Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    W. Kugelblitz

Why don't these old gestetner CP drums fit my Nashuatec

I recently bought an old Nashuatec CopyPrinter with only one drum, around the same time i was gifted an older version of the same type machine which was marketed under the Gestetner brand with two drums, but that one had all the belts disintegrating inside.

I figured, since both machines and the drums seem pretty similar inside and out, the gestetner drums might fit the Nashuatec, well.... they do almost

The drum that came with the machine goes “click” at the end of the line, the Gestetner drums go in fine, but just before the end stop and refuse to click.

I've had a pretty thorough look at both drums and there is only one part that seems slightly dissimilar, a metal spacer of some kind near the plug (see pictures). But some measurements later it seems only to be different in width, and I don’t see why that should be of any consequence…..

Are there any old techs here that know why my Gestener drums don’t “click” into my machine and if I can remedy this?

Some numbers:

My machine is a Nashuatec CopyPrinter CP327

And the Gestetner drum storage box says: CopyPrinter CPDRT3

Some pics:
    On the left gestetner on the right nashuatec

Thanks in advance!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Re: Why don't these old gestetner CP drums fit my Nashuatec

no big secret that ricoh,savin,gestener all tweaked connectors or pins to keep other brands from being used on their brand.
    Unless you can pinpoint what that is you are out of luck.
    I d start with the harness and take centered pics of each rear and compare.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Might try giving us individual pictures of the back end of each drum taken straight on, not a picture of both where one is straight on with the other off to the side.

Have you tried looking through the parts catalog to see if there any number differences for the same part?

Finally, why did you put this in the copier technical forum instead of the Digital Duplicators?

W. Kugelblitz

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Might try giving us individual pictures of the back end of each drum taken straight on, not a picture of both where one is straight on with the other off to the side.

Have you tried looking through the parts catalog to see if there any number differences for the same part?

Finally, why did you put this in the copier technical forum instead of the Digital Duplicators?
    You are right, should have posted in the digital duplicators forum, i saw Ricoh, Gestetner and looked no further
    If a moderater would be so kind to move the topic that would be great

here's some decent pics
    a big side by side left one fits, right one doesn't:

and an animated overlap that switches every two secconds:

Where could i find a parts catalog? Internet searches about these part numbers don't get me very far....

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

looks like that bottom lever is smaller on one of them.
    the one wth the Philips screw.
    I would try swapping the lever.
    IF the smaller one works and you get it to work on the other unit you can alway use a grinder to reduce it down afterwards.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Is the problem that the Gestetner drum will not lock in or that the machine will not function with it in?

Looking at the latest photos, the obvious difference is the number of contacts on the connector. My guess is that the Geststner drum is a color drum and the Nashuatec does not have the color option.

As for manuals, I found a link to service-manuals.net by searching Nashuatec CP327.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Pins in blue connector/ different holes around outer ring/ different size metal tabs on lower left side.

Have you looked at the Front of the drums?? I know on a few models (different than these), the stuff on the back is usually good, but sometimes on the front, is an extra post/tab/hole/ cut-out that can make all the difference.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The teeth on the Gestener appear thicker than the other drum. The teeth you can see near the center to the right of the center bracket.

W. Kugelblitz

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    looks like that bottom lever is smaller on one of them.
    the one wth the Philips screw.
    I would try swapping the lever.
    Interesting, i was focussing on the tab under the lever, but i will properly mesure the lever with calipers too….

Is the problem that the Gestetner drum will not lock in or that the machine will not function with it in?
    It won't lock in.

Looking at the latest photos, the obvious difference is the number of contacts on the connector. My guess is that the Geststner drum is a color drum and the Nashuatec does not have the color option.

I also have a black getetner drum with the same pin config as the nashuatec one, and that one doesn't fit either. Plus the manual states that colour drums are an option.

I've also taken off the back plate of the machine, and i can see that the plug doesn't even get to it's female counterpart, so the problem shouldn't be there….

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Pins in blue connector/ different holes around outer ring/ different size metal tabs on lower left side.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Have you looked at the Front of the drums?? I know on a few models (different than these), the stuff on the back is usually good, but sometimes on the front, is an extra post/tab/hole/ cut-out that can make all the difference.

Those holes on the outer ring, i actually haven't propperly investigated, and i will also have an extra good look at the front (as far as i can see though, it hits all the right points....)

Quote Originally Posted by mo0651 View Post
    The teeth on the Gestener appear thicker than the other drum. The teeth you can see near the center to the right of the center bracket.

hmmmm…. you are right, but this might be optical illusion/lighting, 'cause i gave this a propper look in the workshop and it seemed the same. But i will give it an extra look over again.

Thanks for all the answers and thinking along with me!!!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mo0651 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Kugelblitz View Post
    hmmmm…. you are right, but this might be optical illusion/lighting, 'cause i gave this a propper look in the workshop and it seemed the same. But i will give it an extra look over again.
    This could definitely be the problem. If they are thicker, it will prevent insertion full insertion of the drum. There is a similarly flanges gear on the main frame of the machine. The openings on the flanges and the teeth between them must align exactly in order for the drum to be inserted. This is to ensure that both the drum and the main drive are at home position when inserting the drum. I have had to physically home the main drive when customers have trouble inserting the drum.