are there any other headaches to look out for in these two models?

In seeing any model with a 40, 50, or 60 in the model I think back to the older 35/45 and later 40/50 page machines which were total pigs, have those changed?

I'm guessing that both of these use the newer service mode like the 3353?

Thanks for any advice you can give. I'll be going out to look over the environment later this week, but I like to go in with as much information as possible.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    New customer, opinions on their models

Re: New customer, opinions on their models

The C6502 does tend to have a toner consumption problem. The problem is caused by the fact that Ricoh has it set to try to maintain high print quality by keeping the toner in the development unit as fresh as they can. They do this by running toner refresh at power on and at regular intervals during the day when the machine is setting idle. This in effect dumps older toner to the waste toner bottle and then retones the developer. The more under utilized the machine, the more toner is wasted doing refresh, i.e. too little total volume, too little color percentage and/or too low average page per job. There are SP settings that will help. The main thing is to set it to toner refresh/process control no more than once a day. There are a number of other threads on the C6502 that discuss it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts CopyBats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The C6502 does tend to have a toner consumption problem. The problem is caused by the fact that Ricoh has it set to try to maintain high print quality by keeping the toner in the development unit as fresh as they can. They do this by running toner refresh at power on and at regular intervals during the day when the machine is setting idle. This in effect dumps older toner to the waste toner bottle and then retones the developer. The more under utilized the machine, the more toner is wasted doing refresh, i.e. too little total volume, too little color percentage and/or too low average page per job. There are SP settings that will help. The main thing is to set it to toner refresh/process control no more than once a day. There are a number of other threads on the C6502 that discuss it.

If you're taking over these machines under service contract I'll recommend you check to make sure someone has not nuked the SP settings on the machine and done a hail Mary reset. Potential to cause problems down the road and the customer will only blame you. If you're charging the customer on visit basis then that is fine. However if it's a maintenance agreement then good idea to have a look to see atleast if birth certificate is there. Helps set expectations for clients. I've had clients who thought they were tech savvy do a reset because they " found it online" and thought it could resolve their problem.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Everyone:
    In the next few weeks I'm potentially picking up a new customer with five MP 4055's and two MP C6502's.

It looks like waste toner can be an issue on the C6502, but are there any other headaches to look out for in these two models?

In seeing any model with a 40, 50, or 60 in the model I think back to the older 35/45 and later 40/50 page machines which were total pigs, have those changed?

I'm guessing that both of these use the newer service mode like the 3353?

Thanks for any advice you can give. I'll be going out to look over the environment later this week, but I like to go in with as much information as possible.
    The 4055 has nothing in common engine wise with the 4002/5002 and their predecessors. They share the same engine as the 2555/2554 series machines and are a significant improvement.