Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    W3601, bad mojo.

W3601, bad mojo.

Hi, All. Here's the deal. I have a w3601 that I was running, and I had a misfeed which broke the separation corona wire. I replaced the wire, and then I was getting toner spotting. I went ahead and did a developer change, and changed the dev unit mylar seal, and the cleaning blade. Now I am getting this dark background crap. I inspected all connections, and they are ok. Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this? This is one of those machines I have not been formally trained on, but I have a manual, and I am alone on this repair (just like all of them). Thanks, Mika
    Attached Files Attached Files
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Re: W3601, bad mojo.

i wish i could help you but i dont see any wide formats.
    The first copy was what you were getting b4 dev change?
    the 2nd what you have now?
    If so did you ck dev unit contacts,grounds,all corona end caps?
    it looks like the dev unit is losing bias..
    Again i am only thinking in mp6001 mode so if any of this if off i
    am only looking in terms of what i work on..

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I have never work on one. May take would be charge roller in drum unit no making connection.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Did you handle the charge corona assembly? Had similar once when I snagged a grid wire on a bracket, shorting it the chassis.

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

There is a latch behind the charge corona assy that is quite difficult to reconnect. Also, when you change the transfer and sep wires, those 4 plastic guides should be installed accordingly. And again, recheck those connectors.
    Aye! Cut the crap

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I'm assuming that the sample is from a counter page from another machine..If so..

Its the recovery blade on the cleaning unit, worn to a point that its not bring the toner into the cleaning unit. Not bad to fix(figure 2 hours if its your first time) but its a expensive blade. Just be very careful of the drum..easy to scratch or ding and that cost is about 1G. You will need to pull out the drum. The trick is to loosen the drum drive pulley when removing and reinstalling the bracket with the 4 screws. Also there is a frame screw on the left side that you will want to un-screw so as not to interfere with the removal of the drum unit. Don't take the screw out completely but just enough so you can pull the drum unit out. Replace the drum cleaning blade while your there and also the main charge unit. That will add another hour to the repair but save you a recall. Again be very careful with the drum.

Keep in mind that a contract for this machine is 10 cents per liner foot, so if the customer complains about the cost and he has 60K on the unit (about the time that the blade goes bad) he is already up 6G

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    I'm assuming that the sample is from a counter page from another machine..If so..

Its the recovery blade on the cleaning unit, worn to a point that its not bring the toner into the cleaning unit. Not bad to fix(figure 2 hours if its your first time) but its a expensive blade. Just be very careful of the drum..easy to scratch or ding and that cost is about 1G. You will need to pull out the drum. The trick is to loosen the drum drive pulley when removing and reinstalling the bracket with the 4 screws. Also there is a frame screw on the left side that you will want to un-screw so as not to interfere with the removal of the drum unit. Don't take the screw out completely but just enough so you can pull the drum unit out. Replace the drum cleaning blade while your there and also the main charge unit. That will add another hour to the repair but save you a recall. Again be very careful with the drum.

Keep in mind that a contract for this machine is 10 cents per liner foot, so if the customer complains about the cost and he has 60K on the unit (about the time that the blade goes bad) he is already up 6G
    i dont think you are seeing his problem...
    he changed the drum blade,dev seal mylar,corona and developer.
    the pics i think are b4 and after dev,db replacements.........

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

i know i was a little long winded on my 2 cents but the recovery blade is the problem.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Just to clarify..the recovery blade is the cause of the toner spots on your sample. The background is caused by the Drum being worn to the point of replacement. You can adjust the main charge up and the DV bias lower {more positive} to help with the tint but it won't be clean until the drum is replaced.

hmmmmm
    Why would it be ok wth spots b4 developer and drum blade change?
    I dont do these because the parts are so pricey and would hate to buy 1k worth of parts and
    still have issues getting paid for some new issues.
    I use to keep a small bottle of high voltage dope when working on machines with corona wire charge
    systems and dope the plastic blocks for corona leaking etc etc