Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ricoh MP C 4504

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Ricoh MP C 4504

I have a MP C 4504 that has recently lost its mind. The church it's in had us move machine to allow painters to work behind it. Machine was powered down and moved to middle of room and then powered on. At this point my adventure began. Machine took considerably longer than normal to come ready. No code was given. When machine was ready, print jobs would come out 2 pages at a time. (10 page document would come out in 5 sets of 2 pages). If a door were opened, the screen would display the red outlined box with a flickering image of machine compressed into 1/4" line of pixels. I have formatted HDD, updated firmware, cleaned and re-seated RAM and connectors on main board, control board and user interface. Now when a door is opened, machine stops, but gives no indication on display that anything is wrong. The copier communicates readily with computers on network and scanning is no issue. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Re: Ricoh MP C 4504

stupid question but did you ck the new outlet for ground and proper voltage.
    I can see a church cutting corners by paying a hobbyist to wire an outlet.
    If you move it back to original location anything different?
    is it on a good surge protector?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The machine stayed plugged to same receptacle and surge protector. Tried without protector, no joy.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP C 4504

Quote Originally Posted by jrob416 View Post
    The machine stayed plugged to same receptacle and surge protector. Tried without protector, no joy.
    Did you add an extension cord?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP C 4504

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    stupid question but did you ck the new outlet for ground and proper voltage.
    I can see a church cutting corners by paying a hobbyist to wire an outlet.
    If you move it back to original location anything different?
    is it on a good surge protector?

+1 on this.

I had an issue with a Sharp "Locking Up" where the customer would have to reboot the device, so after troubleshooting we thought the main controller was shot. Swapped it for a different Sharp copier as a loaner, and within 2 days it started doing the exact same thing!!

Brought a line tester, and the AC voltage would fluctuate to as high as 120 VAC, but would drop down as low as 113 VAC. Also saw a 6-8% drop in current under a 15 amp load, and 5% under 20 amp.

Surge protectors are great to help protect against spikes...but they don't do diddly-squat for "Sags".

Good luck.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Did you add an extension cord?
    Actually, removed an extension chord

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    +1 on this.

I had an issue with a Sharp "Locking Up" where the customer would have to reboot the device, so after troubleshooting we thought the main controller was shot. Swapped it for a different Sharp copier as a loaner, and within 2 days it started doing the exact same thing!!

Brought a line tester, and the AC voltage would fluctuate to as high as 120 VAC, but would drop down as low as 113 VAC. Also saw a 6-8% drop in current under a 15 amp load, and 5% under 20 amp.

Surge protectors are great to help protect against spikes...but they don't do diddly-squat for "Sags".

Good luck.
    Machine has been in place at least a year. That’s what has me baffled, no symptoms have shown before this event.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Machine has been in place at least a year. That’s what has me baffled, no symptoms have shown before this event.
    You moved the machine to allow painters to work...has the church had any other work done during this time? In particular, was any electrical work done? I am going along with the previously suggested "bad outlet" theory here.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    You moved the machine to allow painters to work...has the church had any other work done during this time? In particular, was any electrical work done? I am going along with the previously suggested "bad outlet" theory here.
    No sir. No other work being done.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP C 4504

No sir. No other work being done.
    What is the volage hot to neutral?, and how many volts from neutral to ground? Is your surge suppressor a line monitor?