Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    NEW Printer SP Modes

NEW Printer SP Modes

Hi all.
    I've been searching high & low to find the procedure for accessing "special/ factory" SP mode or whatever it may be called on printers without success.

Debs1964 posted the procedure for both regular and 'special' modes in a thread in 2014. Her process for regular SP mode works; however, I didn't need to access higher level SP mode until last week, and when I tried her key sequence for it (and MANY variations), it doesn't work.

I, being one of the most outspoken members about not sharing such information publicly, do not request or expect it to shared here, but if someone who has this information might share it with me in a PM, I'd be grateful!

NOTE: I'm referring ONLY to the newer style printers such as the SP 4520dn which have the small touch screen and limited buttons.
    Touch screen.jpg

Side note: I miss seeing Debs on here and hope she's OK. Hopefully she's just moved on to bigger and brighter things

Thanks!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    NEW Printer SP Modes

Re: NEW Printer SP Modes

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Side note: I miss seeing Debs on here and hope she's OK. Hopefully she's just moved on to bigger and brighter things

Thanks!
    Deborah is fine. She and I are Facebook friends. She hasn't been on here much since her son got elected to public office.

NEW Printer SP Modes

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Deborah is fine. She and I are Facebook friends. She hasn't been on here much since her son got elected to public office.
    Happy to hear that. Thanks for the update, Tim

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    NEW Printer SP Modes

Hi all.
    I've been searching high & low to find the procedure for accessing "special/ factory" SP mode or whatever it may be called on printers without success.

Debs1964 posted the procedure for both regular and 'special' modes in a thread in 2014. Her process for regular SP mode works; however, I didn't need to access higher level SP mode until last week, and when I tried her key sequence for it (and MANY variations), it doesn't work.

I, being one of the most outspoken members about not sharing such information publicly, do not request or expect it to shared here, but if someone who has this information might share it with me in a PM, I'd be grateful!

NOTE: I'm referring ONLY to the newer style printers such as the SP 4520dn which have the small touch screen and limited buttons.
    Touch screen.jpg

Thanks!
    Well Sandy, I perused the manual and came up with a single reference to Special Service mode, and it is only to say it exists. There are no instructions I found for the procedure. I know, not helpful.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

NEW Printer SP Modes

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Well Sandy, I perused the manual and came up with a single reference to Special Service mode, and it is only to say it exists. There are no instructions I found for the procedure. I know, not helpful.
    Haha..... Thanks for looking anyway, Mika.
    Yes, I have all the manuals. Even regular SP mode isn't listed in any of them as far as I can see, but I have that info anyway.
    Btw.... The whole reason for this, that I neglected to mention in my initial post is that the admin and supervisor credentials have been changed and I can't do Squat with the printer, so I'm assuming that the reset procedure is the same as for the mfp's, and I obviously can't access the SP mode that I "think" that I need.
    Frustrating, but Happy Friday just the same!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Haha..... Thanks for looking anyway, Mika.
    Yes, I have all the manuals. Even regular SP mode isn't listed in any of them as far as I can see, but I have that info anyway.
    Btw.... The whole reason for this, that I neglected to mention in my initial post is that the admin and supervisor credentials have been changed and I can't do Squat with the printer, so I'm assuming that the reset procedure is the same as for the mfp's, and I obviously can't access the SP mode that I "think" that I need.
    Frustrating, but Happy Friday just the same!

hey did you see the post from years back regarding using a hex editor to decipher the password by uploading the nvram and using Hxd to read info??
    i toyed wth it many years back b4 finding the SS MODE..

NEW Printer SP Modes

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    hey did you see the post from years back regarding using a hex editor to decipher the password by uploading the nvram and using Hxd to read info??
    Oh right. Yes, I remember seeing that posted a couple of different times. I don't recall any feedback on whether it worked or not. Did you have success with it?

If so, I'll have to search that out.
    Thanks for the tip, Andy.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Oh right. Yes, I remember seeing that posted a couple of different times. I don't recall any feedback on whether it worked or not. Did you have success with it?

If so, I'll have to search that out.
    Thanks for the tip, Andy.
    I WILL EMAIL IT TO YOU...
    I can see it working and i did muck with it but at that time i had a barrage of service headaches all at once...

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

The hexedit hack does work. I did experiment with it and so long as the machine is not encrypted you should be able to edit the NVRAM backup and restore the edited backup to clear passwords. You can likely recover the password as it appears to be simple character substitution used.

NEW Printer SP Modes

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    The hexedit hack does work. I did experiment with it and so long as the machine is not encrypted you should be able to edit the NVRAM backup and restore the edited backup to clear passwords. You can likely recover the password as it appears to be simple character substitution used.
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys!

I uploaded the NVram and used the hex editor to make the suggested changes, but then I was unable to download it back to the machine.
    I searched out the old thread where the information was provided and found a mention from nmfaxman that downloading the NVram would not be possible after it was altered, but he also provided the encryption codes for all of the symbols, and I was able to copy them and crack the code.
    I felt a little like Benedict Cumberbatch in "The Imitation Game" (Just kidding)

Original thread here: Lost supervisor password?
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 03-10-2019 at 09:40 PM.